Gravy's Cooking Thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
What exactly are you doing with garlic to help prevent colon cancer? Actually, you know what? Nevermind.

Also, I've got a friend who raises goat to eat. I've had it quite a bit, and like it. When our freezers are not full to bursting with beef and fruit, we're going to buy a whole goat. I want to get the whole thing so I know which cuts cook well and I can actually speak knowledgeably about goat. I will report back when I can.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Get a little bottle of concentrated capsaicin and add a few drops to your normal spicy chili paste? Also garlic, add lots of garlic. You'll never get colon cancer that way.
But I just got a mortar and pestle and want to use it!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
But I just got a mortar and pestle and want to use it!
Mine is sitting in a cabinet in the kitchen, well seasoned with salt (according to some shit I read online), never once been used. God damn CostCo impulse purchases.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is there any reason to use a mortal/pestle over a food processor? I mean, other than looking like a 98 year old Mexican abuela.

Khane

Is there any reason to use a mortal/pestle over a food processor? I mean, other than looking like a 98 year old Mexican abuela.
Because I got a mortar and pestle for free and don't own a food processor. Economics!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Sell it at a garage sale for 10 bucks and you are 1/12th of the way towards a solution that doesn't lick balls.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Khane makes more than enough to get a food processor. He could even keep the mortar and pestle!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Take a day off of work, really devote yourself to this, and have a garage sale. Ensure that the only item at the garage sale is the mortals and pesto.

For challenge mode, sell them separately.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Take a day off of work, really devote yourself to this, and have a garage sale. Ensure that the only item at the garage sale is the mortals and pesto.

For challenge mode, sell them separately.
Good idea. Morties on one table and pixels on the other.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I use my mortar and pestle fairly often when I want to grind spices together. It's also good for some drink recipes where you can grind lime pulp with sugar, for example. Also, any time you're using cardamom pods, shit's handy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, most of what I bought were Asian or Indian blends, and at the international market I go to, they are in meal packet form (like sloppy joe or meatloaf mix here). Tons of sodium.

And I don't keep much galangal, lemon grass, cardamon, etc on hand normally to make my own blends.
AB said most spice rubs have a little spice and tons of salt cuz salt is uber cheap, so make your own when possible.

Khane

I wish you guys would give me a recipe I asked for in the COOKING thread instead of trying to talk me out of making something at all.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I don't have a particular recipe, but I have tons of unsolicited advice.