Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
i mean, when i fried turkey i also fried chicken and a big batch of fries

but i wouldn't do it w/o having to fry the turkey
Careful one of them aluminum fish basket fryers that you just throw onto a propane burner? I've got one of those and we've always had them when I was growing up. I guess that's typically but turkey fryers that we always used because you would just have the bigger pot with the little deal that you would stick up the turkey and then just raise it down into the oil.

Problem with those things is you end up burning through a ton of oil.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
GFS sells spicy chicken patties. Its the only ones I found thats actually a piece of chicken, not some ground up shit. So II do those all the time. One bag of like 20 or 5lbs or so is like $35. I mean you could do those in the oven as well but when they are fried its like 100% better. Takes like 6 min for like 5 of them at a time in the basket. Its the wifes favorite. really good chicken sammies that rival pretty much all fast food. Bacon, lettuce, onion, mayo and a tomato....For a fraction of the cost of fast food.
1724036033474.png

They also sell nugs that are really fucking close to McDs nugs. I would not even be shocked if they are made by the same company as the McDs ones. So we do those for the kids. But its mostly fries. There is nothing like taking some fresh russets, running them through my fry cutter and frying those.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Careful one of them aluminum fish basket fryers that you just throw onto a propane burner? I've got one of those and we've always had them when I was growing up. I guess that's typically but turkey fryers that we always used because you would just have the bigger pot with the little deal that you would stick up the turkey and then just raise it down into the oil.

Problem with those things is you end up burning through a ton of oil.
I could use my wok burner

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
GFS sells spicy chicken patties. Its the only ones I found thats actually a piece of chicken, not some ground up shit. So II do those all the time. One bag of like 20 or 5lbs or so is like $35. I mean you could do those in the oven as well but when they are fried its like 100% better. Takes like 6 min for like 5 of them at a time in the basket. Its the wifes favorite. really good chicken sammies that rival pretty much all fast food. Bacon, lettuce, onion, mayo and a tomato....For a fraction of the cost of fast food.
View attachment 542294

They also sell nugs that are really fucking close to McDs nugs. I would not even be shocked if they are made by the same company as the McDs ones. So we do those for the kids. But its mostly fries. There is nothing like taking some fresh russets, running them through my fry cutter and frying those.
I will remember this the next time I'm at Costco (gfs is a block away)

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i've always gone by smell and "dear lord this oil looks like tar" is there any other way better way to tell rancid?

like flow rate?

or just if it stank, it dank

Smell/Taste is going to be the first indicator obviously. When we need to make the call on large quantities in storage there's also FFA strips, but one of our fryers alone holds 500+ gallons

Europe requires these meters I believe, but I've never found them reliable, can never get consistent readings

If I'm ever in that neck of the woods, can I get the nickel tour? To me that type of stuff is just fascinating. I don't think I've ever got to see a modern process production plant before, I've seen a lot of different types of manufacturing facilities, but I don't believe that one has been checked off the list.

I just enjoy seeing how all of that stuff operates. Like going to a brewery as a kid, and getting The Grand tour.

Sure thing, we're family owned so no corporate policies against visitors or anything that.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Got the jerky in the smoker. Set it to 190° for about 4 hours. I'll check on the meat about 2 hours.
1000005814.jpg

• 1Like

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
What do you think the final weight will be? Maybe a pound?

1 London Broil will make about a pound.

Top round will make a pound and half to 2 lbs depending on the size of the cut. I use London Broil because it has the perfect amount marbling through out the meat with little to no trimming.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Holy fuck, I had a goddamn video show up on my feed, and it's Chef JP. It's old but awesome and hilarious. I've never seen it before but I figured I would share it because I know a bunch of you guys enjoy his culinary skills, as do I.

That's awesome love he literally is the same as he is today with all of his new stuff. I guess that's why I enjoy his channel so much because he just is very authentic, and he never changes then he just cooks, shares wonderful recipes.

Last edited:

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've got two of those guys cookbooks, and he's a ultimate badass when I come stay grilling and cooking.

Probably the most badass chef out there other than Paul Prudhomme.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've got two of those guys cookbooks, and he's a ultimate badass when I come stay grilling and cooking.

Probably the most badass chef out there other than Paul Prudhomme.

Thought he seemed familiar. Can't really imagine being more dedicated to the craft than how he comes across.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Thought he seemed familiar. Can't really imagine being more dedicated to the craft than how he comes across.

That's easily my favorite episode of that entire show. The later seasons really went down hill, but I am not ever known of him before seeing the original first season of the series, let's probably my favorite episode.

Biggest thing is he a chef and an artist. The two books I have of his are great. Think he lives down in Patagonia now, just fly fishes and grills wonderful food.

Pretty much what I want to be able to do when I'm old man

That's funny because you can just easily call him I'm an avant-guard style Chef or person or whatever, I think it's a pretty accurate description. The guys perspective on life fits the bill. I don't really care about celebrities and stuff, but I can really like a chance to sit down and watch him cook, and just grilling some stuff over in the evening with him. The man is a master.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Got a soup club going at work, 4 of us fellas get on good and have a rotation going every Friday for the tail end of winter. Cook the night before, bring it in an Insta pot with some bread and everyone’s happy

So far we have had a roast pumpkin, a tuscan soup which I made, a chicken and mushroom, and a roast tomato soup.

I grabbed the recipe for Zuppa Toscana from here. Never had it before but it won me over. It went down a treat since I was able to source meat from a friend’s family sausage making day too.

Since the search function is broken I’m appealing to the forum for more soup recipes you’ve made and enjoyed. Sure I could Google something, but I’d rather go with recommendations from real people here, doesn’t have to be fancy.

• 1Like