Health Care Thread

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
The Democratic warcry, "MONEY IS NO OBJECT. WE NEED MORE ENTITLEMENTS" Conservatives, "look at Detriot"........$1.8 trillion dollars you fuckers can't even get Obamacare to work. So wheres the motivation for single-payer? Jesus christ........
How many times do you have to be told that single-payer costs less.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This isn't true. It's been illegal for employers offering health insurance to charge their female employees more than men (and vice versa) to participate in their group plans since the 70's. The ACA now makes the same true for individual plans sold by the insurance companies themselves.

Women ultimately pay more than men in the end however because they tend to utilize medical services more frequently than men do.
Really? Wonder why its asked on the ACA estimator then... Bad assumption on my part I guess - I know employer based ate it though.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We were told at work yesterday that our premiums are going this year down after 3 years of increases.

thanks Obama!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are those people ordering a plan or it being finalized? If you're talking about it being finalized - its not surprising only a few people would be 'enrolled' yet underwriting and finalizing the policy takes time.

Enrollment unfortunately is a very wide term that is not clarified in any of the articles I've seen on the topic, with tons of people assuming it means applications filed not finalized policies when it could be either. (And finalizing my policies for my company was a 2 month or so process every year... From day one of sending in my request for coverage for the location to getting the data back to send to upper management and payroll - not sure how tineframes on exchange policies should compare to a 400 employee package though)

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Another factor to take into account is providers. Personally I have no doctor that I care if I can see or not, but I do like my kids pediatric practice very much and I know my wife likes her doctors so it would be an issue if we were not covered by them.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news...t-of-obamacare

Americans who sign up for Obamacare will be getting a big surprise if they expect to access premium health care that may have been previously covered under their personal policies. Most of the top hospitals will accept insurance from just one or two companies operating under Obamacare?

Regulations driven by the Obama White House have indeed made insurance more affordable ? if, like Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, you?re looking only at price. But responding to Obamacare caps on premiums, many insurers will, in turn, simply offer top-tier doctors and hospitals far less cash for services rendered?

?Many companies have selectively entered the exchanges because they are concerned that (the exchanges) will be dominated by risky, high-using populations who wanted insurance (before Obamacare) and couldn?t afford it,? said Wilsensky, who is also on the board of directors of UnitedHealth. ?They are pressed to narrow their networks to stay within the premiums.?

Search Tools Wanting on Many Exchanges - NYTimes.com

Mr. Wheeler, an independent sales representative with a neuromuscular disorder, had succeeded where many in other states had failed, getting through a thicket of log-in pages. But when he tried to find out whether two health plans he liked would pay for his medications or let him keep his current doctors, he could not.

He called one doctor on the spot, but the receptionist could not tell him whether the practice was in the new plan networks. Nor could Mr. Wheeler, 61, get quick answers from the insurers themselves. Exasperated, he put off completing his application.

Since the new health insurance exchanges opened for business on Oct. 1, millions of people who have visited the online sites have been unable to enroll because of technical problems and software glitches. But many people who are getting through the log-in process are encountering a different set of problems when they try to determine whether policies sold through the exchanges will provide the doctors, hospitals or drugs they need.
Consumers, too, will struggle with the new system. Many exchanges don?t even list the insurance companies on their web sites. Some that do, like California, don?t provide names of doctors or hospitals.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Lol, the fact that you believe that nonsense pretty much defines you as a human being.
Health expenditure, total (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Every other developed nation spends around 8-12% of GDP, almost all of them have some form of single payer (some do have private insurance schemes like the Swiss I think, but I'm not clear on the details). The US spends 18%. The US system is incredibly expensive, and provides worse health outcomes. It's a terrible, terrible fucking system.

Comparison of health spending between the US, Canada, EU, Aus, and NZ:

Health expenditure, total (% of GDP) | Data | Graph

Notice a pattern?

Merlin_sl

shitlord
How many times do you have to be told that single-payer costs less.
And we were sold Obamacare as costing $980 billion. Its already at $1.8 trillion and is expected to keep rising. Like all liberal ideas, theconcept, thetheory, states that is will cost "x". So take the number, multiply by three, and that will probably be around theactualcost.

We were told at work yesterday that our premiums are going this year down after 3 years of increases.

thanks Obama!
I have noticed the only people in the entire nation that is saving money due to Obamacare are ALL, every single person, on these boards. That has to be one in ten trillion odds. You guys should contact the media. Go play the lottery to. Thats fucking amazing!

Sebudai

Ssraeszha Raider
It's not a "theory" or a "concept." There are these things called 'other countries,' and in some of these countries they've implemented single-payer healthcare systems. This enables us to make comparisons.

Single-payer being cheaper is a fact, Merlin. Google healthcare spending by country.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Health expenditure, total (% of GDP) | Data | Table

Every other developed nation spends around 8-12% of GDP, almost all of them have some form of single payer (some do have private insurance schemes like the Swiss I think, but I'm not clear on the details). The US spends 18%. The US system is incredibly expensive, and provides worse health outcomes. It's a terrible, terrible fucking system.

Comparison of health spending between the US, Canada, EU, Aus, and NZ:

Health expenditure, total (% of GDP) | Data | Graph

Notice a pattern?
The US also spends much much more per student on education and has significantly worse outcomes than other OECD nations, yet education is almost completely government run. I'm not so much against socialized healthcare as I am hopeful there is a better solution. Or was hopeful. Socialized will be shittier for me although I grant it will be better for others. My preference was more tax free personal accounts. I like the HSA's for example, I thought that was a good start to uncouple health insurance from a job.

Healthcare in the US is the best in the world, if you can afford it. So its cost not availability.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have noticed the only people in the entire nation that is saving money due to Obamacare are ALL, every single person, on these boards. That has to be one in ten trillion odds. You guys should contact the media. Go play the lottery to. Thats fucking amazing!
Do you not believe me?