Headphones & Audio Devices

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
Been using cheap shit for a while and was looking at upgrading. Initially narrowed it down to Beyerdynamic DT770 and Sennheiser HD600 for headphones, trying to decide if I want closed or open. The plan is to pair it with a Schiit stack (Magni 2 for amp and Modi 2 for DAC).

Then I got a chance to listen to a workmate's pair of Beyerdynamic DT150 and that's what I'm gonna buy. Looks old and clunky as hell but sure sounds good. I'd be interested if anyone knows of a better closed back headphone because these take the cake for me.

Although he doesn't cover those particular headphones, I came across Z Reviews on youtube and found his stuff entertaining. Lots of headphone reviews to search through on his channel.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've been using the Schiit stack for about a year now and really like it. I'd probably like to step up from the 598s as a next move in the next couple years.

benjamin

Trakanon Raider
A great inexpensive pair of corded over the ear phones are Sony' s MDR-V6. The sound quality for the price is amazing. For cordless phones for TV use I have on the ear Sennheiser HDR 120's. They've worked well for years.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I recently purchased a pair of Senn HD598SE's, mostly because my girlfriends headphones were shitting and the bed and I didn't want to buy her another crap pair. I bought some replacement ear pads and handed down my HD518's to her. I thought those were outstanding headphones, but using them side by side I am blown away by how much better the 598's are.

I guess I'll give the run down on my whole setup.

For listening:
Sennheiser HD598 SE's
Asus Xonar DG Soundcard

For recording:
Neewer NW-700 microphone setup with phantom power supply
For the price you can go wrong, good entry level condenser microhpone, arm, shake mount and the amp for 53$

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I currently have the Phillips X2 Fidelio's paired with the Magni 2 Uber. Do you guys think it's actually worth getting a DAC (which most likely would be the Modi 2 Uber if I were to get one)?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
If you do not have a pair of audiophile quality headphones...Go run and buy these now. RUN!

Massdrop: Bringing Enthusiasts Together

Headfi final thoughts:

Masssdrop and HIFIMAN have been able to accomplish the unthinkable, which is to create a headphone that checks all of the auditory and practical boxes: fit, sound, and that slick aesthetic flair this headphone manages to exude. After thoroughly listening to and enjoying the HE350, I would agree that it should be recommended as one of, it not, the entry-level audiophile headphone. With that said, if you want an energetic headphone that offers remarkable clarity, soundstage that is immense in diligence and a fit with feel that is above its weight in gold, the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 should be a part of your personal collection.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If you do not have a pair of audiophile quality headphones...Go run and buy these now. RUN!

Massdrop: Bringing Enthusiasts Together

Headfi final thoughts:

Masssdrop and HIFIMAN have been able to accomplish the unthinkable, which is to create a headphone that checks all of the auditory and practical boxes: fit, sound, and that slick aesthetic flair this headphone manages to exude. After thoroughly listening to and enjoying the HE350, I would agree that it should be recommended as one of, it not, the entry-level audiophile headphone. With that said, if you want an energetic headphone that offers remarkable clarity, soundstage that is immense in diligence and a fit with feel that is above its weight in gold, the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE350 should be a part of your personal collection.

How do these compare to 598SE?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I've owned the He-5Le. If they are on that same vein, they will be better but have HARSH highs. (Most of the HiFiMan headphones are like this). You will need to EQ em. Also everything I have read says they would be better served with a small amp. If the highs are harsh I would snag a small tube amp/dac.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
If you have the original 598s these don't sound like an upgrade.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Initially narrowed it down to Beyerdynamic DT770 and Sennheiser HD600 for headphones, trying to decide if I want closed or open

The 80 Ohm DT770 dropped to $118 tonight, I bit and bought them on a recommendation. We'll see what I think, should get here Monday. I have some 5 year old Denon AHD2000 that I've really like and are comfortable, but at this stage the leather is seriously wearing on them and the right earphone is kind of intermittent

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Pretty crazy, from $250 to $100. These are "closed back".Amazon.com: Sennheiser HD 598 Cs Closed Back Headphone: Electronics

If you have the original 598s these don't sound like an upgrade.

Well, I just got them delivered now. Not 'burned in yet' or anything but initial thoughts:

I can say that compared to the 598s the Cs are definitely different. Slight mid scooping or bass bump on EQ, very subtle but noticeable. Closed back is just not as nice a sound stage as open back in ideal conditions. I can crank the 598s higher without damaging my ears or ruining the sound HOWEVER the Cs are very good at providing a clean passive noise cancellation sound stage. They are probably a bit better than my M50Xs in that regard (though not nearly as portable for an airplane unfortunately).

So the plusses:
  • Very good insulated sound stage
  • Great sound quality overall
  • Comes with Mic'd cord for smartphone use
  • Much much better than 598s in environment without complete quiet (like woman watching Zootopia while I'm trying to rock out to AC/DC)
  • Able to crank volume a bit without disturbing other people
The minuses:
  • Closed back version is just not quite as good overall for listening in ideal conditions
  • Slightly modified EQ
  • Not quite as comfortable (ear cup material is slightly different, 598s are super comfy, these are merely decent)

I think they're worth the $100 easy but meh I would struggle with saying they are a GREAT buy at $150 (or $250 msrp). Despite the drawbacks, I also think they're a better buy IF you are only going to own one pair as a headset for everything (gaming, listening ,movies, etc.). If you just want to listen to music and have a quiet room to do so, the original 598s are better.

EDIT: Also, should mention if you have both and something like a modmic, you can swap them out at your leisure because the connections are interchangeable.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I know this is low class for this thread but picked up the original hyperx clouds to replace an old (12 years or so) sennheiser set. Some precursor to the pc360. Such a great headset for the price.

Almost bought the 598 and a mic but didn't really want to break the 100 threshold. Plus I have like 70 sets of sennheiser headphones going back 10 years.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
can't find any good headset right now

LOGITECH I hear is reaching shitty level and basically riding on their brand to sell their goods despite lowered quality and high value cost.

Razor I know has a cord issue since they tangle easily and break...

mmmm

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I know this is low class for this thread but picked up the original hyperx clouds to replace an old (12 years or so) sennheiser set. Some precursor to the pc360. Such a great headset for the price.

Almost bought the 598 and a mic but didn't really want to break the 100 threshold. Plus I have like 70 sets of sennheiser headphones going back 10 years.
I feel the same way....don't want to branch out above $300. For me, sound quality comes down to shit and okay. Nothing above that. I am hoping somewhere around $150-170 will do...

Recently found Logitech G933 for $150 CDN ($100 in Murica bucks) and the reviews are by the downside... not really excited at all.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay, I'm going to ask some probably dumb questions but I've never really been good with audio stuff so bear with my retard level questions.

I have a Xonar DGX sound card, and I just got Beyerdynamic DT 770's. They sound pretty good, I'm just wondering if there is anything I should do. I'm assuming I don't have to install anything for the headset specifically, just use the soundcard stuff. Are there any settings I should use or things I should do within the soundcard software? Things like 7.1 Virtual Speaker, Dolby Headphone, Hi-Fi, GX. I'm assuming the obvious answer of the highest audio channels and sample rate. Should I hav ethe Analog out setting to 5.1 speakers or Headphones? Does Smart Volume stuff work and should I use it?

Sorry for retarded probably obvious answer questions. It's been an extremely long week, and I'm just too mentally exhausted to figure stuff out.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I feel the same way....don't want to branch out above $300. For me, sound quality comes down to shit and okay. Nothing above that. I am hoping somewhere around $150-170 will do...

Recently found Logitech G933 for $150 CDN ($100 in Murica bucks) and the reviews are by the downside... not really excited at all.

I mean, I was going through a G9xx headset every 6-10 months. Overall at least 5 headsets in the last 4 years. So consider that in your calculus.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Okay, I'm going to ask some probably dumb questions but I've never really been good with audio stuff so bear with my retard level questions.

I have a Xonar DGX sound card, and I just got Beyerdynamic DT 770's. They sound pretty good, I'm just wondering if there is anything I should do. I'm assuming I don't have to install anything for the headset specifically, just use the soundcard stuff. Are there any settings I should use or things I should do within the soundcard software? Things like 7.1 Virtual Speaker, Dolby Headphone, Hi-Fi, GX. I'm assuming the obvious answer of the highest audio channels and sample rate. Should I hav ethe Analog out setting to 5.1 speakers or Headphones? Does Smart Volume stuff work and should I use it?

Sorry for retarded probably obvious answer questions. It's been an extremely long week, and I'm just too mentally exhausted to figure stuff out.

I mean I don't know too much about all the fake surround sound stuff but if you care you should probably read into your sound card a bit more to find out its limitations (ie if it drops bitrate above certain channels or something) or how it accomplishes certain ones (ie distorting sound).

Good headphones are just speakers right next to your ears at the end of the day, they are not going to magically sound like legit 7.1 system nor will they fix audio quality issues. I use my onboard RealTek thing and have no problem with stock settings, I just keep my EQ flat and have my DAC in between.