Gravy's Cooking Thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Whoever the Asian dude in here was who mentioned their Asian way of cooking tofu as opposed to my disgusting white man way.

Thank you very much Sir! Vast improvement to my tofu consumption.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Keep the wok, sprinkle tofu with cornstarch, enjoy delicious crispy tofu.

Bonus round to add salt/other seasoning into corn starch.

Enjoy life.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I feel like the best way to improve tofu would be to slice it very thin, then cover it with a 16 oz ribeye.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I generally put it in Stir Fry with some meat, sometimes not. In this case it is for lazy work lunches of rice/vegetables/tofu/kimchi. Lanx's other Asian Grocery hacks I was well aware of as I go to one regularly.

Asian food in all of its varieties is certainly my favorite though. So I am super biased.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I generally put it in Stir Fry with some meat, sometimes not. In this case it is for lazy work lunches of rice/vegetables/tofu/kimchi. Lanx's other Asian Grocery hacks I was well aware of as I go to one regularly.

Asian food in all of its varieties is certainly my favorite though. So I am super biased.
you bring kimchi to work? *handclap, are others scared of this saucy cabbage? also did you get my rice hax? two/three drops of sesame oil will bring that rice to life.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I had kimchee for the first time about 20 years ago, and I thought it was super spicy, but I loved it.

I have dark (black) sesame oil, will that work for the rice?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
dark sesame oil is made from toasted sesame seeds so it's pretty strong, (as opposed to clear which uses untoasted) i'd use a drop first. when i mean a drop if you squeeze it out onto your rice, a dime sized oil thing is a drop.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
^^ I used a cap full of sesame oil once on my stir fry when i first got it, big mistake. As lanx said, use tiny drops at first.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Always use sesame oil with rice!

Nobody has ever mentioned anything to me about kimchi at work. But I am certain they are completely ignorant as to what it might be anyway. As everyone near me our office is mostly the We Will Never Ever Leave Texas kind of people... or Indians and a few Chinese somewhere in the building. Like most tech offices! Someone did ask what smelled so garlicy once.

Everything Asian in Austin is owned by Vietnamese, so I have tried making Pho. But god that shit is impossible. Since good pho is readily available I lost interest. The idea of crockpot pho is a really interesting idea though. However, I have mastered making tsukemen. Which if anyone here hasn't tried it and has the right kind of noodles available to make it I highly recommend cooking some up. It will amaze you.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I want a Vietnamese grandmother to come to my house and show me how to make pho.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I want a Vietnamese grandmother to come to my house and show me how to make pho.
The Viet friends i talked to have said it's difficult enough to just get pho from restaurants instead.

my quest for crock pot pho will wait a week, going on vacation to the outer banks this week, so i've stopped buying groceries. I am taking my crockpot/coffee maker and 1 knife and board.

actually it's a suitcase i'm loading up, my wife keeps getting annoyed of the stuff i'm bringing!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I was getting disillusioned with my sous vide, mainly because I still haven't found a way to cook chicken for work the next fat that is semi enjoyable. Just cooked some venison steaks that were reduced at the supermarket and they came out perfect