Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I've always thought about trying that and even bought the air filters once but never actually did it.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I actually bought a box fan but never went through with it. No place in the house anymore to just leave a box fan running for days on end.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
What about the Alton Brown method?

Wow I had never seen this episode. Just googled and watched it. I am going to have to try this.

I also have been wanting to try home made ramen. Using the home made jerky in it would be amazing. (if you have never put jerky in your noodles you are missing out)

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I don't know where Alton was getting furnace filters for $1.00 each, after searching online in my area they are about $5.00 each, but i'm still going to try it. Box fan is $30, not to shabby.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm in the market for a food dehydrator, tired of not being able to find jerky that isn't 40% sugar. Any recommendations?
Just made 4lbs with a 10yr old version of this
Nesco FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator

5 trays is enough for 4lbs thinly sliced (use freezer method)

Of course you can add more trays and make a big tower.

The Nesco is good, b/c the fan, and basically electronics are all up top, so you don't clean that, just clean the trays, i put it on the lowest setting for 24hrs, set and forget.

usually i use soy/lee perins/vinegar/Gochujang(korean pepper paste)

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Don't most dehydrators just cook the meat at low low temperature?

My stove has a dehydrate setting

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yea but I can't monopolize my stove 24/7 making swank ass jerky. I saw a salmon jerky recipe today. Do want.

Thanks Lanx, that looks like a winner.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I saw a salmon jerky recipe today. Do want.

If you get a chance to make this, do it. My dad used to make salmon jerky when I was a kid and he had to hide it because me and my siblings would make ourselves sick eating mounds of it. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I actually bought a box fan but never went through with it. No place in the house anymore to just leave a box fan running for days on end.

I've only used the A.Brown method for drying cherry and roma tomatoes. Worked well, nice bright color, but nice and dry. only 1-2 % loss from fuzz where slices were too thick and/or too clustered.

In the end, I decided the caramelization you get by doing it in a min-temp oven, turning them into tiny little raisin/cranberry sweet flavor bombs better suited what I wanted out of dried tomatoes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The alton Brown dehydrator box is just silly, a box fan is already going to be 1/3 or 1/2 the price of the basic food dehydrator i linked, and it's only going to be room temp air, which is fine, but it's not even remotely feasable, afterwards.

what are you going to do? throw away those 5$ filters? and store the fan back in your dank garage?

At least with the nesco tower, it's all compact and the size of a regular crockpot, not difficult to find basic kitchen storage.

Ninen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The alton Brown dehydrator box is just silly, a box fan is already going to be 1/3 or 1/2 the price of the basic food dehydrator i linked, and it's only going to be room temp air, which is fine, but it's not even remotely feasable, afterwards.

what are you going to do? throw away those 5$ filters? and store the fan back in your dank garage?

At least with the nesco tower, it's all compact and the size of a regular crockpot, not difficult to find basic kitchen storage.

You are absolutely correct in nearly all of that. However you say "only going to be room temp air" like that's a bad thing.

It's not.

True, real, historic jerky (and most of the other dried items was wind cured, aka, air dehydrated). You need salt or other surface modifiers (salinity, PH, UV, low temp, etc) to keep the surface unappealing to dangerous bacteria for just long enough for the moisture to leave; which then inhibits bacterial growth THAT way.

Heat dehydrators partially cook the jerky (or whatever) along with keeping things above the danger zone of growth; and that's fine. However, the output of the process, in a very real sense, is a very different product. Both are usually delish in their own ways.

Air Dried Meats and Sausages

Make Jerky with COLD air? What kinda crazy voodoo is this!! - Survivalist Forum

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You are absolutely correct in nearly all of that. However you say "only going to be room temp air" like that's a bad thing.

It's not.

True, real, historic jerky (and most of the other dried items was wind cured, aka, air dehydrated). You need salt or other surface modifiers (salinity, PH, UV, low temp, etc) to keep the surface unappealing to dangerous bacteria for just long enough for the moisture to leave; which then inhibits bacterial growth THAT way.

Heat dehydrators partially cook the jerky (or whatever) along with keeping things above the danger zone of growth; and that's fine. However, the output of the process, in a very real sense, is a very different product. Both are usually delish in their own ways.

Air Dried Meats and Sausages

Make Jerky with COLD air? What kinda crazy voodoo is this!! - Survivalist Forum
you want to variable control the temp at least, i know it's a lot easier for me to do fruits with higher temp.

With Jerky i use the lowest setting anyway, it tastes better.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I imagine that you could strap the plates from a dehydrator on the box fan instead of air filters if you don't want the heat but also don't want to spend $20 on single use air filters.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Went to a little hole in the wall el salvadorian restaurant for lunch and filled up on pupusas.

Now I want pupusas forever

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I imagine that you could strap the plates from a dehydrator on the box fan instead of air filters if you don't want the heat but also don't want to spend $20 on single use air filters.

I decided to do this instead. My folks have a old dehydrator they never use. Its in storage so they will have to find it for me first.

But I intend on buying a box fan and giving this a go. I will post results if it comes to pass.