Gravy's Cooking Thread

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Frying with oil creates free radicals. These are what make help oil go rancid, the exact term for oil that is bad. Without consuming a lot of antioxidants, free radicals over term will lead to all types of inflammatory chronic conditions in the body. That and if you can't taste the difference then your pallet is just off. Combined with the issues being linked to seed oils and you're just doubling down at this point.

We fry about 4 to 8 thousands pounds an hour of appetizers in my facility, and we do plenty of testing both sensory and chemically and there is certainly a threshold for when rancid flavor will show, though some items are more sensitive than others. You'll notice rancid flavor in tempura fish faster than battered chicken for example.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Those handles look slippery as fuck. Best of luck with that.
The steel is exceptional and the handle isn't slippery at all. It feels really damn good in the hand and perfectly balanced. It was pricey, yes, and from I've seen... pros will spend a stupid ass amount for one knife. Significantly more than what I paid.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

This roast was much better. Over done prime rib is no good… this hit the spot.

Got a new oven safe temp probe, took it off at 122. Wrapped and rested, only did a quick reverse sear at the end. Was good.

Also was from frozen, as i bought it a few weeks ago on sale for 10$ per lb IMG_1654.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Frying with oil creates free radicals. These are what make help oil go rancid, the exact term for oil that is bad. Without consuming a lot of antioxidants, free radicals over term will lead to all types of inflammatory chronic conditions in the body. That and if you can't taste the difference then your pallet is just off. Combined with the issues being linked to seed oils and you're just doubling down at this point.

We fry about 4 to 8 thousands pounds an hour of appetizers in my facility, and we do plenty of testing both sensory and chemically and there is certainly a threshold for when rancid flavor will show, though some items are more sensitive than others. You'll notice rancid flavor in tempura fish faster than battered chicken for example.
i've always gone by smell and "dear lord this oil looks like tar" is there any other way better way to tell rancid?

like flow rate?

or just if it stank, it dank

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fast food restaurants change their oil every single day.
Yeah ok bro. loool

Worked at Mcdonalds, worked at 2 different A&W, one family run drive in and a corporate franchise in the mall. NONE of these changed their oil every day. Thats just wishful thinking. Oil lasted at least a week if not two. I know because I was the one usually changing it. Some filtered them, but it usually didnt get filtered either because it was a time consuming and dangerous pain in the ass. Most just had a little hand held stainless steel net they would fish the leftover burnt fries with.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i've always gone by smell and "dear lord this oil looks like tar" is there any other way better way to tell rancid?

like flow rate?

or just if it stank, it dank
If you smell rancid oil, you will never forget the smell.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

If I'm ever in that neck of the woods, can I get the nickel tour? To me that type of stuff is just fascinating. I don't think I've ever got to see a modern process production plant before, I've seen a lot of different types of manufacturing facilities, but I don't believe that one has been checked off the list.

I just enjoy seeing how all of that stuff operates. Like going to a brewery as a kid, and getting The Grand tour.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's great bud, you lived and worked in the armpit of disgusting America, and then you decided it was also good enough for your own home cooking.

That's cool. You do you.

It's also abhorrent and fucking disgusting. Even the post you linked describes how disgusting but you're still totally down with it. And apparently they do constantly change the fry oil but leave the fish oil? Separate oil for filet o fish?

Let me say it again bud, and anyone with eyes and a brain will agree. That's fucking disgusting.

Leaving your frying oil for months at a time is fucking disgusting.

Did you even read that reddit post?

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That's great bud, you lived and worked in the armpit of disgusting America, and then you decided it was also good enough for your own home cooking.

That's cool. You do you.

It's also abhorrent and fucking disgusting. Even the post you linked describes how disgusting but you're still totally down with it.
You dont know WTF youre talking about. If its gross to you than fucking change it, shit, change it after every time you fry some fries, lol. Ive been around this shit all my life since I was 15 and I know how far I can push my oil till shit starts to turn. Anyway youre dead wrong when restaurants change their shit.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
"THEY CONSTANTLY CHANGE THE FRY OIL"

hrmmmm.........

Hmmm..

Hmm.......

• 1Worf

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL youre just reading past the ones that dont, lol.

More posts II found about the subject...

I worked at McDonald's when I was 15 and I worked at Friendly's about 5 years ago. At McDonald's we filtered the oil after breakfast, after the lunch rush and then at closing and we changed the oil once per week. Despite McDonald's being awful food and stereotyped as disgusting dirty restaurants, the GM for the McD's I worked at was very particular and strict about keeping the restaurant and kitchen very clean. On the other hand, when I worked at Friendly's we only filtered at the end of the night and changed the oil once every 2 weeks.

I used to run a KFC, and we would filter our Pressure Cookers that were used for cooking 3-4 times a day, and would usually Half empty them 2x per week. You would never put completely brand new oil in them as it was a waste and you would siginificantly alter the taste of the chicken.

As an efficency method/Taste thing, we would empty the half of the oil to the fry cookers

McD changes the oil weekly, while some might keep it longer.

Most places I have worked we filtered it daily and changed it weekly on average. Canola oil since it became available. Lard, Beef Tallow or Hydronated Palm oils before that...

When I worked there, we filtered it daily and changed it weekly as others said.

Toukolou wrote: Food cooked in fresh oil missing some of the 'GB' and all of the 'D' in GB&D.

I prefer my food cooked in oil that's been around for a while.
I actually save a little of my old oil to mix into the new batch to preserve of the "flavor".
Without it it's missing something.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
It's also abhorrent and fucking disgusting. Even the post you linked describes how disgusting but you're still totally down with it. And apparently they do constantly change the fry oil but leave the fish oil? Separate oil for filet o fish?

Let me say it again bud, and anyone with eyes and a brain will agree. That's fucking disgusting.

Leaving your frying oil for months at a time is fucking disgusting.

Did you even read that reddit post?
Youre missing the fucking VOLUME a fast food restaurant goes through their friers daily let alone weekly. Its like orders of magnitude from what im doing at home. Like I said I fry in my firer usually once MAYBE twice a week. Mostly fries. Why would this oil go bad after a month, which is 4 and at most 6 fries in it? Its stored in a dark and cool pantry.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Youre missing the fucking VOLUME a fast food restaurant goes through their friers daily let alone weekly. Its like orders of magnitude from what im doing at home. Like I said I fry in my firer usually once MAYBE twice a week. Mostly fries. Why would this oil go bad after a month, which is 4 and at most 6 fries in it? Its stored in a dark and cool pantry.
What type of frier do you have? I've debated on getting a countertop model of some sort but I don't have a lot of room, and that's one of those things that I don't know if I want to have to fuck around with versus just setting stuff up outside stinking up the house.

I bought a turkey fryer from Academy a number of years ago that I'm never used it but it was on maybe 20 bucks where it was normally be a hundred or something. I need to fire that bitch up. Could probably do chicken and all kinds of wonderful things in it. I think it's some sort of Butterball deal.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Its a cheap one basket fryer I got at Wallmart, YEARS ago for like $40 or some shit. Its 1600w so you have to double fry your fries to make them crispy. Holds a little less than a gallon of oil. Basically fry the fries for like 4-6 min depending on style, fatter fries like steak fries go for longer, then take them out, let the thing heat back up to 375F and then dip the fries in again for 1-2 min to crisp them up.

As to the ventilation we have an old 70s era fan mounted on the outside of our gable end with a 6" pipe that goes to the ceiling of our kitchen that moves about 500-600CFM and of course we have a range hood that does the rest.

I keep the fryer on a full sheet baking pan thing and when I store it I put the whole thing into a box and it goes on my cupboard shelf. When running I put the fryer on the baking sheet right on my stovetop so the hood can do its thing and plus the vent fan too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What type of frier do you have? I've debated on getting a countertop model of some sort but I don't have a lot of room, and that's one of those things that I don't know if I want to have to fuck around with versus just setting stuff up outside stinking up the house.

I bought a turkey fryer from Academy a number of years ago that I'm never used it but it was on maybe 20 bucks where it was normally be a hundred or something. I need to fire that bitch up. Could probably do chicken and all kinds of wonderful things in it. I think it's some sort of Butterball deal.
you still need about (guesstimate) 1 gallons of oil in that turkey fryer (i have one) b/c of the min amount needed (to cover the coil)

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
you still need about (guesstimate) 1 gallons of oil in that turkey fryer (i have one) b/c of the min amount needed (to cover the coil)
Do you fry other stuff in it? I've never even unboxed the damn thing. Like I said I got it for like 20 bucks or something it was on deep discount at Academy. It's sitting in my garage. I don't know why the hell I bought it because I like The Big easy oil is infrared fryer deal. It's always done me right and it's super easy to use.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you fry other stuff in it? I've never even unboxed the damn thing. Like I said I got it for like 20 bucks or something it was on deep discount at Academy. It's sitting in my garage. I don't know why the hell I bought it because I like The Big easy oil is infrared fryer deal. It's always done me right and it's super easy to use.
i mean, when i fried turkey i also fried chicken and a big batch of fries

but i wouldn't do it w/o having to fry the turkey

• 1Like