Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i haven't sous vide any poultry yet, i doubt i will, i'm reserving my judgement that sous vide shall be for all 4 legged animals!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I do sous vide chicken breasts for work all the time. Doing them in the cast iron skillet is probably easier, but I always forget to thaw them and that's where sous vide wins.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
That's the exact same one I use when I'm cooking more than 1 steak or fish filet at a time.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh and I found this subreddit for all this weekend at work.

sous-vide cooking

I know it wasn't exactly hidden but I have been moving around for the past 8 months and haven't had my Anova with me or the time to really learn it. Time to start getting into it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
WtCneI7.jpg

Tuco vide?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Anyone use Penzey's spices? I normally wouldn't but I heard they had several salt-free blends. And they do.

Free shipping over $20 and free pepper using the code 46154C.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What spices usually have salt in them? Something like a spice blend? Those are pretty easy to assemble yourself.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I've had goat a handful of times, but I've never cooked it at home. The brother-in-law and me have talked about starting a small herd.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Goatober, nice.

I was hesitant to try goat when I was young and travelling with my parents (who also wouldn't try it). Now it's just another menu option... though I think I'll try to eat it more. I think it's really just a vicious circle... it's not widely consumed, so it's not stocked at groceries, so it's not sold as often, so it's not widely consumed...

Maybe my local meat market carries it and I've just never noticed.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
What spices usually have salt in them? Something like a spice blend? Those are pretty easy to assemble yourself.
Well, most of what I bought were Asian or Indian blends, and at the international market I go to, they are in meal packet form (like sloppy joe or meatloaf mix here). Tons of sodium.

And I don't keep much galangal, lemon grass, cardamon, etc on hand normally to make my own blends.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Other use for them, really. Most of the blends have 6-10 ingredients to blend as well and that doesn't fit into my laziness routine very well.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Anyone got a good, spicy red chili paste recipe? Going to be making my own as the pre-packaged shit around here is not nearly spicy enough for my tastes.

I like it hot!

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Get a little bottle of concentrated capsaicin and add a few drops to your normal spicy chili paste? Also garlic, add lots of garlic. You'll never get colon cancer that way.