Health Care Thread

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The way to sell single payer to the country is to just copy all of the NAFTA speeches. "Sure, we're eliminating an industry and thousands of jobs, but those people who are put out of work by this measure will find more skilled, higher paying jobs - or go on to start to their own businesses employing millions!"

If they can sell that pile of bullshit why couldn't Clinton sell universal health care? Why couldn't every group or President who has tried since (google) 1915?

Because the people with money say so. In most cases, the AMA and Republicans and obviously the private health insurance industry.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
well apparently the washington state insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler said on Thursday that

he won't be allowing insurance companies to extend their old policies that didn't meet the requirements of federal health care reform.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Several states have said that already. Like Virginia. Probably something to do with costs or paperwork or making voters angry.

(it's the last one in VA)

But really, insurers are screaming that it will cause rates to go up if they have to extend old plans. Because they like money, and will say that to any change whatsoever. That's the real reason they cancelled the old plans right away instead of grandfathering them in the first fucking place. It was a great excuse to charge more money.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
So aside from "OBAMA LIED" and "I like my health plan with absolutely no details about what I like about it and why I can't find a comparable plan on the exchange" ... whats the problem?

Bunch of my friends are consultants who have been buying private insurance from Aetna and Cigna and now they're signing up on the TX exchange (federal exchange since TX refused to implement) and the plans are cheaper with lower deductibles...

What exactly is the problem, other than politics?

I get my insurance through my wife's work, and go figure... nothing is changing. Nothing is changing for like 80% of people, because if you're on medicare/medicaid or get your insurance through work, you'll continue to do so...

Why is all of this some kind of fucking apocalypse?

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
So aside from "OBAMA LIED" and "I like my health plan with absolutely no details about what I like about it and why I can't find a comparable plan on the exchange" ... whats the problem?

Bunch of my friends are consultants who have been buying private insurance from Aetna and Cigna and now they're signing up on the TX exchange (federal exchange since TX refused to implement) and the plans are cheaper with lower deductibles...

I get my insurance through my wife's work, and go figure... nothing is changing. Nothing is changing for like 80% of people, because if you're on medicare/medicaid or get your insurance through work, you'll continue to do so...

Once the government is giving all these subsidies for sick people. Lets face it, healthy people are not the ones signing up on the exchanges it'll be the people that need health care. Someone can start saying what is and is not covered within X plans and what doctors. Hope you don't go on a vacation and get in a car accident while getting wheeled into the ER with one of the doctors/nurses not on your plan because that would suck for you financially.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I just hope that everyone is finally coming around to the idea that having a centralized, not-for-profit, healthcare system is really the only intelligent choice. How many of you conservatards would rather have your taxes go up $100 a month while simultaneously never paying a monthly premium ever again as long as you live, knowing that no matter what happens, you can never, ever, go broke or bankrupt because you get sick or hit by a bus?

Sounds pretty fucking great huh?
Don't know why people keep bringing up getting hit by a bus. If you get hit by a bus (and survive) money will not be a problem for you. The bus's insurance will take care of you.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>

80% of people have group plans provided by their employers, the recent cancellations were primarily for individual plans, hence all the cancellations of individual plans. As I understand it, the mandate for ACA compliance of group plans isn't until Jan 2014. As I further understand it, most group plans are already compliant with many of the ACA regulations EXCEPT the deductibles are too high. This would likely mean either cancellation or lowering the deductible and raising the premium substantially come January.

Not trying to be political, but that's simply my understanding and that sounds like a pretty big deal when the other 80% of the country could be facing cancellations or premium increases. This flies in the face of the $2500 reduction premiums I heard a lot about during the elections.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Once the government is giving all these subsidies for sick people. Lets face it, healthy people are not the ones signing up on the exchanges it'll be the people that need health care. Someone can start saying what is and is not covered within X plans and what doctors. Hope you don't go on a vacation and get in a car accident while getting wheeled into the ER with one of the doctors/nurses not on your plan because that would suck for you financially.
Emergency services aren't in-network/out-of-network on any plan I've ever seen. Think about that for a second and try not to be retarded.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
And besides, you realize insurance companies do this now, and all the time, right? Decide which procedures are and aren't covered? Going to the doctor is the easy part, getting your treatment approved by your insurance takes twice as long.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
80% of people have group plans provided by their employers, the recent cancellations were primarily for individual plans, hence all the cancellations of individual plans. As I understand it, the mandate for ACA compliance of group plans isn't until Jan 2014. As I further understand it, most group plans are already compliant with many of the ACA regulations EXCEPT the deductibles are too high. This would likely mean either cancellation or lowering the deductible and raising the premium substantially come January.

Not trying to be political, but that's simply my understanding and that sounds like a pretty big deal when the other 80% of the country could be facing cancellations or premium increases. This flies in the face of the $2500 reduction premiums I heard a lot about during the elections.
I don't know which group plans you're referring to but my wife's employer pays like $1700/mo for our insurance which has like a $1200/person $2500/family deductible, while comparable deductible plans in the exchange (here in TX) are like 1100-1200/mo.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
How do you figure that?

We're going through open enrollment right now, and the HSA is far and away the worst plan my company is offering.
It isn't all that subjective. One plan has substantially more out of pocket costs in the event of literally any incident and more limited coverage in general. That plan is worse.

Even then, OF COURSE I was referring to my situation. Who else would I be shopping for plans during an open enrollment for? Anyone in my situation, meaning anyone who has a family, would be worse off with the HSA plan my company is offering versus one of the other plans.
How do you define worse? Is it just these 2 things, or was there more? And what do you mean by more limited coverage? Please give an example.

I'm going to find out next week how my insurance is changing, but I'll use my current plan as an example. My company offers a PPO, an HD/HSA, and I think an HMO too. The coverages for all were pretty much the same in my mind because you could go anywhere and do anything you wanted, the only difference was in how much it would cost you out of pocket. I mean, there were no disclaimers like 'on this plan, we won't cover diabetes, or broken bones, etc.' I chalked that up to the fact that no matter what you chose they were all still with the same company (BCBS in my case). Were all of your plans offered from the same company? Was there an actual difference in what would be available to you, or is that statement just a reference to percentages and out of pocket expenses?

I'm going to assume it was about out of pocket expenses and move on. In my case, doing the maximum contribution into the HSA with the most expensive of the HD plans, the payroll deductions were still less than what just the premiums were for the cheapest of the traditional plans. If that math ever changes, I'll have to rethink, but as long as that's true, its a slam dunk that the HD/HSA plan is cheaper and all around better. You have to keep in mind that 100% of that scary deductible can come out of the HSA, which is not only pre tax (read: automatic discount of 30%, or whatever your tax bracket is), but is also already rolled up into your total cost for the plan. It's not even right to think of that deductible as 'out of pocket', it's really 'out of HSA'. It only comes 'out of pocket' if you spend more than you have put in. That is a risk, but it only takes a couple years to get enough stuffed into the account to cover your maximum out of pocket. If you're having major health problems, it's probably not a good time to start an HSA. If you get a major health problem the year you start your HSA, you can switch back to a regular plan the next year.

And the best part of the HSA is that, unlike flex spending, it rolls over year to year. I can theoretically will this money to my kids and as long as it's used for medical expenses, it will never be taxed. If I ever need it for something else, it's available, and I just have to pay taxes on it as if it was income.

By the way, I am relieved to see you still have an HSA option. I wasn't sure if HSAs were outlawed under the ACA. I've been seeing conflicting reports.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Okay but you realize medical expenses are generally deductible anyway (over 7.5% of AGI) so the non-taxable income part isn't terribly relevant. Unless you're talking nickel and dime doctor visits and such, and in that case, who cares?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Okay but you realize medical expenses are generally deductible anyway (over 7.5% of AGI) so the non-taxable income part isn't terribly relevant.
Uhh what? That's just not true unless you are spending an exorbitant amount of money on healthcare (it's actually 10% of AGI which is A LOT of money to spend on healthcare before it is deductble):

Can I Claim Medical Expenses on My Taxes? - TurboTax Videos

An HSA plan is obviously for nickel and dime expenses. You don't put thousands of dollars into it.
HSA Plans are perfect for covering your deductible in a high deductible plan scenario. And most of the the time when you have a high deductible plan you are going to have at least a $2000 deductible, even as a healthy, young, single person. I don't think I've ever heard someone say HSA plans are for nickel and dime expenses... I mean you can certainly use them that way but you generally can't get enrolled in one unless you elect a high deductible insurance plan. FSA's are more your nickel and dime expense accounts, but even those can see a large amount of elections because healthcare can add up quick.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
So if you went to the doctor on your high deductible plan you wouldn't draw from your HSA for it?

I think we are on the same page here anyway. I was using "nickel and dime" in the sense that Cad was...money spent on medical that is under your allowed deductible. Point being, yes the money you put into an HSA is probably tax-exempt when it otherwise wouldn't be.

Khane

So if you went to the doctor on your high deductible plan you wouldn't draw from your HSA for it?
You obviously would, but categorizing it as a "nickel and dime type account" is erronius. You would use it for EVERY medical expense until you hit your deductible. Major, minor or otherwise.

Khane

I made the mistake of not reading the rest of the posts before those last two.

Where's my jump to conclusions mat?