Guild Wars 2

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Make sure you have friends to play with or a guild, you cannot run around those zones solo and survive. Even as a tanky elementalist it's almost instant death with some mobs.
Yeah I get those every once in a blue moon, some mobs will hit me for 10-12k in zerk gear, helps to be a reaper though.
Just can't be lazy and think you can run through every mob and stand in their ground crap, and use dodges. Still funny to see a clump of players downed all at once from a mini boss in HoT.

Gun Squad in T1 wvw, and another example of boon stacking out of control in organized hands. Hopefully it gets toned down in the next quarterly update, which some are predicting as early as july 19th when the spvp season ends.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
HoT really isn't that bad as a solo player as long as you have decent gear (exotics is fine) and know how to dodge / step out of the fire (red ring) etc. Each zone gets a bit tougher though. The roughest part of Verdant Brink is just figuring out the glider maze up top. Most of the hero points you can solo and the boss mobs are fairly easy from range. Auric Basin has regular groups so you can farm the main events. Tangled Depths is tougher to figure out as a solo and you need more help, same with Dragon Stand. You can still solo in the last two zones, but it isn't as rewarding and you will die occasionally.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
Anet selling the game(base game with expansion) 50% off starting tomorrow july 20-27, so $25 for standard edition, which is a good price.

Living story season 3, plus the summer quarterly update are coming July 26th.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
I always wanted to give the expansion a try but wasnt willing to drop 50 bucks on an expansion without a level increase however I will snag it at half off. I was looking through the gem shop last night, is the Living story season 2 worth the money? It's on sale at the moment too but Im not sure for how long, I may grab it as well if it's worth the money.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I always wanted to give the expansion a try but wasnt willing to drop 50 bucks on an expansion without a level increase however I will snag it at half off. I was looking through the gem shop last night, is the Living story season 2 worth the money? It's on sale at the moment too but Im not sure for how long, I may grab it as well if it's worth the money.
I generally don't like GW2's story stuff but have been finishing up the season 2 for the mastery points and actually enjoyed some of it. It's worth it imo with the discount.

Hekotat

I just reinstalled, will probably dabble a bit here and there. I'll pm you my handle sometime tomorrow.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Haven't logged on since HoT launch. Still haven't picked the expansion yet. Just no time to play dealing with three kids under 6. Should log in for my birthday stuff though.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Xpac was a lot better when they did that last content update and fixed rewards, the raids are just stupidly biased towards classes and not can you complete X script

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Same here; I'm logging in to unlock S3 ep, but I haven't even finished S2 yet... Maybe one day...

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Living World Season 3 is decent. Not much of it. But a nice addition. New zone is cool.

Hekotat

Yeah, the game sucks complete balls until you get gliding and updrafts. They should have included gliding from the start.

chorboy

Silver Knight of the Realm
Honestly i was super annoyed with gliding until it made it to where you didn't use endurance until you used the special skills (faster gliding, stealth etc). Falling out of the sky due to lack of endurance and dying was always fucking annoying. Also the mastery points piss me off, i only have those mini-games left to get more mastery points and i suck at them :^(

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
That explains my experience - I bought the expac on sale, made it to the second zone, made some headway into the story, unlocked like 2-3 basic masteries and promptly stopped playing, since getting around is like pulling teeth. I imagine it gets better with masteries, but catching up to events is really hard and just wandering around trying to get xp somewhere somehow is boring, not to mention every challenge seems to require groups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
If you have never played it, I'd still say the base game is very much worth playing and exploring, since it is beautiful and fun to explore. Some of the vistas give me an artistic boner. After that it's grinding for cosmetics and the smallest stat upgrades, which some people enjoy, others don't. I think it's the best realized world since vanilla WoW, the combat is very active and you are expected to dodge constantly, the game scales you down to low lvl zones, so the whole world is worth exploring and you can run into people everywhere and the way they handled cooperation with random strangers is perfect. The problem is that in the expansion they moved away from solo exploration towards group content in the maps, where the maps keep going through a cycle that last 1-2 hours, where you need people doing events all over the maps for max rewards, but those are once again mostly cosmetic... And well, if you fail at any moment, you just wasted a lot of time.

My personal beef is also with the way combat works - there's not much feedback on how well you are doing, you can never outgear content due to scaling, so you never get this power trip feeling present in other MMOs.

The tradeskills are well done, however to make money on them is close to impossible outside of a few specific niches, but for example the way you can discover new recipes in cooking makes for some enjoyable experimentation, the other professions follow a more predictable formula.

In the end, there is no subscription and Anet typically doesn't change much, so you can revisit the game a year later if you get bored, unlike WoW where you usually have to relearn your class from scratch every expansion.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users