Headphones & Audio Devices

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Okay, I'm going to ask some probably dumb questions but I've never really been good with audio stuff so bear with my retard level questions.

I have a Xonar DGX sound card, and I just got Beyerdynamic DT 770's. They sound pretty good, I'm just wondering if there is anything I should do. I'm assuming I don't have to install anything for the headset specifically, just use the soundcard stuff. Are there any settings I should use or things I should do within the soundcard software? Things like 7.1 Virtual Speaker, Dolby Headphone, Hi-Fi, GX. I'm assuming the obvious answer of the highest audio channels and sample rate. Should I hav ethe Analog out setting to 5.1 speakers or Headphones? Does Smart Volume stuff work and should I use it?

Sorry for retarded probably obvious answer questions. It's been an extremely long week, and I'm just too mentally exhausted to figure stuff out.

Turn off all the bullshit special effects. Set it to 2 channel headphones, adjust the OHM setting based on the value of your headphones. Do you know which impedance 770's you got?

If you set it to anything but 2 channel its going to chop up the audio and send some to speakers that don't exist. Good headphones like your 770's in proper stereo will be the most immersive you'll ever get. Any proper modern game has a setting for headphones which basically takes into account the binaural effects of headphones.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
I don't think I'll ever buy another set of headphones without a removable cable. Such a simple fucking thing, but makes a huge difference in the life of the product.

galgor

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't think I'll ever buy another set of headphones without a removable cable.

Agreed. That's one of the largest reasons I like my HD25's. I couldn't count how many times I hopped off the bus or whatnot and get the cable wrapped up on something. I've replaced the removable cable ($5) about four times in five years. Had it not been for that, they'd either be DOA or RMA'd.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Got the 598c and what Palum said is spot on. Overall, they are a tad inferior to the 598s in comfort and sound quality but they are still pretty damn nice, especially if you can get em for $100. Essentially the 598s are my default headphones and I swap to the 598c when I want the closed back for noise cancellation.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i kept my old audio technica ad700 chugging along, opened em up and redid the wiring (cuz i was getting static

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd bought a set of bluetooth earbuds from Soundpeats before, and so they sent me an email to try out their new headphones. Amazon already has them discounted, or maybe they are perma discounted to $50, and then they sent me a code for 50% off. I told them it didn't work, because Amazon was doing some weird shit, so they sent me another code. Went back to try again and the code was already applied, so I've got an extra code to get these for $25 if someone wants to get em and try em out?

Amazon.com: SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2 Headphones Cordless Earphones Sweatproof In-Ear Headset with Mic, Secure Fit for Sports: Cell Phones & Accessories

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
I'd bought a set of bluetooth earbuds from Soundpeats before, and so they sent me an email to try out their new headphones. Amazon already has them discounted, or maybe they are perma discounted to $50, and then they sent me a code for 50% off. I told them it didn't work, because Amazon was doing some weird shit, so they sent me another code. Went back to try again and the code was already applied, so I've got an extra code to get these for $25 if someone wants to get em and try em out?

Amazon.com: SoundPEATS Wireless Earbuds, True Wireless Stereo Bluetooth 4.2 Headphones Cordless Earphones Sweatproof In-Ear Headset with Mic, Secure Fit for Sports: Cell Phones & Accessories
I'll take that code if you still have it bro.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have a suggestion for a mid-range USB DAC headphone amp? Never bought one, but figure I am not doing my Grados any justice using the standard output on my laptop / desktop.

Pizoi

Golden Squire

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The 80 Ohm DT770 dropped to $118 tonight, I bit and bought them on a recommendation. We'll see what I think, should get here Monday. I have some 5 year old Denon AHD2000 that I've really like and are comfortable, but at this stage the leather is seriously wearing on them and the right earphone is kind of intermittent

I've gotta say, I'm extremely happy with this set of headphones. Lightweight, sound great, awesome isolation, pretty comfortable, feels like good build quality. I'd recommend them to others

DonBenno

Molten Core Raider
Im looking for a new gaming headset and soundcard for christmas. My budget is around £150 ($200) for the headset, read through this thread and had a look at the hyperX clouds, can i get much better than these for this kind of money? I mainly play FPS and would find good surround sound useful, i have a large head so comfort could be a problem on smaller headsets.

Edit: Also considering Sennheiser G4ME ZERO

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have a huge head and making out the hyperx they fit comfortably.

Surround sound in headsets is junk