Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Still getting practice with breading. Breaded some tendies with a combo of panko and these ramen flavored funyions; sauteeds green beans; homemade garlic taters.
View attachment 539341View attachment 539342
That's a pretty cool idea. Did you brine the chicken tenders in anything? I don't ever make them because they're just so bland, but that's nice idea to get the flavorful batter.

Kind of reminds me of frying whole bluegill with instant mashed potatoe flakes for the batter. Looks like you got a great crust. Did you season your batter with anything else or just left it up to the funions?

Nice though....

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
That's a pretty cool idea. Did you brine the chicken tenders in anything? I don't ever make them because they're just so bland, but that's nice idea to get the flavorful batter.

Kind of reminds me of frying whole bluegill with instant mashed potatoe flakes for the batter. Looks like you got a great crust. Did you season your batter with anything else or just left it up to the funions?

Nice though....
No, I’m too basic for brining; just popped them out of the package, quick rinse and patted them dry. Dredging was just plain flour (I should have put some salt/pepper in there) to eggs, and then to the panko mixed with the crushed funyuns with some garlic powder, Old Bay, Kinder’s caramelized onion butter powder, small bit of bourbon smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
No, I’m too basic for brining; just popped them out of the package, quick rinse and patted them dry. Dredging was just plain flour (I should have put some salt/pepper in there) to eggs, and then to the panko mixed with the crushed funyuns with some garlic powder, Old Bay, Kinder’s caramelized onion butter powder, small bit of bourbon smoked paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper etc.
Sounds tasty.

Brining isn't complicated though. Just some water salt sugar, maybe some garlic, but you can just keep it salt and sugar and just let it sit for an hour. I find that with skinless white meat chicken, really makes a difference. Better if you let it sit for longer. If you're using old bay, you can always use that as your salt component what it tastes like. I'll typically do whatever rub or seasoning in with the water, maybe a little bit of soy sauce or Worcestershire. That other stuff really does make a difference and it takes nothing effort wise.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Brine in pickle juice
Yeah, that's a great option, just don't always have it around unless you're the type of person buying one of the huge jars of Moby Dills or something.

I know the restaurants do it, but that's because they're burning through pickles all the time.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Brussel sprouts.
Too bitter?

For some reason I've always loved them since I was a kid, but I like broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Spicy pickled brussel sprouts are perfect with summer sausage, cheese curds or cave cure cheese, crackers and cold beer. At least that's what my grandpa taught me.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Too bitter?

For some reason I've always loved them since I was a kid, but I like broccoli, cabbage, etc.

Spicy pickled brussel sprouts are perfect with summer sausage, cheese curds or cave cure cheese, crackers and cold beer. At least that's what my grandpa taught me.

I'm not sure. I like cabbage, and when I (or my wife) cook them, I can tolerate them. You know how some people have alcohol memory (can't drink that any more because they got so sick on it)? I have food memory, and my mother didn't make food, she made fuel, she did it on a budget, and she would cook brussel sprouts until they had the texture of snot. No salt. When I cook them they are still quite crispy, and usually contain some bacon (I know that's cheating, but it is what it is).

I do grow quite a lot of sprouts. They're a hardy veg that gets a little sweeter when the frost hits it (much like cabbage and kale), and they store well, and they're good for you. I suck it up. Everyone else here likes them, so I get out voted.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I'm not sure. I like cabbage, and when I (or my wife) cook them, I can tolerate them. You know how some people have alcohol memory (can't drink that any more because they got so sick on it)? I have food memory, and my mother didn't make food, she made fuel, she did it on a budget, and she would cook brussel sprouts until they had the texture of snot. No salt. When I cook them they are still quite crispy, and usually contain some bacon (I know that's cheating, but it is what it is).

I do grow quite a lot of sprouts. They're a hardy veg that gets a little sweeter when the frost hits it (much like cabbage and kale), and they store well, and they're good for you. I suck it up. Everyone else here likes them, so I get out voted.
Are they tough to grow, or do you need a cooler climate? Doubt I could grow some in Texas. During the holidays HEB or even trader Joe's will sell the big stalk with tons of sprouts, and I'll typically pick one up. Between the wife and myself it'll last a while, and like cabbage they stay good for a long time in the vegetable drawer. I'll roast them with like you said bacon, but I also just like them steamed with butter salt and pepper.

Haven't pickled ones in a long time, probably the last time I was visiting family in Wisconsin, and I haven't seen them in a store, but I always look for them. I need to go ahead and do that though, just pick up a couple of bags and jar up some. The ones off of the stalk though are infinitely better.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I love brussels sprouts when done properly. My parents would prepare them when I was a kid, but they would usually get included in stews IIRC. So on the soft/bitter side, but with enough moisture/salt/flavor that they weren't so bad. And probably prepped me for them as an adult. Roast in the oven or stove top with olive oil, salt, pepper. Or like you said add bacon - parmesan and/or a decent balsamic is great too.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Are they tough to grow, or do you need a cooler climate? Doubt I could grow some in Texas. During the holidays HEB or even trader Joe's will sell the big stalk with tons of sprouts, and I'll typically pick one up. Between the wife and myself it'll last a while, and like cabbage they stay good for a long time in the vegetable drawer. I'll roast them with like you said bacon, but I also just like them steamed with butter salt and pepper.

Haven't pickled ones in a long time, probably the last time I was visiting family in Wisconsin, and I haven't seen them in a store, but I always look for them. I need to go ahead and do that though, just pick up a couple of bags and jar up some. The ones off of the stalk though are infinitely better.

Super easy to grow where I'm at. In Texas they would likely need a lot of water. We typically plant about 50 stocks of it. In the cold cellar they keep for months and months, and they're a late harvest vegetable. Means we still have plenty in spring when the other vegetables start coming in.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Super easy to grow where I'm at. In Texas they would likely need a lot of water. We typically plant about 50 stocks of it. In the cold cellar they keep for months and months, and they're a late harvest vegetable. Means we still have plenty in spring when the other vegetables start coming in.
How much sun do they need? I think that's part of our difficulties with the garden just due to canopy coverage. Only get so much direct sunlight on the garden during the day.

That's pretty awesome though. Pickle some and I'll pay for shipping...😉

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
How much sun do they need? I think that's part of our difficulties with the garden just due to canopy coverage. Only get so much direct sunlight on the garden during the day.

That's pretty awesome though. Pickle some and I'll pay for shipping...😉

They need a lot of sun. When developing my garden I cleared out a substantial portion beyond what was needed so the gardens have sun all day long. It was a fun process. After clearing trees and stumps I let them sit for two years, then had the most epic bonfire ever. It burned/smoldered for almost 2 weeks. Once it was out and cool I spread the ashes over the whole garden area (2 acres), excellent for the soil. Developing an ecosystem has been really cool.

Sounds like sprouts might not be for you. The number in my head is at least six hours a day. They do grow in pots, though, so you can put them on your property where you have the sun.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
They need a lot of sun. When developing my garden I cleared out a substantial portion beyond what was needed so the gardens have sun all day long. It was a fun process. After clearing trees and stumps I let them sit for two years, then had the most epic bonfire ever. It burned/smoldered for almost 2 weeks. Once it was out and cool I spread the ashes over the whole garden area (2 acres), excellent for the soil. Developing an ecosystem has been really cool.

Sounds like sprouts might not be for you. The number in my head is at least six hours a day. They do grow in pots, though, so you can put them on your property where you have the sun.
I thought I was wrapping in some big plastic pots, and toss those bastards out next to the driveway. I got to strip a yard that doesn't grow grass because of the stupid sand, and I threaten my wife with just us setting a whole bunch of giant pots with vegetables and what have you next to my truck. I know sometimes the neighbors look at us like we're weird, but I don't care. It's if I don't make gumbo or pulled pork and bring them over dinner.

Do you have to get a pre-established stock or are you planting it from seeds or something? You just take old brussel sprouts and drop them into the ground and magically you get new ones! That would be pretty awesome...👍🏻

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A solid answer to most vegetables is steamer basket + instant pot + 0-3 minute pressure cook (depending on the vegetable and where on the soft/crunchy spectrum you're aiming for) followed by a quick steam release. A bit on the plain side compared to other ways of cooking but it's really quick and simple. I think I normally do 2 minutes for brussels sprouts and they come out great. Roasting them with olive oil and seasoning/toppings is tastier but a fair bit more work.

• 2Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
A solid answer to most vegetables is steamer basket + instant pot + 0-3 minute pressure cook (depending on the vegetable and where on the soft/crunchy spectrum you're aiming for) followed by a quick steam release. A bit on the plain side compared to other ways of cooking but it's really quick and simple. I think I normally do 2 minutes for brussels sprouts and they come out great. Roasting them with olive oil and seasoning/toppings is tastier but a fair bit more work.
I don't do Instacooker/pressure cooker, but you can chop up vegetables, put a couple of inches of water in a big bowl and toss them in the microwave with a plate or something on top, cooking em for 5 minutes, and get a nice easy steam, and they still have texture.

Since we got our little Cuisinart convection oven, I'll just throw veggies on foil in there, don't run it too high 250 maybe 300, and I honestly get better results roasting, and I would imagine it's because it's such a small space versus having to deal with all the stuff with a full size oven.

That little bastard has been so convenient, especially just cooking for the two of us. Not something I would rely upon if I had guests over, but for easy weekly meals, I keep finding the new things or reasons to appreciate it.

• 2Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't do Instacooker/pressure cooker, but you can chop up vegetables, put a couple of inches of water in a big bowl and toss them in the microwave with a plate or something on top, cooking em for 5 minutes, and get a nice easy steam, and they still have texture.

Since we got our little Cuisinart convection oven, I'll just throw veggies on foil in there, don't run it too high 250 maybe 300, and I honestly get better results roasting, and I would imagine it's because it's such a small space versus having to deal with all the stuff with a full size oven.

That little bastard has been so convenient, especially just cooking for the two of us. Not something I would rely upon if I had guests over, but for easy weekly meals, I keep finding the new things or reasons to appreciate it.
I like ours quite a bit, it's super handy. If I'm in a hurry, I'll do a quick steam/cook in the microwave and then finish in the convection oven.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I thought I was wrapping in some big plastic pots, and toss those bastards out next to the driveway. I got to strip a yard that doesn't grow grass because of the stupid sand, and I threaten my wife with just us setting a whole bunch of giant pots with vegetables and what have you next to my truck. I know sometimes the neighbors look at us like we're weird, but I don't care. It's if I don't make gumbo or pulled pork and bring them over dinner.

Do you have to get a pre-established stock or are you planting it from seeds or something? You just take old brussel sprouts and drop them into the ground and magically you get new ones! That would be pretty awesome...👍🏻

I keep all my old stalks and cut the bottom off and put it in water over the winter starting in February. They develop roots and in the spring I plant them. The old stalk turns into compost and a new one grows in its place.

I have a half of one of my outbuildings for rooting various things, it's great to have the space. I have a lot of things I plant from seeds or whatever from the previous harvest. I'm particularly proud of one: I had a very tasty apple one day, kept the seeds, now I have two trees grown from that seed. Took about 6 yeas of growing before they produced any significant amount of fruit, and the apples are just as delicious as the first one.

I always smash a couple of pumpkins (fun band) in the fall to restart my pumpkin patch. There are lots of things you can do like this. It's rather fun to create a self-sustaining garden. And you get such amazing ingredients with which to cook.

• 1Solidarity