Gravy's Cooking Thread

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not a celiac, wheat allergy. Pretty much the same effect though.

I find that my cooking hasn't suffered too much overall.I haven't really invested much time into alternatives, I just go with simpler meals and when I go out eat salads or whatever.

Tried gluten free mozzarella sticks the other day, it smelled good, but tasted like dogshit. I am sure there is a way to do this gluten free fried foods thing right, just have to invest some time in it.
Yeah basically you are cutting out comfort food for the most part. Deep fried stuff as you mentioned. Stick the gluten free mixes from bob's red mills, they got a shit ton of recipes as well for everything on the site.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Someone just gifted me a brand new granite mortar and pestle. Anything I need to know about before first time use?
Unless it's made from Volcanic rock nothing. If it's a legit basalt molcajete just keep grnding small batches of white rice till you don't see any particles in it. Then just mix some garlic, coarse salt and a bit of oil and grind it up and spread it all around. Wash out with a little soap and water and you're done.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Our boy lanx makes a good point, though. I've used corn starch to fry chicken nuggets before. It's a nice, light, crispy coating.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Did you do it the same basic way you would do breading? Like corn starch/egg/corn starch?

I saw some rice breading stuff at the store but I imagine it is no bueno.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I think I just used it in one coat on the moist chicken, and let it rest for a bit in the corn starch. I don't know why an egg wash wouldn't be good though.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't just use corn starch to make your breading. For gluten free stuff you usually need to combine different flours to get the dough to a consistency that is like wheat flour. Instead of corn starch (flavorless and is too fine) use maseca. Maseca is corn flour that has been nixtmalized and has decent flavor and actually nutritious. Mix it with tapica, potato, or rice flour.

You make your flour mix and add the spices. Next you beat an egg or two and dip the meat into the egg batter. Coat it with egg batter and then cover it with the flour mix.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Tell me your tofu crust secrets.
If you deep fry, just a light coat of corn starch, drain the tofu well, if not, itll get soggy cuz the tofu will end up avsorbing lots of oil cuz its too busy trying to evaporate the water away.

Also buy your tofu from a chinese grocer. Is it better? No but its 400 ppercent cheaper. The same tofu in a shop rite will be 4 bucks, while its always on sale for 1.25 or less at a chinese grocer.

If your a veggie person this could net you like four times more protein for the same price.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sous vide london broil at 135 for 24 hours. It was tasty, but definitely needs either more time or less in order to reach its full potential. Since it is so lean i have been leaning towards less time.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Sous vide london broil at 135 for 24 hours. It was tasty, but definitely needs either more time or less in order to reach its full potential. Since it is so lean i have been leaning towards less time.
Less. The long cook times on beef (up to 72 hours) are intended for cuts with connective tissue that needs to be gelatinized. London broil is lean, but has no connective tissue. I'll recommend the "wet-aging" process I posted earlier for it though, as it can have tough fibers. ~1-2 hours at 103 F, ~1-2 hour at 120 F, then 135 probably for 6-7 hours.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent braiser other then le creuset since I don't want to plunk down too much right now?