Gravy's Cooking Thread

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Coorelate that map with the black population. I see a strong resemblance.
Again, note that Dade and Broward county are on the higher end of black populations and still the lowest end of being fat. It's a southern thing, not a black thing.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
There are lots of fat people in the south. I just don't know any of them, just like I mentioned there are lots of people on food stamps and welfare in the south. I just don't know any of them.

It's more a lifestyle problem than a food problem. My family is not exactly the healthiest eaters, but they stay active. No one in my family has died at less than 82, my grandmother eats fried eggs for breakfast every day, goes thru a pound of butter by herself a week, and is 94 but she's active.

If you are glued to the sofa eating the food here ain't gonna help and vice versa.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The south is full of plenty of people on welfare and food stamps, but I don't know any of them either.

Coorelate that map with the black population. I see a strong resemblance.

Percent black population. If you don't live in the cotton belt you have a higher chance to be white and not fat I guess.

USA_2000_black_density.png
This guy just tried to blame all the fat southerners on black people.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just pointing out facts and what I have observed. I no longer live in the south. In the areas where I lived in the south 2 industries were predominant. Timber production and petro chemical. You don't work in either of those (the people I knew) while being fact. The only fat people I actually saw on a regular basis was if I went to wal-mart.

Those that worked and had a real job worked in those two industries. They weren't fat.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Texas is doing pretty well on the obesity scale, at least. At least, according to that study. They may not have gotten a lot of responses due the paranoia that the US government is trying to invade them.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I had a lady yesterday sit at the table to the right of me. She was so large and her tank top was so tight I think she had 6 tits. She had udders. She was huge!

This was in NORTH Carolina so it isn't just a south thing!!

(I know that NC is a southern state)

The Master

Bronze Squire
There are lots of fat people in the south. I just don't know any of them, just like I mentioned there are lots of people on food stamps and welfare in the south. I just don't know any of them.

It's more a lifestyle problem than a food problem. My family is not exactly the healthiest eaters, but they stay active. No one in my family has died at less than 82, my grandmother eats fried eggs for breakfast every day, goes thru a pound of butter by herself a week, and is 94 but she's active.

If you are glued to the sofa eating the food here ain't gonna help and vice versa.
Those are both good for you. Eggs in the morning are an appetite suppressant and butter is straight up good for you. The French consume more per capita than anyone and have one of the lowest incidences of heart disease and obesity. The difference between what Congress decided to say is healthy and what our insane culture took from it is so far away from the actual data that it is comical.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Those are both good for you. Eggs in the morning are an appetite suppressant and butter is straight up good for you. The French consume more per capita than anyone and have one of the lowest incidences of heart disease and obesity. The difference between what Congress decided to say is healthy and what our insane culture took from it is so far away from the actual data that it is comical.
Too much butter can be bad for your liver though. Turn you into foie gras, trust me been there. I was cooking errything in butter to an excess. Go get a physcial and had my liver checked, my doctor tripped when he saw my liver tests. Cut back on butter significantly and now everything is back to normal again. Cholesterol was super fine though =p. Though I think my sedentariness played a big part in it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah please tell me you have an actual diagnosis.

Step over into Health Problems thread if you want to go into it. If you aren't actually a celiac then knock that shit off.
I'm not a celiac, wheat allergy. Pretty much the same effect though.

I find that my cooking hasn't suffered too much overall.I haven't really invested much time into alternatives, I just go with simpler meals and when I go out eat salads or whatever.

Tried gluten free mozzarella sticks the other day, it smelled good, but tasted like dogshit. I am sure there is a way to do this gluten free fried foods thing right, just have to invest some time in it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Use pork rinds and capn crunch, processed in a food processor, as your "breading". Ok maybe not capn crunch, because that's probably got gluten in it? But definitely pork rinds

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Someone just gifted me a brand new granite mortar and pestle. Anything I need to know about before first time use?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I don't think I've ever had the need for a mortar/pestle while cooking. Of course I never had a need for a sous vide machine either.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Someone just gifted me a brand new granite mortar and pestle. Anything I need to know about before first time use?
Wear pants when using it. Don't want an unfortunate grinding accident.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Use pork rinds and capn crunch, processed in a food processor, as your "breading". Ok maybe not capn crunch, because that's probably got gluten in it? But definitely pork rinds
I've tried pork rinds as a substitute for bread crumbs and it wasn't good. First, they're all just fat anyway so they won't absorb any of the juices from whatever you're cooking. Second, they imparted a bitter taste to the food. There's no real substitute for bread crumbs that I have found yet.