Health Care Thread

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
well as long as 51% of people like it fuck the rest of them... what absurdity polarity causes.

Algiz

N00b
Call Obama and him know your vicodin generic price predictions
I know I brought this up a couple of days ago, but I wanted to get some actual numbers.

Currently, our pharmacy charges $25 for 30 Hydrocodone/APAP 5mg/500mg. Generic Norco 5/325 (Same drugs, different ratio) runs about the same cost.

In January,the maximum amount of APAP allowed in prescription drugs will be 325 mg. So Norco exists and has a cheap generic, which is fine. But Vicodin decided to make their own compliant version, which comes in a strength of 5/300. A generic for it came out a little bit ago. Doctors will specifically write for the 5/300 version. The pharmacy I work at charges $57.99 for 30 tablets of Hydrocodone/APAP 5/300.

Costs are being inflated in ways that people will rarely see and providers will rarely account for, and insurance companies sure as hell aren't going to eat that increase. They're going to spread it among everyone. Wheeeee.

It's funny, you never hear about the terrors of government regulation when there's profit to be made from it.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Popular opinion is a foundation of our nation... and 51% is when that plurality is generally given credence.

Some people dislike anything for a random reason some dislikes must always be discounted the utopia of everyone being happy will never exist. So the majority being happy is a sane median to target.

Vaclav

For the vicodin I've gotten those prices are out of parity with around here, my generics were labelled as 4 times that before insurance costs just a month and a half ago.

Could be your pharmacy is just equalizing with expensive states.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just because they matched doesn't mean they took the position.
By participating in the match, they already accepted the position. Failure to report to the position puts them in breach of contract and they can't ever be matched.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
By participating in the match, they already accepted the position. Failure to report to the position puts them in breach of contract and they can't ever be matched.
Interesting, didn't know that. Thanks

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Just because they matched doesn't mean they took the position.
In that event the hospital quickly fills the position out side of the match process, with any of the list of individuals they have on waiting lists.. BTW not taking a position after a match is extremely rare, and not having it fill is even more rare, since the hospital will lose the training dollars, but either way that has nothing to do with the argument of not enough doctors.
BTW Do you have any statistics on those numbers, the people who after a match don't take the position??

Edit: Ishad responded. Also i'm married to a IMG going thru the match process so im knees deep in the thing.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Edit: Ishad responded. Also i'm married to a IMG going thru the match process so im knees deep in the thing.
Good luck, match is stressful for everyone. Enjoy planning around a completely fucked up schedule for the next few years. At least first years can't do 30 hour shifts anymore.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Medical schooling has always struck me as ass backwards. Why exactly is it setup that youre basically a slave during the latter stages of it?

Vaclav

Medical schooling has always struck me as ass backwards. Why exactly is it setup that youre basically a slave during the latter stages of it?
Slaves? Pretty sure intern doctors get paid pretty well... and have no insurance requirements since the training school still covers them, etc.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Slaves? Pretty sure intern doctors get paid pretty well... and have no insurance requirements since the training school still covers them, etc.
3 of my in laws are doctors and they complain about this constantly. "I had to do 4 years residency where I get paid NOTHING!" Except they made like 60-65k which is more than most fresh out of school people make. Granted, the MD's went to 4 years of grad school, but on the flip side most people don't get 250k/yr raises at the end of 4 years either.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3 of my in laws are doctors and they complain about this constantly. "I had to do 4 years residency where I get paid NOTHING!" Except they made like 60-65k which is more than most fresh out of school people make. Granted, the MD's went to 4 years of grad school, but on the flip side most people don't get 250k/yr raises at the end of 4 years either.
It's 50k in residency, while obviously not being bad is pretty bad on hourly basis when you are working 80 hrs a week. Derm is probably the only residency you can come out at 300k with four years of residency. Everything else that is going to start at 300k+ is going to require 5-7 years of residency/fellowship on top four years of medical school.

Really the biggest upside is that it is pretty much impossible to come out of residency and not make $100k.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
It's 50k in residency, while obviously not being bad is pretty bad on hourly basis when you are working 80 hrs a week. Derm is probably the only residency you can come out at 300k with four years of residency. Everything else that is going to start at 300k+ is going to require 5-7 years of residency/fellowship on top four years of medical school.

Really the biggest upside is that it is pretty much impossible to come out of residency and not make $100k.
A> None of them worked anything close to 80 hours a week. 50, sure. They had some long days and some call. They also had 2 week vacations, study days (sit at home and watch TV) and other bullshit.

B> One of them is a pathologist, he finished his residency this year and is doing Hematology/Pathology fellowship (1 yr) and has a job already offered back at his residency hospital for 270k/yr. Other is an anesthesiologist, he makes a lot. I'm not sure exactly how much but he has been buying up condos in Houston this year like hotcakes, he wants to be a slumlord "to make income passively" etc. When he first graduated he did contract work in Dallas and made 35k/month. Dunno. Other one is a radiologist, LOL yea he's going to be poor.

C> Every doctor I know is relatively wealthy, and I know a lot of them. Not all of them are models & bottles wealthy like Derms and Radiologists, but come on. $100k? Don't tell us bullshit here.

D> Different residencies pay different, I just asked my radiologist in law and he got 61k in MA. He also moonlights and makes $150/hr 6-7 hours a week. I guess he "fits that in" around his 80/hr work weeks which in actuality are only 9 hours a day M-F.

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A) Must have been nice for them. My wife had to have me count her duty hours and then fix them. If she reported over 80 she would have to go in and sign something that the program didn't force her to work more than 80. So lying was easier.

b/c) Well when you know doctors that do mostly procedures, they'll do well because that's what pays well. Family practice/peds start in the low $100s, and will stay low if you have to see Medicare/Medicaid patients.

It's still the best profession you can go into and not fail.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
This got sent to me. Rather interesting point.
Hullabaloo

You see, up until Obamacare, the truly wealthy in our society, that passive income crowd that dodged the top tax bracket by getting their compensation in capital gains and such, was EXEMPTED from the Medicare portion of FICA.

This tax (2.9%) went up .9% for incomes over 250k under PPACA. .9%'s not that bad, of course, but for those living on passive income, the hit is much larger.

Until now, this law, they were exempt from that tax.

Now they're not.

Take a guy like Romney - he makes $20,000,000 a year, most if not all of it in the form of passive income. So he was paying at the 15% rate, thanks to the special treatment for such "special" income.

That went up to 20% when parts of hte Bush tax cuts expired in 2012.

And now, to add insult to that injury, Romney's income is subjected to that dastardly Medicare tax (which, unlike the Social Security portion of FICA, doesn't cut off at $106,000, or $133,000, or whatever it is this year).

3.8% of $20,000,000 is $760,000 dollars in taxes. That has to sting that generational wealth plan Romney was hatching.

Imagine the hit the Kochs and the hedge fund guys are taking. The 25 top hedge fund guys in 2009 averaged $1Billion each...3.8% of a billion? Get your calculators out: mine says that means about $38,000,000 in new taxes for these guys.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I thought Republicans were all in favor of closing loopholes.

Oh, they just mean the ones that benefit everyone else?

Merlin_sl

shitlord
avmath_sl said:
Heathcare plan is a great thing to have for yourself. The Institute of Medicine, part of the National Academy of the Sciences, has launched a report damning the American medical industry. The IOM blasts the titanic quantity of waste and fraud, asmedical wasteis accounting for $750 billion being added to the annual healthcare bill for the country.
Yea, thank god the government is in charge now. Because we all know, there is no waste and fraud in government run programs! I feel so much better.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
'closing loopholes' is a fucking inside joke for politicians. When they say it, they are making fun of someone. Probably you and me.