Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Making dinner for 20 people on Friday and no clue what I want to do. Back in CA the go to would be carne asada but I don't have a backyard with a BBQ right now and here in NC not sure where the best Mexican meat is.

Make a suggestion. I was thinking of souse viding a large tri tip maybe? Never done one that way before.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Making dinner for 20 people on Friday and no clue what I want to do. Back in CA the go to would be carne asada but I don't have a backyard with a BBQ right now and here in NC not sure where the best Mexican meat is.

Make a suggestion. I was thinking of souse viding a large tri tip maybe? Never done one that way before.

I've Sous Vide Tri-Tip a ton. Do yourself a favor and cut it in half so it fits better in the bag and it's also easier to finish if you have limited pan space or no grill. I do mine at 134 for two and a half hours. I usually take the juices from the bag and reduce them and mix them with some chilis and spices to put over tacos instead of a traditional green or red sauce.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I've Sous Vide Tri-Tip a ton. Do yourself a favor and cut it in half so it fits better in the bag and it's also easier to finish if you have limited pan space or no grill. I do mine at 134 for two and a half hours. I usually take the juices from the bag and reduce them and mix them with some chilis and spices to put over tacos instead of a traditional green or red sauce.
I think I am doing 24 hours of tri tip or rib roast, whichever Costco has enough of when I go on Thursday.

Going to do potatoes au gratin, asparagus, sweet potatoes of some sort (only because I have an entire bushel), salad, and some rolls. Home made ice cream, home made brownies, and home made waffle cones.

One of the kids coming only eats nuggets or pizza rolls so I have to make some of those ....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

You could keep it simple and tasty and do Indian food, I did that over this holiday break and it was a winner. Make a good buttered chicken, a chick-pea dish, and have a mountain of rice on hand. Make some Naan (or go and get it at Costco who has good Naan you bake yourself), and do a yogurt salad. Lotsa yum, minimal work, not too expensive.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
You could keep it simple and tasty and do Indian food, I did that over this holiday break and it was a winner. Make a good buttered chicken, a chick-pea dish, and have a mountain of rice on hand. Make some Naan (or go and get it at Costco who has good Naan you bake yourself), and do a yogurt salad. Lotsa yum, minimal work, not too expensive.
None of my people are ready for Indian food.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
One of the kids coming only eats nuggets or pizza rolls so I have to make some of those ....

The worst thing you can do for a little shit like that is to cave in to the stupidity.

When I was in grade school, the folks took a 3 week trip from WY to San Diego during school break. One of their friends had a spawn they needed to offload for their own sanity, so she came along. Wouldn't eat anything but hamburgers and chickenstrips.

After the drive to CA and 3-4 nights of trying to go out to nice seafood places and putting up with that nonsense, the folks quit caring. Oddly enough, she started trying (and I assume liking at least some of) the seafood.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The worst thing you can do for a little shit like that is to cave in to the stupidity.

When I was in grade school, the folks took a 3 week trip from WY to San Diego during school break. One of their friends had a spawn they needed to offload for their own sanity, so she came along. Wouldn't eat anything but hamburgers and chickenstrips.

After the drive to CA and 3-4 nights of trying to go out to nice seafood places and putting up with that nonsense, the folks quit caring. Oddly enough, she started trying (and I assume liking at least some of) the seafood.
If I had the kid alone sure but it was pulling teeth to get them to even show up.

Who knows, maybe he is special needs.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think I am doing 24 hours of tri tip or rib roast, whichever Costco has enough of when I go on Thursday.

Going to do potatoes au gratin, asparagus, sweet potatoes of some sort (only because I have an entire bushel), salad, and some rolls. Home made ice cream, home made brownies, and home made waffle cones.

Can I come over also?!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
What do you do to them after you pull them out of the bath?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Getting settled into the new rental house, and while I may only be here a year, it's so nice to be back into a house with a bigger kitchen. It's not huge, and honestly, it may not even be bigger than the apartment I just moved out of it, but it just feels better. Because of that, I feel better about cooking again, which I had really disliked in the smaller apartment kitchen. So here I am back into this thread after a year or more ignoring it! Hey guys!

First time getting excited was making a big pot of chicken panang curry. In the process of doing that right now, and also first time using a wok to do it. Should be lunches for a week!
20170105_124543.jpg
20170105_124551.jpg
@TJT I'm going to pick up the purple shrimp paste the next time I'm near the store, so I can make it better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Getting settled into the new rental house, and while I may only be here a year, it's so nice to be back into a house with a bigger kitchen. It's not huge, and honestly, it may not even be bigger than the apartment I just moved out of it, but it just feels better. Because of that, I feel better about cooking again, which I had really disliked in the smaller apartment kitchen. So here I am back into this thread after a year or more ignoring it! Hey guys!

First time getting excited was making a big pot of chicken panang curry. In the process of doing that right now, and also first time using a wok to do it. Should be lunches for a week!
@TJT I'm going to pick up the purple shrimp paste the next time I'm near the store, so I can make it better.
You talking about bagoong? How Filipino are you?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
It's shrimp(krill, really) paste. My girlfriend(who is a Flip), loves that shit. Makes me gag.