Health Problems

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am glad that I never got any kind of high with any pain meds. That's why I always have extras lying around because I use them for a day maybe two after a surgery and then I am good with the pain from there on out and I don't get any enjoyment out of them so I don't take them.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
This will be my first day out and about. Finally off the pain meds. Those things are seriously scary, I was enjoying the high and the ability to get shit done on them, and sometimes not even taking them for pain. Sucks that now I just have to deal with actual pain, but I have an addictive personality and just cant use stuff like that. Feeling sorry for Ravvenn and the heroin junkies that just cant quit. Wondering if there will be a day when those will be off the market.

After a week without drinking I'm stopping that too.
Celebrate by posting preggo tits.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
1 week later and the top/outer side of my feet hurt pretty bad like they did on the mountain. Not sure what happened.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
What do the e docs know/have to say about gabapentin?
< Not a doc...I am familiar with this med though as: I serve people who are prescribed it for certain types of seizures (although it is usually not the only med they take for their seizure disorder, sadly enough). Additionally, my f-i-l (G's dad) takes it for two reasons - nerve/pain related. He has shingles that flare and he also has diabetic neuropathy. The gabapentin works for him (Neurontin is brand name) to help him mitigate the pain. Caution with the side effects and potential drug drug interactions.

Why- were you prescribed it for pain for your foot?

trex

Queen Bee
That too, Mrs. Gravy Mrs. Gravy . I also have GI issues that I've had as long as I can remember (diagnosed IBS and IBD) that my oldest seems to have too. I'm still feeling foot pain and lower back pain, but no GI pain. I've been on these for a week + 2 days. The problem is I started 3 other meds at the same time-- bentyl being one of them. Just saw my doctor yesterday and got another month of 300mg 3x per day. It seems like a lot.

The more I read the more I'm not sure why I was prescribed it. I'm not trying to diagnose myself with cancer from WebMD, but I'm just wondering for what others experience is with it and why they were prescribed it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I was prescribed it for lower back pain. Unconfirmed but suspected to be sciatica (tho in hindsight it was probably the first signs of my cancer spreading to my lymph system). It wrecked my memory in that I had a hard time adding memories to my long term memory. Short term memory was fine, ask me what happened five minutes ago and I'd be okay, but ask me what happened yesterday and I was at a loss.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
We treat patients with neuropathy with gabapentin. Works very, very well. It doesn't have to be just shingles, either.

trex

Queen Bee
Do you have shingles?

No. When I asked my doc about it, GP, not podiatrist, he said it's used for a lot of things, like tons and tons, and if I can't handle narcos then it's a good option. It's hard to tell if it would hurt worse without it. Taking robaxin too, for spot treatment.

And while I'm at it, anyone, or anyone's wife use Buspar/Buspirone?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
That too, Mrs. Gravy Mrs. Gravy . I also have GI issues that I've had as long as I can remember (diagnosed IBS and IBD) that my oldest seems to have too. I'm still feeling foot pain and lower back pain, but no GI pain. I've been on these for a week + 2 days. The problem is I started 3 other meds at the same time-- bentyl being one of them. Just saw my doctor yesterday and got another month of 300mg 3x per day. It seems like a lot.

The more I read the more I'm not sure why I was prescribed it. I'm not trying to diagnose myself with cancer from WebMD, but I'm just wondering for what others experience is with it and why they were prescribed it.
1. Ask your doctor why she/he prescribed it.
2. Look at the label and see if there is the indication as to why it was prescribed/or the script info that came with it from the pharmacy
3. Read Medline Plus instead of Web Md or some random blog.....and Pub Med articles.... for example look up "use of peppermint oil in treatment of IBS"
4. There are some really good medical people here (Not me - I just have a lot of experience reading MARs in my job and also my family has kept me very busy educating myself about conditions and treatments)

trex

Queen Bee
Gabapentin is on the verge of becoming a controlled substance due to people abusing it.

Any references? I'm reading the opposite, that it's not considered addictive and you don't catch a "buzz" from it. I'm hella weirded out by everything I'm reading about it.

I guess that might be my answer.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Study finds high rate of misuse of seizure and pain drug

As a prescriber who works with a large number of substance abusers, this information was an eye opener. I don't think the FDA has plans to make it a controlled substance, but I imagine they would need to consider it if evidence of abuse keeps piling up.
It's also part of a standard pain package for back pain we give at the emergency ward. Interesting.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Any references? I'm reading the opposite, that it's not considered addictive and you don't catch a "buzz" from it. I'm hella weirded out by everything I'm reading about it.

I guess that might be my answer.
Do you have peripheral neuropathy?