Gravy's Cooking Thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm trying to be nice, but there's got to be some civility in this thread.

This settles everything.

Italian grandmas and grandpas know the true way, none of this weird bundt pan shit with no sauce

I trust their wisdom, and recipes more than any retard on tiktok.
I

wth is that a 3 layer lasagna? min 6 layers or we send it back

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
wth is that a 3 layer lasagna? min 6 layers or we send it back
They're old...

I forget which cookbook I have though or maybe it was a video but I saw some restaurant that was famous for doing a 12 layer lasagna or at least something that ridiculous.

I'll have to figure that out where it's sad and post it.

I've tried to do a really heavy layered lasagna but the problem is if you're using any store-bought noodles it just doesn't seem to work. And I don't mind cheap noodles like that blue box whatever the hell cheap stuff is.

elcaro1101

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll see your 12 layers and raise you 88.

Same day made pasta, homemade béchamel and bolognaise, fresh mozz, pan seared, yum.

45727577.gif

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So one of my meat sources was willing to ask his processor (he's a farmer, not a butcher) for custom bone cuts and the dude said yes so I asked for some marrowbones cut longwise instead of the standard puck style cross-section. What I was expecting was traditional canoe cuts where its just the shank cut into sections sorta like this

1728744856541.png

What I got was two whole femurs cut down the middle, which was both way more than I wanted and way more than I had planned on spending. I'm gonna have to get a stainless steel sawzall blade to cut these down because they're too goddamn big to handle and no way am I ever making the mistake of trying to cut a cow femur with a traditional butcher's handsaw ever again. Was barely enough room in the freezer.

Definitely gonna make some decadent shit with all this marrow though. Some compound butter for sure, we'll see what else.

• 2Like
  • 1Quality Calories
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
So one of my meat sources was willing to ask his processor (he's a farmer, not a butcher) for custom bone cuts and the dude said yes so I asked for some marrowbones cut longwise instead of the standard puck style cross-section. What I was expecting was traditional canoe cuts where its just the shank cut into sections sorta like this

View attachment 552275

What I got was two whole femurs cut down the middle, which was both way more than I wanted and way more than I had planned on spending. I'm gonna have to get a stainless steel sawzall blade to cut these down because they're too goddamn big to handle and no way am I ever making the mistake of trying to cut a cow femur with a traditional butcher's handsaw ever again. Was barely enough room in the freezer.

Definitely gonna make some decadent shit with all this marrow though. Some compound butter for sure, we'll see what else.
Goddamn, make sure to post some photos when you cook it up. I don't typically do bone marrow unless it's around the holidays.

I'm sure it will be wonderful. With how rich it will be, and good bread, especially homemade, that's a meal unto itself.

Maybe parrot with steak tartar, and a arugula heavy salad.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

View attachment 552275

Why not take them back to the butcher and explain what you want? They can probably do whatever you want in a couple of minutes.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why not take them back to the butcher and explain what you want? They can probably do whatever you want in a couple of minutes.
Because I didn't get them from the butcher, I got them from the farmer. Even if the butcher agreed to do more cuts for free and the farmer agreed to lug them back and forth one more time it would take a week and I'd have to make another trip to the farmer's market. I had already planned on my trip last week being my last one for the year, I only went again yesterday to pick these up because the selection is pretty terrible at the end of the year.

It's not actually a big deal, getting a stainless steel sawzall blade was on my sooner or later list anyway and they're not very expensive at all.

• 1Like

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
KurganAU KurganAU

It was some came across my feed and I figured you might appreciate it.

Thanks mate, I've been meaning to give a version of that a go. One of the other blokes was going to make it but changed his mind and went with a potato and bacon soup instead. The other one that stands out was a lamb and barley soup, very hearty and good aftertaste.

Cooking at home has been old staples mainly, but I did try my hand at something new and made "Brown Ragu" Beef Bourgignon. Whole bottle of red wine instead of stock was different, and the recipe called for Madeira to soak the bacon in and deglaze but I subbed in a rose vermouth instead due to availability. Strong and rich flavour after 5 hours in the multicooker, made the house smell great as it vented.

If meat prices weren't stupid I would 100% make it with short ribs, but chuck steak worked well enough this go round. Good as this was, knowing it can be better and get some of that bone in flavour is appealing to revisit. White Ragu is on the cards at some point as well.

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cookie sheet/bakeware? I went with D5 stainless allclad for my cookware and will never go back… Should I avoid nonstick bakeware as well?

CC: Lanx Lanx and maybe lurkingdirk lurkingdirk (?)

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a cookie sheet/bakeware? I went with D5 stainless allclad for my cookware and will never go back… Should I avoid nonstick bakeware as well?

I just go with the restaurant style that you can get from one of those supply stores. Nothing fancy, but make sure to get a bunch of silicone pads too. I think with those, it really doesn't matter what you use, and they're great for keeping things from sticking.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

For cookie sheets, get the aluminum / air bake ones. They heat more evenly than stainless so no burnt/raw spots since baked goods are usually more sensitive to fluctuations in heat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

test kitchen rated these 1, every year
ae4d3c6359cebe0fcdc16f3618ebfd21.png

Nordic Ware Naturals Half Sheet, 2-Pack, Natural

of course you'll eventually will use it as a cooling rack so buy those now, these are a bit better in that they have 3 cross sectioned stand off as opposed to 2
ad2ee885335b2ece7434bee440d0637f.png

Checkered Chef Cooling Rack - 11 ¾" x 17 Set of 2 Stainless Steel, Oven Safe Grid Wire Cookie Cooling Racks for Baking & Cooking

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users