Gravy's Cooking Thread

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Got a soup club going at work, 4 of us fellas get on good and have a rotation going every Friday for the tail end of winter. Cook the night before, bring it in an Insta pot with some bread and everyone’s happy

So far we have had a roast pumpkin, a tuscan soup which I made, a chicken and mushroom, and a roast tomato soup.

I grabbed the recipe for Zuppa Toscana from here. Never had it before but it won me over. It went down a treat since I was able to source meat from a friend’s family sausage making day too.

Since the search function is broken I’m appealing to the forum for more soup recipes you’ve made and enjoyed. Sure I could Google something, but I’d rather go with recommendations from real people here, doesn’t have to be fancy.
Could make a pot of chicken and andouille gumbo, or a seafood gumbo, that would probably be a big hit.

My wife has been making a really great chicken noodle soup for when my stomach is screwed up. Just pick up a rotisserie chicken, or you can always grab chicken thighs and brown them.

Just a standard mirepoix, but we also add mushrooms and leeks. Bay leaf, do a bouquet garni or whatever herbs you like such as thyme rosemary, etc. could splash a little white wine if you have it. Parsley stems in the bouquet are also great. And throw some fresh parsley in towards the end.

We don't cook the noodles in there though. We cook those separate. I found that it gets too gummy, so just make a big bag, keep it separate and I'm just add to your bowl and ladle on your soup.

Beauty of it is you can add whatever other vegetables. Sometimes we'll put sugar snap peas or cut up green beans. You could also add things like cannellini beans or navy beans. Hell if you wanted cauliflower or broccoli, I'm sure you could do that. I don't know I just really enjoy it and it's something I make and eat when I'm not feeling well.

You could always do a baked potato soup as well. I'd like to try to recreate the old one from bennigan's from way back when.

A good bisque isn't too hard, just requires a good stock.

You should check out the French cooking Academy on YouTube. The guy does classic French cuisine, and has quite a bit of different soups on there. He did won the other day that was apparently the favorite soup of Louis the 15th I think.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Lanx Lanx hey, what's your preferred brand of dark soy sauce? I'm sure you probably mentioned it in the past, I'm guessing it might be Lee Kum Kee?

Just trust you better than anybody about this stuff.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lanx Lanx hey, what's your preferred brand of dark soy sauce? I'm sure you probably mentioned it in the past, I'm guessing it might be Lee Kum Kee?

Just trust you better than anybody about this stuff.
I was told that Lee Kum Kee, being bottled in China, is most likely fermented sewer water.

Get Kikkoman but get it from an asian store, not the swill they sell to baka gaijin in normal grocery stores.

1724522851667.png

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I was told that Lee Kum Kee, being bottled in China, is most likely fermented sewer water.

Get Kikkoman but get it from an asian store, not the swill they sell to baka gaijin in normal grocery stores.

View attachment 543021
Kikkoman is the typical soy sauce that I buy. I just had to order another giant jug from Amazon the other day.

It's what I know and that's what I like. I don't know if it's a dark soy sauce though? I don't believe it is. I think dark soy sauce is supposed to be a thicker distillation. I'm assuming it's a hell of a lot more concentrated, I'm sure it probably had it in a dish at a restaurant, but I don't believe I've ever used it as an ingredient.

Is there a big difference between the two? Does it become more sweet or is it more salinity? I honestly don't know.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kikkoman is the typical soy sauce that I buy. I just had to order another giant jug from Amazon the other day.

It's what I know and that's what I like. I don't know if it's a dark soy sauce though? I don't believe it is. I think dark soy sauce is supposed to be a thicker distillation. I'm assuming it's a hell of a lot more concentrated, I'm sure it probably had it in a dish at a restaurant, but I don't believe I've ever used it as an ingredient.

Is there a big difference between the two? Does it become more sweet or is it more salinity? I honestly don't know.
dark soy is for soups and sauces, it's aged longer and will be thicker to "stick" better either adding starch or molasses (where you get the dark soy is sweeter)

it might be saltier b/c it's aged longer

you will know it's dark soy sauce, b/c it will say dark soy sauce/ for stew soups / thick, hearty

i've gotten ocd? w/ sauces and seasonings, a while ago i said i couldn't quite get a good jjajangmen (black bean noodles) down, well i have, and i'm pretty much confirmed it's b/c i was using chinese soy and blackbean vs using korean, so i keep 3 different regions of soy chinese/japanese/korean the 3 i'm most familiar with

if i were to venture into thai, like drunken noodles or pad kee mao, then yea i'd also get thai soy sauce too (from what i hear the thai soy is some naked baby on a bottle)

anyway, thats a roundabout way of saying amazon has korean soy on sale, my korean friends say ofoods or sempio are the goto, amazon has ofoods soy for half price and a 25% coupon too

O'Food Soy Sauce, Naturally Brewed Premium Soy Sauce, All-Purpose, Rich, Perfect for Marinating and Seasoning (For Soup & Stew (Kook), 840 ML)

the one i linked is the dark soy version, it might not work, i have no idea what youre cooking

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
dark soy is for soups and sauces, it's aged longer and will be thicker to "stick" better either adding starch or molasses (where you get the dark soy is sweeter)

it might be saltier b/c it's aged longer

you will know it's dark soy sauce, b/c it will say dark soy sauce/ for stew soups / thick, hearty

i've gotten ocd? w/ sauces and seasonings, a while ago i said i couldn't quite get a good jjajangmen (black bean noodles) down, well i have, and i'm pretty much confirmed it's b/c i was using chinese soy and blackbean vs using korean, so i keep 3 different regions of soy chinese/japanese/korean the 3 i'm most familiar with

if i were to venture into thai, like drunken noodles or pad kee mao, then yea i'd also get thai soy sauce too (from what i hear the thai soy is some naked baby on a bottle)

anyway, thats a roundabout way of saying amazon has korean soy on sale, my korean friends say ofoods or sempio are the goto, amazon has ofoods soy for half price and a 25% coupon too

O'Food Soy Sauce, Naturally Brewed Premium Soy Sauce, All-Purpose, Rich, Perfect for Marinating and Seasoning (For Soup & Stew (Kook), 840 ML)

the one i linked is the dark soy version, it might not work, i have no idea what youre cook

Thank you!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
For some reason the forum screwed up and it was having me look at another post that somebody had quoted me on, and it wasn't you, but I didn't realize that.

My apologies. You're one of the good ones. If I ever established my white power commune, you're more than happy to come and help me grow rice because it's a sustainable crop.

That and we would probably have fun cooking and I'm sure I could learn a lot from your wok skills.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Anyone else randomly pick up cooking ideas after someone links you an Instagram video and you browse a little bit?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
For soy sauce, we like squeeze bottles, so you don't accidentally pour too much on.

But here's our collection of stuff we use on the regular. Blue one in the middle is squeeze bottle soy sauce.

17245636837781676552778123779239.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
aren't you gonna move away from that island shithole? just say no to pineapple
Do you not like pineapple as a marinating ingredient? I mean it's kind of like Asian pears or whatever for Korean bulgogi. I typically use pineapple juice when I'm making fajitas, that in soy sauce.

Pappasito's which is a pretty big restaurant chain here in Texas, they're marinade is typically pineapple juice and soy sauce, Eminem throw it into those big commercial meat tumblers.

I don't ever necessarily taste pineapple when I use it, just had some sweetness and I guess the enzymes in the pineapple help tenderize the meat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

View attachment 543021
Just hit up H-Mart this weekend. Unlike any other grocery store or walmart in town they have plenty of Huy Fong goodies. Got 2 giant bottles of sriracha, 2 big tubs of chili garlic sauce, and a big tub of sambal olek since you guys have been singing its praises.

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just hit up H-Mart this weekend. Unlike any other grocery store or walmart in town they have plenty of Huy Fong goodies. Got 2 giant bottles of sriracha, 2 big tubs of chili garlic sauce, and a big tub of sambal olek since you guys have been singing its praises.
yea, well

i have a HD-Market
ccbcc3a6bbc493db4fc23a5787361a4e.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you not like pineapple as a marinating ingredient? I mean it's kind of like Asian pears or whatever for Korean bulgogi. I typically use pineapple juice when I'm making fajitas, that in soy sauce.

Pappasito's which is a pretty big restaurant chain here in Texas, they're marinade is typically pineapple juice and soy sauce, Eminem throw it into those big commercial meat tumblers.

I don't ever necessarily taste pineapple when I use it, just had some sweetness and I guess the enzymes in the pineapple help tenderize the meat.
i just don't like pineapple and i especially hate sweet n sour made w/ pineapple

• 1Like
  • 1Supertaster
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Making ribs this weekend … pondering methodology … looking to make 5 - 6 racks for baby backs, so different styles can happen.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Holy shit, was watching a cooking video earlier, and this popped up. I know we got some Chef JP fans, and thought this was pretty fun. I don't ever remember watching this show, or knew that he had one.

What's even more screwed this he just put out a steak video.

Goddamn algorithm.

Last edited:
  • 1Like