Gravy's Cooking Thread

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Mother-in-law recently surprise gifted us a bajillion Omaha Steaks burgers, so I’ve been making a whole lot of burger and fries dinners. I usually just end up putting the fries in the oven, but I’ve always hated the way they turn out. I don’t have an air fryer, so I decided to just give actual frying a try using a shallow pot and some canola oil. They taste so much better and are actually nice and crispy for once. But I don’t really know what to do with the oil. Initially I wanted to try strain and reuse it, but seeing how discolored it was put me off it and I’ve just been using new oil every time which feels like a massive waste. Can I reuse oil for some amount of time? Any particular way to store it if so?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Mother-in-law recently surprise gifted us a bajillion Omaha Steaks burgers, so I’ve been making a whole lot of burger and fries dinners. I usually just end up putting the fries in the oven, but I’ve always hated the way they turn out. I don’t have an air fryer, so I decided to just give actual frying a try using a shallow pot and some canola oil. They taste so much better and are actually nice and crispy for once. But I don’t really know what to do with the oil. Initially I wanted to try strain and reuse it, but seeing how discolored it was put me off it and I’ve just been using new oil every time which feels like a massive waste. Can I reuse oil for some amount of time? Any particular way to store it if so?
if you want to reuse oil, do not pre salt, it breaksdown the oil faster

theres no "set" reuse time, it's just determined by what you fried and the ingredients and how well you strain it.

get a spyder or even better a fat skimmer and pick out all the crumbs b4 you strain
dcec5ea8d462e8f4d3db4702f43e6619.png

then strain the oil, lots of recommendations of paper towel or even cheesecloth, thats too messy i find the gold coffee baskets better
67fd5b371149f68672ad7aa9429aaa8e.png
just prop it up over a bowl with chopsticks or a ladel or use the handle
GOLDTONE Reusable 8-12 Cup Basket Coffee Filter fits Mr. Coffee Makers and Brewers, Replaces your Paper Coffee Filters, BPA Free[/ur]
if you feel your oil is extra dirty, then just do a final strain w/ a coffee filter too, it costs like 4bucks for 100
if you notice your oil smells or smells like what youre cooking, then its good to chuck
also if youre frying fries, i really recommend trying tallow

beef tallow

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My dad and another close friend who's much older send my wife and I stupid boxes of Omaha steak stuff for Christmas. I tried to make their burgers but they're disgusting. Normally just give them to the dogs. Don't even try one of their hot dogs, that's reserved for catfish bait.

None of their steaks are good.

They used to be okay back in the late 90s early 2000s. I had one of my best friends whose mom was a manager for maybe distribution center or big store in Houston. And when he and I were roommates, she would come up and visit and bring us a whole ton of stuff to throw in the freezer knowing that I like to cook, and I always cook for my friends and roommates and stuff. Out of all the stuff that she ever brought the only thing that was bad was some swordfish. It was utterly disgusting, but the fillets and little ribeyes and shit cooked up well, but compared to those days all of their current stuff is just abysmal.

Least follow Lanx Lanx advice I'm making those french fries, enjoy those, and if you can enjoy those horrible burger patties, well godspeed little Doodle.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
My dad and another close friend who's much older send my wife and I stupid boxes of Omaha steak stuff for Christmas. I tried to make their burgers but they're disgusting. Normally just give them to the dogs. Don't even try one of their hot dogs, that's reserved for catfish bait.

None of their steaks are good.

They used to be okay back in the late 90s early 2000s. I had one of my best friends whose mom was a manager for maybe distribution center or big store in Houston. And when he and I were roommates, she would come up and visit and bring us a whole ton of stuff to throw in the freezer knowing that I like to cook, and I always cook for my friends and roommates and stuff. Out of all the stuff that she ever brought the only thing that was bad was some swordfish. It was utterly disgusting, but the fillets and little ribeyes and shit cooked up well, but compared to those days all of their current stuff is just abysmal.

Least follow Lanx Lanx advice I'm making those french fries, enjoy those, and if you can enjoy those horrible burger patties, well godspeed little Doodle.

Yeah, my dad used to get them a bunch back when I was a kid. It's definitely not as good as before, but it's fine, IMO. And I'm definitely not going to turn down free food in this economy...

• 2Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, my dad used to get them a bunch back when I was a kid. It's definitely not as good as before, but it's fine, IMO. And I'm definitely not going to turn down free food in this economy...
I hear you. I mean if it makes a turd, then so be it, but I've also told those family members don't bother getting me Christmas presents, that way I don't have to figure out what the hell to get them. They both know how much I cook and my positions on getting good ingredients, and Omaha steaks no longer fits that bill. Even their chicken breasts are like maybe half of a chicken breast and doesn't even have part of the tenderloin. Everything is way small, I'm a burger patties are probably made from lips and assholes.

You could probably chop them up though and make some sort of burger macaroni casserole, or potato casserole type dish, and that would be serviceable.

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
1000005810.jpg

1000005806.jpg

London Broil is great for smoking jerky. I have a new carving knife from Dalstrong so I tested it against my Slicer. As you can see the blade cuts much better than the meat slicer.
1000005791.jpg

Made some beer roasted garlic rub so we'll see how it turns out. Letting it marinate over night and on the smoker tomorrow morning for about 4 hours.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 542232
View attachment 542233

London Broil is great for smoking jerky. I have a new carving knife from Dalstrong so I tested it against my Slicer. As you can see the blade cuts much better than the meat slicer.
View attachment 542234

Made some beer roasted garlic rub so we'll see how it turns out. Letting it marinate over night and on the smoker tomorrow morning for about 4 hours.
oh i guess the valhala series gives you a nice leather sheath, the other slicers from dalstrong just give you the plastic one

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
oh i guess the valhala series gives you a nice leather sheath, the other slicers from dalstrong just give you the plastic one
The sheath is really nice. I mentioned it in the knife thread but I used a Dalstrong last week and immediately fell in love with it. So, I checked them out and I researched their blades and found out that the Valhalla blades are all unique. I ordered a couple of them. The other blade and whetstone should be here Tuesday.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The sheath is really nice. I mentioned it in the knife thread but I used a Dalstrong last week and immediately fell in love with it. So, I checked them out and I researched their blades and found out that the Valhalla blades are all unique. I ordered a couple of them. The other blade and whetstone should be here Tuesday.
i've been using my chef knife daily for years

edge retention is strong (at least my au10)
2cff4b53d2e609a1a08106d55a7618c6.png

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
To each their own, But unless a pro using these things 8-10 hrs a day, I dont see any reason whatsoever to spend that much cash on a kitchen knife.

• 1Cringe

Khane

Got something right about marriage
To each their own, But unless a pro using these things 8-10 hrs a day, I dont see any reason whatsoever to spend that much cash on a kitchen knife.

Pros dont spend on flashy looking knives, they buy good steel they can kick the shit out of.

Those handles look slippery as fuck. Best of luck with that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pros dont spend on flashy looking knives, they buy good steel they can kick the shit out of.

Those handles look slippery as fuck. Best of luck with that.
it's actually the most comfortable i've used, traditionally chinese chef knives use this barrel looking handle
a046e72b855debfa74261458756fe547.png

or
straight
5a2feca2aa340192176fab864d899563.png

there are japanese ver that use traditonal pakka wood in the hexigonal shape

but the way i hold my knife i like the way it bevels out to the handle

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Air tight container and keep it out of the sun. Oil oxidizes when exposed to air and breaks down from sun light so don't let it sit in the fryer to long before filter/storing it. As Lanx said you can reuse it but the amount will depend on what you cook. Fries don't have much oil absorption so you will end up throwing a good amount out sooner or later. Another method is to use half new oil and half used oil once it degrades to a certain point. In the end, you can figure it out based on taste so just use it till you get a bad batch and then you'll know how many batches you can make. Paper filtration with a strainer will be your best bet.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I fry a lot of shit, maybe 1-2 times a week? And never filter it or even clean it. From nugs, fries, chicken 65, down to breaded chicken patties I fry it all and the oil goes well for months. I keep it in a cheap $40 wallmart fryer covered up in my pantry. In fact the food just gets better as the oil ages up to a certain point when it gets too dark and too much of an off flavor and needs to be replaced and disposed. We use the old shit to start bon fires at our cabin when the wood is kinda damp.

Back when I worked at fast food places they would replace the oil maybe once every other week, maybe got filtered once a week, if they kept up on that shit to begin with? And that was a LOT of frying those things would go through. I mean think about the average fries, nuggets, chicken sammies and fish an average mall restaurant went through in a day, lol back when malls were still a thing. The oil stood there in exposed fryer vats until it was replaced.

You guys are over thinking this shit, lol.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

I fry a lot of shit, maybe 1-2 times a week? And never filter it or even clean it. From nugs, fries, chicken 65, down to breaded chicken patties I fry it all and the oil goes well for months. I keep it in a cheap $40 wallmart fryer covered up in my pantry. In fact the food just gets better as the oil ages up to a certain point when it gets too dark and too much of an off flavor and needs to be replaced and disposed. We use the old shit to start bon fires at our cabin when the wood is kinda damp.

Back when I worked at fast food places they would replace the oil maybe once every other week, maybe got filtered once a week, if they kept up on that shit to begin with? And that was a LOT of frying those things would go through. I mean think about the average fries, nuggets, chicken sammies and fish an average mall restaurant went through in a day, lol back when malls were still a thing. The oil stood there in exposed fryer vats until it was replaced.

You guys are over thinking this shit, lol.

You should know that this is fucking disgusting. Just FYI. "Overthinking"

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it is overthinking. If it starts to taste bad, reeplace it. Oil is cheap. Even the good shit like peanut oil is like $50 for 5 gallons and thats like 5.5 replacements in my fryer.

• 1Like

Khane

Yeah it is overthinking. If it starts to taste bad, reeplace it. Oil is cheap. Even the good shit like peanut oil is like $50 for 5 gallons and thats like 5.5 replacements in my fryer.

I remember when I got a deep fryer with credit card points. I was so excited as a 24 year old. I fried two batches of food and the oil was swimming in food particulate and dark and dirty as hell.

You are out of your mind. Months? Really?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well youre doing something wrong then, lol. Like I said I worked in a lot of fast food when I was a kid and that shit got used until it looked like light motor oil sometimes, lol. I get like 4 fry out of fresh oil before it even turns any shade of darker. Thats 3-4 weeks right there. Never EVER had oil turn rancid on me and ive had this fryer for like 12 yrs now?

One key point is to pour the food into the fryer basket and shake it vigorously over your sink to dislodge the ice and particulates that usually fall off in the fryer if its frozen, which most of what I fry is.

• 1Like

Khane

No... just no. Literally none of what you're saying is true, observable, happens even at fast food restaurants or anything of the sort.

Like what the fuck? You shake all the breading off frozen chicken nuggets before putting them in your fryer? Okie dokie

Fast food restaurants change their oil every single day.