Headphones & Audio Devices

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Will my wife be able to hear the Sennheiser 598s at low volume if I use them in bed?
They're pretty loud, yeah. Not really an option for listening in bed without annoying the shit out of the person beside you.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
They're pretty loud, yeah. Not really an option for listening in bed without annoying the shit out of the person beside you.
Thanks, did a bit of research and figured out what "open back" means =)

Ordered a pair of the 598s and also a pair of the Audio Technica M50x to audit, see which works better for me and get a chance to compare the two.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I have both, they're great and I would keep both. That said the m50s are probably more useful doing things like listening in bed or on an airplane because they block out a lot of ambient noise.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
So my roommate and I purchased a pair of these Microphone setups last week to improve our voice chat quality. Especially now that I'm Twitching. Pretty fantastic for an entry level condenser microphone with a proper XLR connection. The boom arm really helps in dealing with the much increased size of the microphone versus my tiny computer desktop microphone I had before.

Amazon.com: Neewer? NW-700 Professional Condenser Microphone & NW-35 Suspension Boom Scissor Arm Stand with Built-in XLR Cable and Mounting Clamp & NW-3 Pop Filter & 48V Phantom Power Supply with Adapter Kit

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Perfect time to brag about my flea market find :
aKHQcvm.jpg

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I bit the bullet and bought the Btunes adaptor and I'll report back on my findings, seems like a pretty cool option if I don't want to be tethered but I can still cable up when doing serious listening. Kinda pricey but it's on sale for $79.99 and here's a link to a $10 off coupon if anyone is interested.

http://go.referralcandy.com/share/2G3DZGB

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd like to get wireless headphones with a mic for gaming for it seems like they're few and far between. Should I just get a desk mic and headphones? Not an audiophile and don't want to spend a lot.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'd like to get wireless headphones with a mic for gaming for it seems like they're few and far between. Should I just get a desk mic and headphones? Not an audiophile and don't want to spend a lot.
I would stay away. I used wireless for many years - Logitech, Razer and others. The fidelity isn't as good as solid wired sets but the biggest killer to me was none of them stay connected for long. I suffered with short disconnects every few minutes for years because I thought the wireless was worth it. I finally gave up on them after the newest Logitech release was even worse. I'm much more pleased with a quality wired setup.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Get some Senn RS180's and a desktop mic.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was going to say he didn't want to spend a lot, but he also bought a 4 million dollar espresso machine so I'm not sure if 300 dollar headphones would fall under "a lot".

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Get some Senn RS180's and a desktop mic.
This, the markup on headsets is ridiculous. The headphone half generally sucks especially for music, and the mic is usually super low grade.

Get a good set of headphones, and a mic that is acceptable to your budget. After my short experience with them even a low end condenser mic rocks!

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I would stay away. I used wireless for many years - Logitech, Razer and others. The fidelity isn't as good as solid wired sets but the biggest killer to me was none of them stay connected for long. I suffered with short disconnects every few minutes for years because I thought the wireless was worth it. I finally gave up on them after the newest Logitech release was even worse. I'm much more pleased with a quality wired setup.
I have had theSteelSeries Siberia 800'ssince January and they are the first wireless headphones that I've really liked. I have the Senn 175's too but didn't think they sounded that great so I set out to find something better. First tried the Astro A50's and they were junk - weird buzzing issue with them. Previously I had a Logitech headset and would say with absolute passion to stay the fuck away from Logitech. Then went to the SteelSeries and was pleasantly surprised.

They have excellent range (best I've ever had), two batteries which is awesome because you basically never have to worry about running out of juice, mic clarity is good enough and the sound is totally acceptable to me (but I'm not a hifi nutjob or anything). I'd definitely recommend them to someone that absolutely wants wireless.