HDTVs

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute. Don't hate on the tube TVs. Lol

Just got a 32 inch widescreen tube tv donated to us, for a bedroom tv and shits balla!! Widescreen tube?! Come on!!

But seriously, what's up with all the hype over Panasonic plasma TV? Why wouldn't I just go with a new Vizio 60" LED for $1k?

Edit: and I should clarify I'm aware of the image quality benefits and disadvantages of plasma technology, just wasn't sure why people seem to be scrambling for a Panasonic?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
People are scrambling for Panasonics because they announced they're not going to make plasmas anymore and people wanna get one before they're gone.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I bought a Panasonic TC-L58E60 and I'm super happy with the choice. I was going to go with an ST60, but decided against it for a few reasons: comparable ST60 screen size was a good deal more expensive, I frequently have mid to high amount of lights on, I routinely use my computer through my TV, I didn't want to spend time babying a plasma (even if serious problems are fairly rare nowadays), and I felt the relative darkness and reflectiveness of the ST60 would bother me. Looking at them in store (in slightly dimmed lighting that would be normal for me), I just couldn't convince myself I'd like the ST60 more, despite all the reviews.

Really couldn't be happier about it as I love the look of the screen (and based on some tests and other comparisons of this model and other LEDs, I got a good instance) and the size is just right for me. I like the functionality and after calibration and trying out various media, I have no complaints about quality. The Panasonics are definitely dropping out, though. I live in Kansas City and I had to drive three hours away to Branson to get this set -- all other stores, including a couple dozen Best Buys, were out of stock.

spronk

FPS noob
no TVs allowed in any bedroom in our house, study after study has shown bedtime TV watching in bed and right before sleep is one of the most detrimental things to healthy sleeping, especially in kids

ces was pretty weak this year on TV, the one thing every manufacturer tried to hammer home was curved screens. I don't get the appeal at all. bendable screens was kinda cool, but seemed gimmicky and useless

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Whats funny is we have like 2 27" tube TVs still and one monster 40" in the basement that I want to get rid of. That 40" Mitsubishi weighs like 200lbs, I swear. But the wife says no. "Someone will want it" LOL, like anyone wants a shitty 27" tube tv anymore. Even if I tried to donate it to salvation army they would laugh at me, lol. So im gona sneak that shit into the garbage tonite.
You obviously don't work with white trash. If you did, you wouldn't even have to ask that question, you'd just bring the damn TV in, put it in the break room with a sign, and watch as they fight over it.

Seriously, I brought an old 27" tube TV in less than a year ago, WITH a greenish tinge to one entire corner of the screen, and the first person I asked wanted it. The second and third to hear about it were pissed that I didn't offer it to them.

Never underestimate the power of white trash.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I see people trying to sell tube TVs in the classified ads all the time. That shit is worth less than nothing. You would have to pay me $50 to come pick it up and haul it to the dump for you. I also get a laugh out of people trying to sell used LCDs. I saw an ad on Craigslist where somebody was asking $700 for his 42" LCD TV because he paid $1500 for it 5 years ago. Good luck buddy.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People are scrambling for Panasonics because they announced they're not going to make plasmas anymore and people wanna get one before they're gone.
Ive had my VT60 a week now and holy shit I'm glad I bought it. Picture is just amazing! Glad I got in before places started to go out of stock.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I see people trying to sell tube TVs in the classified ads all the time. That shit is worth less than nothing. You would have to pay me $50 to come pick it up and haul it to the dump for you. I also get a laugh out of people trying to sell used LCDs. I saw an ad on Craigslist where somebody was asking $700 for his 42" LCD TV because he paid $1500 for it 5 years ago. Good luck buddy.
Yeah, the general public has no clue how the general market for electronics work. I work in insurance and we have people turn in claims all the time because their 5 year old laptop got stolen and they claim it's still worth 3 grand to replace it. Or get their Playstation 2 stolen out of their apartment and put in a claim for $400 to replace it. My mom still has a 32" tube TV in her home as her primary TV(even though she has an LED computer monitor, a tablet, etc) because she "doesn't want to spend a thousand dollars on a new TV"despite the fact that I tell her she could get a new TV, bigger than her tube, for less than she paid for her last purse. It's frustrating.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
OK installed the tv, wife loves it, I got the vizio TV, the one with the back lit array for localized dimming. Looks awesome after I looked up the calibration settings on avsforum

TheRashyman

Golden Knight of the Realm
So I'm looking at buying the Samung UN55F6300 55-Inch 1080p, is there really any noticable difference in 120 and 240Hz, and would anyone back away from this or have something they would buy instead? Also, I want a nice, but not some 2k home theater system to grab while I'm at it. I've never been really to savvy with all this, and I'm pretty much clueless on the theater system part.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Dropped a 35 & 27 inch tube tvs off at the electronic recycler today (the fancy bottle depot) was so nice to get that space in the closet back. Why would you put a tv in the garbage? do you not have free electronic recyclers in the us? We have 3 in my town alone!

I still need to figure out a way to get rid of my old 50inch rear projection, it's like 300 pounds and won't fit in my SUV! I guess it's time to risk the rape and put it on craigslist.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
So I'm looking at buying the Samung UN55F6300 55-Inch 1080p, is there really any noticable difference in 120 and 240Hz, and would anyone back away from this or have something they would buy instead? Also, I want a nice, but not some 2k home theater system to grab while I'm at it. I've never been really to savvy with all this, and I'm pretty much clueless on the theater system part.
I got the 75inch version of this, I love it. Very rarely notice motion issues and I watch a ton if hockey. It has bit of flashlighting which is not too noticeable unless it's all black like credits of movies. My wiFe did not notice until I pointed it out. Really like the all share to stream from my comp direct to the tv.

Last week I got the sound system hooked up. Ended up with a pioneer receiver, 2 polk bookshelfs and a klipsich sub. Just stereo for now will upgrade to full sour pound down the road. I am very happy with my set up.

Edit sour pound = surround

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
120hz is fine unless you plan on watching a lot of 3D, some people have issues watching 3D at 120hz(only 60hz per eye, some people see stuttering/choppiness). If you aren't doing the 3D thing, save some money and go 120hz.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
For a home theater, check avsforum.Com I just got a Harmon kardon receiver for downstairs, check newegg etc. For speakers, again check avs, monoprice has a decent set of 5.1 speakers for 220. Getting a home theater in a box, onkyo, pioneer, etc have decent beginner sets for under 400

Speakers tend to be more important than the receiver.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
120hz is fine unless you plan on watching a lot of 3D, some people have issues watching 3D at 120hz(only 60hz per eye, some people see stuttering/choppiness). If you aren't doing the 3D thing, save some money and go 120hz.
Considering most movies are all native 24 FPS, this really shouldnt be an issue. Most people that enable those software processed fast refresh rates complain of "the soap opera look" as jarring in movies. The only time I ever use those higher speeds is for watching Sports and Documentaries. Everything else just looks weird.

Column_sl

shitlord
Soap opera effect can be very good on the right display. I was with everyone else, I thought it look like shit until I got my f8000 now I can't watch anything with out it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Considering most movies are all native 24 FPS, this really shouldnt be an issue. Most people that enable those software processed fast refresh rates complain of "the soap opera look" as jarring in movies. The only time I ever use those higher speeds is for watching Sports and Documentaries. Everything else just looks weird.
From what I have read(I don't have 3d tv) since 24fps doesn't divide evenly into 60, 60 hz can cause some noticeable choppiness in 3d since a lot of conversion/processing has to be done on the fly. I Haven't seen this firsthand and it may not apply to every person or model of tv, but I've seen the complaint mentioned enough on various forms and reviews that it seemed worth mentioning.

120hz Is completely adequate for everything else and 240hz is unnecessary overkill imho unless you are doing 3d

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Soap opera effect can be very good on the right display. I was with everyone else, I thought it look like shit until I got my f8000 now I can't watch anything with out it.
I absolutely agree with you on this. It's all about what hardware is inside. Just like when 1080p first rolled out and all the TV's were offering "upconversion". Some did significantly better jobs at it than others. For the boosted refresh rates though, I would argue the TVs that do it well are the exception and not the norm. This is what I was basing my advice on.

My 75" 9000 series Samsung is flawless, but my low end 46" Samsung in the bedroom looks like complete shit.