Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Not sure if I should reseason or just roll with it.
I would say it probably got too hot but there is no reason to re-season that pan. Just cook something greasy in it for the next few uses. People spend way too much time worrying about cast iron pans, they are really not that delicate at all.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gonna tey to be baller tonite and trying to make pho broth.gonna use the crock pot since its out on the counter, so far a few hours in, it smells nice at least.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Bisi's cast iron cleaning technique:

1. Heat oven to 300 F.
2. Use a plastic scrub brush and warm water to clean out the pan after use. The brush I use is for the cast iron pan only and nothing else. No soap touches it. The pan will still maintain a nice layer of greez after I'm done.
3. Turn the oven off once it's hit 300.
4. Place the "clean" pan face down on one of the oven racks.
5. Let it sit in there for at least 20 minutes, or just forget about it. The oven's off and it's drying out using the remaining heat so it'll be just fine in there.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Seems like a lot of energy to heat up an oven just to clean a single cast iron pan. You don't do this whenever you cook with it, do you?

I just hand wash mine with soap and water, wipe it down with some oil, and then heat it on the stove for a few minutes to dry.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I must maximize my carbon footprint to ensure there is no carbon foodprint on my cast iron pan.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gonna tey to be baller tonite and trying to make pho broth.gonna use the crock pot since its out on the counter, so far a few hours in, it smells nice at least.
Wtf happened with your pho, bruh? Crock pot pho sounds like a pipedream but I'm interested to hear how it turned out.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I just hand wash mine with soap and water
the-office-no-gif.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Honestly, using soapy water doesn't really affect the seasoning, once you have a really good seasoning. I'm not talking about scrubbing it with hot water and dawn, but sometimes I "wash" it and it's fine.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Honestly, using soapy water doesn't really affect the seasoning, once you have a really good seasoning. I'm not talking about scrubbing it with hot water and dawn, but sometimes I "wash" it and it's fine.
Light washing is fine, but I just got the picture in my head of him slathering it with Dawn and soaking it for some reason. I have a friend who does this and then complains his pan sucks and is hard to maintain.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
No, but I have a Lodge 10 inch cast iron that is great. I mean...can you really fuck up cast iron square?

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
It's not just based on your current searches, but past ones as well, you fucking pervert.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
But I haven't bought myself thigh high stockings for years! No way it keeps results THAT long

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wtf happened with your pho, bruh? Crock pot pho sounds like a pipedream but I'm interested to hear how it turned out.
first attempt, it smelled nice, very "pho'y" but flavor, broth was not there or developed, so i got the aromatics right, just need to give the broth some "heft".

i did all the prep stuff too, pre-boiled the bones to get rid of scum, grilled me spices and everything, truly i'd rate what i did as a 3, it was just bland, i even had beef and tripe too. gonna research some other recipes this weekend to try again.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yep, and I fucking hate it. Those grill ridges and grooves are fucking horrible to try and clean, and when searing meat, it sticks to those ridges.
I was going to say that generally I like Lodge stuff and I highly recommend it.BUTthat specific pan, I'm not sure what use it would have. I have a griddle that is flat on one side ridged on the other and I never ever use the ridged side.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Bisi's cast iron cleaning technique:

1. Heat oven to 300 F.
2. Use a plastic scrub brush and warm water to clean out the pan after use. The brush I use is for the cast iron pan only and nothing else. No soap touches it. The pan will still maintain a nice layer of greez after I'm done.
3. Turn the oven off once it's hit 300.
4. Place the "clean" pan face down on one of the oven racks.
5. Let it sit in there for at least 20 minutes, or just forget about it. The oven's off and it's drying out using the remaining heat so it'll be just fine in there.
You can do the same thing on a burner in a lot less time. That's what I do. Turn on the burner under the pan, wait until the grease melts, then put it under running water and give it a few good swipes with a dish rag or a scrub brush, then put it back on the burner and turn the burner off so the residual heat in the pan and burner will dry it. Pretty much the same technique but without the time and energy to heat the whole oven.