Headphones & Audio Devices

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Sounds like you're all set!
yeah i've got the sub at like 5% volume, speakers probably around 15%, and my windows volume around 30%, and it's plenty of sound for me!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like you're all set!
yeah i've got the sub at like 5% volume, speakers probably around 15%, and my windows volume around 30%, and it's plenty of sound for me!
So yeah, wish I would have bought the YU4s, the YU6s are pretty big even on my 8 foot desk. I went to go buy a Matte White Pair today and they are out of stock as far as Amazon Prime goes, but they have other buying options for a higher price. I will monitor the inventory and hopefully they show up before my return window on the YU6s. It won't be the end of the world if just keep these, but yeah I made the wrong choice.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
For anyone looking to break into the audiophile scene. One helluva price. HE6se @600 bucks.

hmhe6sev2.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Found a slightly used Hel 2 on OfferUp, went ahead and picked it up for MORE POWER!!!!!

I'll probably take the original Hel I have up to the office with some nice headphones.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Amazon has some good deals on headphones right now, must be all that surplus inventory after the supply chain issues.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I bought a 5.1 Polk home theatre system. The nice stuff, that goes in the walls & ceiling.

It has been about a year or so of use and all of a sudden the Rear Right ceiling speaker, a MC60, sounds like it is under-water. Super muffled. I did a bit of googling and a blown Tweeter sounded like the problem.

Tweeter? WTF is a Tweeter?

I don't know the first thing about audio equipment, but I am never afraid to dig in and figure shit out. So I pop off the cover off, start unscrewing stuff, and finally get it out of the ceiling. Still plugged in, I notice that when I flex the wires going into the little top speaker (Tweeter) the audio gets better/worse. So, that is definitely the issue. I continue unscrewing parts and get down to just the round Tweeter and notice two wires going into it. The first wire is soldered in and secure as it should be. The second is loose and floating, without solid contact in the socket.

I am going to get a Soldering Iron and see if I can fix it. Wish me luck.

MC60.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Sub/bass/midbass/midrange/tweeter are related to speaker size and frequency. Smaller speaker the higher the pitch. No tweeter you lose definition and voices sound like ass. Mostly those wires pass through the cone to the voice coil at the base of the cone. It's a literal copper coil inside the magnet. The cones move in/out from electromagnetism to reproduce sound waves.

Good luck with the soldering iron, however you'll have better luck not fucking with it and contact Polk for warranty. They have pretty good customer service.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My brother had a soldering iron that he was able to borrow me. Got it fixed. The space was a bit tight in the Tweeter, so given that & it was my first time doing anything like this, it probably wasn't the cleanest fix. But again, it's done and sounds great again.

I don't think I was using enough metal at first because every time I'd apply the tip of the iron, I couldn't get the wire to stick to the surface. I just kept at it till there was a decent gob of the stuff on there and looked comparable to the wire that was correctly adhered on the other side.

I also reached out to Polk as a contingency, incase I broke it even worse. Even though I explained exactly what the problem was, they were already giving me the run around. Want to change speaker locations, etc. Glad I just did it myself and saved the $120 replacement or the time waste with Polk customer service.

• 2Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Looking for recommendations for some USB DAC s with SPDIF out.

Motherboard died so I am upgrading my mini ITX audio server, however new motherboards Im considering do NOT have SPDIF onboard, neither on back plate nor any header. My present Audio setup uses motherboard SPDIF via Toslink cable to an SMSL Mini DAC M3 ..... which feeds either an (1) old HK Analog AMP via line out, or (2) Headphones.

(edit) Found this for cheap, should work fine giving me music/movie sound output to SPDIF ?

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Bought this on a whim because I like messing around with stuff and I needed something relatively inexpensive that could mix optical in with some other sources and output to multiple sources too.

If you own any good large-soundstage open-back headphones that are listed as SXFI compatible, you have to give this thing a try, it's a very interesting experience. It is by far the most interesting virtual headphone surround that's available anywhere. Even relatively cheap large soundstage headphones like AKG K7XX or the Philips ones sound really good.

(Software was annoying as fuck to setup, but the end result was worth it.)

It's a fun little toy that's compatible with PS4, PS5, Switch and PC, and can mix in from your phone if you want to listen to music while gaming or anything like that.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Bought this on a whim because I like messing around with stuff and I needed something relatively inexpensive that could mix optical in with some other sources and output to multiple sources too.

If you own any good large-soundstage open-back headphones that are listed as SXFI compatible, you have to give this thing a try, it's a very interesting experience. It is by far the most interesting virtual headphone surround that's available anywhere. Even relatively cheap large soundstage headphones like AKG K7XX or the Philips ones sound really good.

(Software was annoying as fuck to setup, but the end result was worth it.)

It's a fun little toy that's compatible with PS4, PS5, Switch and PC, and can mix in from your phone if you want to listen to music while gaming or anything like that.
After playing with this for a week now. Do not underestimate this thing.

There are many stupid requirements.

You must own SXFI compatible headphones, ideally ones with a large soundstage. Also the headphone amp isn't as strong as some other DACs, so super high impedance headphones are basically out.

You must install a very stupid app on your phone, and take pictures of your ears (no easy task to do alone) and your head. You must then get the phone app to sync with the device. You need to use the actual Creative App to control the equalizer (and the EQ is very important, not an afterthought.) The software is largely fucking garbage, all around, though only the SXFI app (the one for taking pictures of your head) is truly terrible. There are actually two phone apps, one for customizing the device for your headphones and one for controlling the settings of the device when it's attached to a non-PC device.

But once you get it all setup, it is very cool. SBX was very good virtual surround for the time, SXFI is another generational leap past that.

One really neat feature is that it actually presents to Windows as 2 different sound devices. The "Speakers" device is your game sound, and has all your effects like SXFI, EQ, Virtual Surround, etc, applied to it. The "Headset" device is just flat stereo audio. This is what you set your podcast app, Discord, etc, to play through. (If the app you're using doesn't support audio device selection, you can use the System > Sound > Mixer in Windows 10 or 11 to control which app uses which audio output device.) The second volume knob controls the balance between the two, so if you need to turn down game volume and turn up chat or your podcast app or whatever, you can do that very quickly.

It's got line in and optical in and will mix all 3 sources: USB, Line In and Optical without issue, which is really good for me since I use MouseWithoutBorders to control 2-3 different PCs as one PC and want the audio all mixed together.

It's also got line out and optical out, but I haven't tried using it with real speakers. It can do Line out + Headphones if you have speakers but still want to use your headphones for Discord or any other particular app.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone have experience fixing a Schiit product? I have a Modi 2 that would occasionally stop being recognized by my computer during colder months. Stick in front of a space heater and it's fine until my computer reboots(don't know). Googling around, it looks to be solder reflow. Worth sticking it in the oven or just buy something new at this point?

Ok, not solder reflow. Defective chip.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Hey all looking for advice and a backstory :)

So currently I am looking to get one headset to rule them all and do not mind paying extra for a decent headset. Currently I have decided that I have way too many fucking headsets and its time to clean it up - with that said, current inventory:

PC - Arctis 7 Wireless
Xbox Seres X: Turtle Beach 600 (Older around 2014 or so)
PS5 - Sony Pulse/Sony Gold

What I am looking for is higher than average audio quality, good mic capability, long lasting battery life and the ability to use the headset on my Series X, PS5, PC if I want, and also when I am traveling. So I started poking around and found these bad boys:

Doing some research I found I will most definitely want the XBox version as the set and DAC will work with all 3. It is 2.4ghz as well as bluetooth and can even play simultaneously. It has Active Noise Cancellation, and the DAC charges a separate battery (included) as you play with the current one. It's all REALLY fucking slick from what I can see and the reviews are pretty positive. The DAC has two usb outs so I can plug that into my Series X and PS5 and easily switch between the two without feature loss - Atmos and Tempest are supported. $349 price point.

Curious what folks think - if anyone has a set of these and have used other of the above in the past related purely to audio quality - it's hitting every check on the box for what I want to do.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

So currently I am looking to get one headset to rule them all and do not mind paying extra for a decent headset. Currently I have decided that I have way too many fucking headsets and its time to clean it up - with that said, current inventory:

PC - Arctis 7 Wireless

What I am looking for is higher than average audio quality, good mic capability, long lasting battery life and the ability to use the headset on my Series X, PS5, PC if I want, and also when I am traveling. So I started poking around and found these bad boys:

Doing some research I found I will most definitely want the XBox version as the set and DAC will work with all 3. It is 2.4ghz as well as bluetooth and can even play simultaneously. It has Active Noise Cancellation, and the DAC charges a separate battery (included) as you play with the current one. It's all REALLY fucking slick from what I can see and the reviews are pretty positive. The DAC has two usb outs so I can plug that into my Series X and PS5 and easily switch between the two without feature loss - Atmos and Tempest are supported. $349 price point.

Curious what folks think - if anyone has a set of these and have used other of the above in the past related purely to audio quality - it's hitting every check on the box for what I want to do.

Paging MrHolland420 MrHolland420 to the white courtesy phone

• 2Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Interested to hear your opinion on them MrHolland420 MrHolland420 - Would buy yours but I have a shit load of amazon gift bucks so I would be buying them from there.

Mostly curious about audio quality.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

PC - Arctis 7 Wireless

I'll be getting the PS5 wired version of the Nova's this weekend or the next. I owned a previous version of the SS Arctis and thought they sounded OK, not as good as my Sennheiser 599's, but they were alright and comfy. If you haven't pulled the trigger on those by then, I'll mention what I think.

• 1Solidarity

MrHolland420

KRA! KRA!
<Silver Donator>
Interested to hear your opinion on them MrHolland420 MrHolland420 - Would buy yours but I have a shit load of amazon gift bucks so I would be buying them from there.

Mostly curious about audio quality.
I had this long damn thing ready to post and damn phone died.

Anyways, I love them, the quality is great especially through 2.4ghz and Bluetooth is good as well.

It's so nice to have an extra battery charging while you're using the other.

Being able to do your computer or consol through 2.4ghz and phone on Bluetooth incase you get an important call or if you want to order a pizza & weed(depending on your state) without having to take your headphones off brings a new meaning to human engineering advances toward everything being connected.

The range on it is actually better than the Nova. Audio quality with 3D audio is great, even stereo of that's your gig. It could benefit from a bit more bass but you can mess with the equalizer for that.

Fantastic headset tbh, I would keep it, but I would like somebody else to enjoy it and some extra money in the wallet never hurts.

I was thinking $150 for the Arctis Wireless Pro is fair(probably a little low tbh), with both ear cushions, all the wires, box, and has been taken well care of.

Steelseries makes quality gaming headsets, 👌🏻 KRA!

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like