Health Care Thread

Northerner

N00b
The infographic is a misrepresentation borrowed from an article that frankly just wouldn't know what a line of code is anyhow. Not that number of lines is a meaningful metric anyhow nor is a project like that exactly easily defined in terms of size of the codebase.

Now, is a government project of that scope easily fixed? Fuck no. The problem isn't a mythical half billion lines of code though and it is insulting that they play that off on people that don't know a damned thing about it. I bet you could redo the whole thing claiming 500 billion lines of code and the intended audience would be no wiser and would nod along happily.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
This is why I dont care much about the website nonsense. Beyond the fact that it was almost inevitable that they fucked it up, and how it might impact the suckers... young healthy people... signing up to pay for others. I dont think I mind that my rates are going to go "through the roof", it's more a fact of everyone pushing this thing pretending it was going to reign in costs somehow:

Obamacare headaches: More than the website - POLITICO.com Print View

President Barack Obama has said it again and again: Obamacare is more than just a website. And he's right - the Affordable Care Act's benefits aren't limited to healthcare.gov.

Neither are its hangups.

Consumers are suffering from sticker shock; a major cross-section of previously insured Americans are finding out that their plans are changing to conform with Obamacare even though the president promised they wouldn't; evidence of customer satisfaction is anecdotal; andthere's still no guarantee that the young "invincibles," who must make up 20 percent to 30 percent of the pool to make the exchanges work, will actually enroll.

And while subsidies are available to offset the costs to lower income people, individuals making more than $46,000 or a family of four bringing home $94,000, bear the full brunt of the new prices. The big reveal has shocked some consumers, especially the healthy ones who had relatively affordable insurance before and make too much money to get subsidized coverage next year.

"There's been a whole lot of emphasis on what's going on with the website, but there's been a lot less on the people who aren't going to get subsides," said Jennifer Beason, an insurance broker in the Atlanta area."Their rates are going through the roof."

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Affordable "insurance" they mean - its apples and oranges between a shit policy and a decent one.

And on 'invincibles' for being such isn't it strange the 20-35 demographic is the one that defaults on hospital bills and run to the ER for treatment most often?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
None of which was ever in the sales pitch for some reason. It was sold on reducing costs and "you can keep your plan if you like it". Now suddenly you wake up and find out it's a shit plan because it might not cover mental health or some other additions a person might not want. By the way you're also paying more to cover everyone else, thanks. Did we not mention that?

Some in the administration are still denying the ACA is what is driving this

rrr_img_48053.png

Vaclav

Insurance companies are choosing to remove plans rather than update them to comply - that's like saying a tax credit per child forces you to have kids...

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
For the MD exchange right now the 39 yr old single men's plan I'm looking at right this second has a line for maternity/paternity leave and it says 'None'

Perhaps men's family plans do a ton of the Fed rollout site seemed to be family plan focused rather than distinguishing between categories.
That's good to know, here's where I'm getting my information:
http://www.uhc.com/live/uhc_com/Asse...s_Overview.pdf
The Essential Health Benefits package encompasses these 10 benefit categories:
} Ambulatory patient services
} Emergency services
} Hospitalization
} Laboratory services
} Maternity and newborn care
} Mental health and substance abuse services, including behavioral
health treatment
} Prescription drugs
} Rehabilitative and habilitate services and devices
} Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
} Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
What I just caught now is:
The following plans are not required to add Essential
Health Benefits:
} Large Group fully insured
} Self-funded (ASO) plans
} Grandfathered plan
Assuming that there's no funny business with 'Grandfathered plans' then yeah, the above quotes are right in that ACA is changing or cancelling any plans in order to cover the above things.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
None of which was ever in the sales pitch for some reason. It was sold on reducing costs and "you can keep your plan if you like it". Now suddenly you wake up and find out it's a shit plan because it might not cover mental health or some other additions a person might not want. By the way you're also paying more to cover everyone else, thanks. Did we not mention that?
See the above post/quote, unless I'm wrong grandfathered plans (and some others) don't need that garbage.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
re:grandfathered:Obama admin. knew millions could not keep their health insurance - Investigations

None of this should come as a shock to the Obama administration. The law states that policies in effect as of March 23, 2010 will be "grandfathered," meaning consumers can keep those policies even though they don't meet requirements of the new health care law. But the Department of Health and Human Services then wrote regulations that narrowed that provision, by saying that if any part of a policy was significantly changed since that date -- the deductible, co-pay, or benefits, for example -- the policy would not be grandfathered.

Buried in Obamacare regulations from July 2010 is an estimate that because of normal turnover in the individual insurance market, "40 to 67 percent" of customers will not be able to keep their policy. And because many policies will have been changed since the key date, "the percentage of individual market policies losing grandfather status in a given year exceeds the 40 to 67 percent range."

That means the administration knew that more than 40 to 67 percent of those in the individual market would not be able to keep their plans, even if they liked them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nice gotcha.

What about the
} Large Group fully insured
} Self-funded (ASO) plans

exceptions? Do they cover most plans? I don't know what either of those terms mean.

Vaclav

Which the insurance companies voluntarily did to Futz with things... Shocker they found a loophole to fuck people so they did reason #426 to go single payer and kill off the vultures.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So the plan was designed to kill all these grandfathered plans quickly. The pitch is that yeah now you will pay more, but you GET more coverage! Which, you might not need or want.

Vaclav

Not sure what an ASO is but the first in normal employer based plans. Possibly with a size limit.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Which the insurance companies voluntarily did to Futz with things... Shocker they found a loophole to fuck people so they did reason #426 to go single payer and kill off the vultures.
"But the Department of Health and Human Services then wrote regulations that narrowed that provision, by saying that if any part of a policy was significantly changed since that date -- the deductible, co-pay, or benefits, for example -- the policy would not be grandfathered."

That's a hell of a loophole. Any changes in policies that are going to need to be changed to conform to the AMA wont be grandfathered. It's absurd to try and blame companies for this. They knew it was going to happen and in fact lied about it. i assume because saying you'll pay more but get more didnt play as well as "if you like it keep it". People want the illusion of choice at the very least and hate paying more for anything. Especially if it's something they dont want or need.

Vaclav

So the plan was designed to kill all these grandfathered plans quickly. The pitch is that yeah now you will pay more, but you GET more coverage! Which, you might not need or want.
Might not need? The group that tends to ignore it the most has over 90% of their bankruptcies attributed to healthcare costs.

But nope should let people gamble with public safety that incurs costs on others - let's get rid of residential speed limits while we're at it kids can learn to dodge cars - dumb fucking kids.

Vaclav

I agree its a stupid loophole, bet it was slipped in by someone quietly as a small addenda that most missed. But it puts the onus of blame on those that enacted things to force it, not those that formed the idea.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Might not need? The group that tends to ignore it the most has over 90% of their bankruptcies attributed to healthcare costs.

But nope should let people gamble with public safety that incurs costs on others - let's get rid of residential speed limits while we're at it kids can learn to dodge cars - dumb fucking kids.
It seems like every other post you make about this has some retarded metaphorical argument jammed in there like a porcupine up a badger's ass.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
"But the Department of Health and Human Services then wrote regulations that narrowed that provision, by saying that if any part of a policy was significantly changed since that date -- the deductible, co-pay, or benefits, for example -- the policy would not be grandfathered."

That's a hell of a loophole.
It would be a hell of a loophole ..... if it were actually true. There are allowances for changing all of those and retaining grandfather status.Hereis a good explanation of the things that can and cannot be done under grandfathering.