Guild Wars 2

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, and I can't even glide or use the mushrooms yet. I was very frustrated yesterday and was determined to get a refund. I'm going to give it one more shot this evening because I want to raid, I'm hoping it get's better.

Do we have anyone from RR with open slots in some raiding guilds?
It's definately more fun once you can glide, should not take too long. But I feel your pain, the first hours into the game you feel completely restricted to this smallish area where you first enter the map, and you have no clue how to get to other parts of the map. So you just run and run across all these winding paths, and when you try to get higher, the path is actually taking you lower and so forth. In the meanwhile you constantly get pummeled by pretty nasty mobs.

Yeah, I am glad I am past that part.
smile.png
It gets better, but I must admit that after completing the first map I stopped playing again. Could not really look forward to the 4 remaining maps, so that is something to consider...

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I'll echo that last post, I played the first two maps and haven't been back yet, the expansion is not as good as the base game was. I hope with the change in focus and leadership they had a few months back they'll get back to my idea of fun in the next year.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'll echo that last post, I played the first two maps and haven't been back yet, the expansion is not as good as the base game was. I hope with the change in focus and leadership they had a few months back they'll get back to my idea of fun in the next year.
I've also stopped entirely logging in. I tried to play a bit, found the new map confusing, saw that IHADto play on those maps to do anything for the new progression systems, said "sod it", and left the game to rot on a corner of the hard disk.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The gliding is pretty cool and the elites are required if you want to do any serious pvp or raids, for that you'll need the expansion.

But other than that HoT is a pretty serious let down. If you are casual and not interested in pvp, wvw or raids, HoT is probably a pass.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I gave it another shot last night before requesting a refund. I ran around for a few hours and still didn't get one levels worth of experience due to how little mobs there were to kill. I was wanting to raid but that is just not fun, I really have no idea what they were thinking.

keypusher_sl

shitlord
I keep coming back to GW2 for the WvW. It's in a pretty good place right now balance-wise, with server pairing there is a very active population across all tiers and great fights to be had. The fact that I can jump in, find the commander tag and within a couple minutes be in a fight is really compelling. Would definitely recommend making the effort to get on the server teamspeak, every server seems to have one and the commander and core squad is almost always there calling shots. And the community is really good, people are friendly and happy to help for the most part. For me the PVE part of the game is just window dressing, a place to get nice skins and kill stuff if I have to wait for WvW queue.

[VII] Leading Fun Fights and Good Times on Crystal Desert - YouTube

WvW Organized Fight Video With Comms(replaced with better link)

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
LoL that guy quit the game and went out with some terrible rantWhy I Quit Guild Wars 2 WvW (World vs World) - YouTube
He was bad anyways, only cared to map blob for fights.

Large scale fights happen in all tiers still, with t1 being the map blobs with heavy melee trains that can sustain for a while. People die... just depends on the group you're fighting. Problem with combat these days is stuff like boon(buff) stacking for minutes at a time with the use of revenants and mesmers, so for organized groups, it gets pretty hard to take them down even with the power creep of the expansion.

One my vids for the t3/4 fights.GW2 Ehmry/Henge WvW, featuring [RM], April 30th 2016 - YouTubewhich was before the new links which has one t4 server linked with 3 others so they have zergs on all the time.

keypusher_sl

shitlord
LoL that guy quit the game and went out with some terrible rant. He was bad anyways, only cared to map blob for fights.
Yeah, I agree I just had a hard time finding any good recent videos with comms, as I think you need to hear commander to get a real feel for the fight. I went ahead and replaced that link with some other guys I been running with recently on Crystal Desert. I think in some ways the fights were much better off in the lower tiers right now than up at T1, I wonder if everything is going turn more into blob vs blob with the server linking. The flip side is that before the server linking it could very difficult to find any groups on at certain times of day. That seems to be better now.

I was mildly annoyed watching that as it seems nobody can die? But also intrigued that such large scale fights were actually happening, and for an extended time.
Not true at all. In average fights or larger fights you can go down very quickly. Inexperienced players will often die in the first few seconds of engagement. To survive for a long period in a fight requires good positioning and team coordination. Coordinating stability so your group doesn't get cc'd, reflects and walls at the right time, water fields and blasts for recovery healing, cleansing conditions, etc. If you get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time the entire group can be wiped up in no time. I would say that fights now go on longer than they used to, an average open field engagement are usually over in a few minutes but I've seen contested fights at a keep go for 20-30 minutes. I think that is a combination of current balancing and commanders knowing when to back off and regroup instead of getting wiped.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty shocked battles of that size still go on. Is that normal or just a rare occurance(like a special weekend event or something)?

keypusher_sl

shitlord
Pretty shocked battles of that size still go on. Is that normal or just a rare occurance(like a special weekend event or something)?
Definitely common most days during NA primetime, depending on server population other timezones can be quite busy too. Friday nights are usually the busiest as that is when the maps reset, but all weekend is usually active. On weekdays you will often spend more time running around capturing castles and camps than fighting unfortunately.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
You can usually find most zergs up on NA prime time basically from 7pm-12pm est, and as mentioned reset night usually has all 4 maps queued from 10-12pm est for pretty much every server. During the week depends on the server and guilds on them as they don't run every night, but usually a pug zerg is running around on one or two maps, BG and TC usually have pug blobs running. Weekends are definitely the best action though, and when the fight guilds come out to lead pugs usually wed or thurs night.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right after HoT, wvw was deserted on pretty much every server. But a couple of months ago ANET focused on fixing WvW and it's payed off for them. A lot of players have come back and many servers have queues, even in mid week (NA).

There are still a ton of issues, some of them basic to the core gameplay. But ANET is trying and (gasp) listening. Far from perfect, but fun in short doses. The best part is you don't have to grind PvE.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Well they shrunk the server matchups from eight matches of 3 to four matches of 3 for NA, so yeah a lot more players on the maps these days. What basically got players back was server links, stability fix, reward tracks, implemented in the april patch, and then the switch back to alpine borderland. They're currently working on the scoring overhaul, some of the changes have already been implemented.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Interesting thanks, might have to load it up(though I probably need to buy a few expansions so not sure I will pull trigger). Perfect for me and limited time to game atm.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
If you meant expansions for GW2, they only have the one expansion so far, and it's for level 80 stuff. All the changes to wvw were implemented for free, since they allow free to play accounts in there (which you can also try actually, but you'll need to get one character to 60 to unlock wvw on the account). Only thing you'll really miss out from the expansion is the elite trait spec, which transforms the classes to a sub class that's more powerful than the original specs, not that you can't get by with the old specs.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
There's still a very healthy population, I pick the game up and play around from time to time and am always shocked at how many people there are running around in every zone. WvW always has a large zerg running, SPVP seems packed, and the boss events are always busy outside some of the annoying ones like bloodtide coast.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you meant expansions for GW2, they only have the one expansion so far, and it's for level 80 stuff. All the changes to wvw were implemented for free, since they allow free to play accounts in there (which you can also try actually, but you'll need to get one character to 60 to unlock wvw on the account). Only thing you'll really miss out from the expansion is the elite trait spec, which transforms the classes to a sub class that's more powerful than the original specs, not that you can't get by with the old specs.
Oh wow, only 1 expansion by now? Not so bad then. Yeah I did a necro to 60(or w/e max level was at the time) @ launch so that's no problem.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I keep coming back to GW2 for the WvW. It's in a pretty good place right now balance-wise, with server pairing there is a very active population across all tiers and great fights to be had. The fact that I can jump in, find the commander tag and within a couple minutes be in a fight is really compelling. Would definitely recommend making the effort to get on the server teamspeak, every server seems to have one and the commander and core squad is almost always there calling shots. And the community is really good, people are friendly and happy to help for the most part. For me the PVE part of the game is just window dressing, a place to get nice skins and kill stuff if I have to wait for WvW queue.

[VII] Leading Fun Fights and Good Times on Crystal Desert - YouTube

WvW Organized Fight Video With Comms(replaced with better link)
Wish we had thought to record comms when we were doing this back in DAoC... except in DAoC it was 8 versus dozens or hundreds in many cases.