Health Problems

iannis

Musty Nester
I thought maybe stress fracture, but it's kinda odd that you'd get it in both feet.

Usually you favor one or the other.

Maybe you're just ambi-foot-sterous.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yea, it's what I am doing, I try to keep fiber at 35-40g a day, but the last few days I kinda slacked off and suddenly boom flare up. Thankfully it's dying down though but last 2 days have been awful. I did have a cat scan like 6 months ago and they said it was normal, no abscesses or anything, it was just inflamed.

My poop isnt even ribbons when this happens though, it's like a liquid powder.

Yeah, funny you mention "liquid powder"-- during an actual flare up I'd tell my doc that I was shitting what looked like sand, but powder is probably a more apt description. "Ribbons" would be what my poop looked like outside a flare up though, and it was only once poop looked normal again that the constant "not empty" feeling that I'd have even outside a flare up went away.

One thing I can recommend is replacing fiber with Miralax. Fiber adds bulk and imho bigger turds made things worse, at least for me.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I've got to start chemotherapy back up. More intense regimen this time with harsher drugs, so it's going to be inpatient this time around. Starting Monday I will be in the hospital for 5 days straight.

One of the three drugs I'm getting, ifofsamide, causes inebriation and can cause internal bleeding of the bladder wall if you don't get a secondary drug, mesna, along with it every 4-8 hours. So inpatient is the only thing that makes sense.

Definitely not looking forward to it. Should be four cycles again... 5 days on then 16 days off, and repeat.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Man I'm sorry to hear that. One of my chemo treatments was 7 days in the hospital once a month. It was very difficult. Best of luck Pharm. Not gonna lie if I had to do that again I'd be high as fuck every day during that treatment.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Should have done it ages ago, but I just applied for my medical card after getting the news. The bureaucracy won't have my application processed for a few weeks tho. Working on finding a friend with their card to at least hook me up with edibles for this first cycle. Going full on Rick Simpson Oil when I can.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Sorry to read this Pharmakos. I hope that the docs will be able to order good meds and maybe a hot massage therapist to help you manage your side effects and discomfort.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Chemo sucks.

They switched me to outpatient at least, but I think just because they didn't want to pay for a bed for me. I've got this mesna drug hooked up to a pump, hooked up to my PICC line here at home. Pain in the ass to sleep with.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well, generally, the less time you spend in the hospital the healthier you'll be.

And they might not have wanted to pay for the bed. But at least you know there's no cooties in your own bed that you didn't put there yourself.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Went to the ER with a fever of 103 and extreme pain in the lower abdomen on the right side. Was recommended I go back to my neurologist.

At this point I could go with half my arm cut off by a chainsaw and they would say go to a neurologist it's either ADEM or MS.

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
So, just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone might have some insight:
I am 34 years old, 5'8", 230lbs. My BP is normally Hypertensive, resting 130/80 to active 150/80 with heart rate of 60-80.

Since yesterday, I have had a dull ache in my chest that comes and goes. No sharp pains anywhere, no numbness or any other symptoms.
I checked my BP a few times and was towards the higher numbers most of the night. Took an Advil with dinner, thinking I was just a sore, which helped some.

This morning, woke up still with the aching. Checked my BP throughout the morning and it went high (150/90 with beat of 100 ). Went to a Walk-In clinic. They did an EKG, which showed heart running fine. Stethoscope exam by nurse was fine for both lungs and heart. They took blood sample and checked for indicators of clots and for the enzyme which occurs during heart attacks and everything came back clean.

Only thing they could see was heart rate was up. The nurse of course specified that a hospital would check me every few hours to ensure I was not having a heart attack, but I couldn't see why it was worth it since I had symptoms for more than 24 hours; if i was having an attack, there would be signs by now.

I am going to follow up with my Primary tommorow, to see what they think. At this point, I think I'm stressing myself out (Which is possible, but my family has history for High Blood Pressure and my father has had a heart attack).

I did injure my shoulder a few months back, so i wondered if the muscles were just sore from work. The only other things I thought of, from reading up online, would be Angina?

This was a bit rambling, but if anyone has any thoughts or maybe had this happen to them, any info would be appreciated.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What's the surgery like for ingrown toenails? Is it just a day procedure?

What's recovery time?

I got one real bad on one foot. I know it's pretty normal but now I have a large flap of skin going over the side of the nail because it's gotten so bad. Wanted start running but can't due to it.

Also are these surgeries worth It? What's the chance of it coming back?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
So, just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone might have some insight:
I am 34 years old, 5'8", 230lbs. My BP is normally Hypertensive, resting 130/80 to active 150/80 with heart rate of 60-80.

Since yesterday, I have had a dull ache in my chest that comes and goes. No sharp pains anywhere, no numbness or any other symptoms.
I checked my BP a few times and was towards the higher numbers most of the night. Took an Advil with dinner, thinking I was just a sore, which helped some.

This morning, woke up still with the aching. Checked my BP throughout the morning and it went high (150/90 with beat of 100 ). Went to a Walk-In clinic. They did an EKG, which showed heart running fine. Stethoscope exam by nurse was fine for both lungs and heart. They took blood sample and checked for indicators of clots and for the enzyme which occurs during heart attacks and everything came back clean.

Only thing they could see was heart rate was up. The nurse of course specified that a hospital would check me every few hours to ensure I was not having a heart attack, but I couldn't see why it was worth it since I had symptoms for more than 24 hours; if i was having an attack, there would be signs by now.

I am going to follow up with my Primary tommorow, to see what they think. At this point, I think I'm stressing myself out (Which is possible, but my family has history for High Blood Pressure and my father has had a heart attack).

I did injure my shoulder a few months back, so i wondered if the muscles were just sore from work. The only other things I thought of, from reading up online, would be Angina?

This was a bit rambling, but if anyone has any thoughts or maybe had this happen to them, any info would be appreciated.

Sounds like stress to me man. make sure to go to your GP and be sure, but those numbers don't seem super life threatening given the test results and stuff. if you really wanna be sure insist your GP sends you for a stress test to be sure.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
What's the surgery like for ingrown toenails? Is it just a day procedure?

What's recovery time?

I got one real bad on one foot. I know it's pretty normal but now I have a large flap of skin going over the side of the nail because it's gotten so bad. Wanted start running but can't due to it.

Also are these surgeries worth It? What's the chance of it coming back?

Depends on severity, but I've had some really bad bad ones way in my past and went to a really good podiatrist here in Austin. It took about 30 minutes. He injects numbing shit into your toe, tests it by poking it (you shouldn't feel anything) and then just cuts it outta there. Wrap up in a bandage, and then go home.

One thing I have done (and it's always prevented them from coming back) is when I cut my toenails, I avoid whenever possible cutting them on the sides, and avoid pulling nails off. Instead, I cut them normally, but I cut out a little v shape in the top-middle of the nail. I was told once that it causes the nail to grow more away from the sides, but could be bullshit. But I will say ever since I did that I never had this problem again. Could be coincidence, though.

Last edited:

iannis

Musty Nester
No, cutting a V into it would very slightly encourage the nail to arch and bend to the V as it grows.

It wouldn't be a cure or anything, but it at worst would do nothing at all and at best discourage the nail from pushing into the skin.

Getting better shoes (if your toes are pinching) and going barefoot when practical (those fuzzy, comfy, house shoes) should also help. Not a cure, but should help.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
No, cutting a V into it would very slightly encourage the nail to arch and bend to the V as it grows.

It wouldn't be a cure or anything, but it at worst would do nothing at all and at best discourage the nail from pushing into the skin.

Getting better shoes (if your toes are pinching) and going barefoot when practical (those fuzzy, comfy, house shoes) should also help. Not a cure, but should help.

actually I read awhile back that cutting a notch in the toenail would force it to grow properly because it's less resistance than growing into the skin

I go barefoot now when I can because it's the best relief.

iannis

Musty Nester
well, force is a strong word. I'd use encourage.

Your toe has a nailbed that's constantly pushing out that nail. It's basically a line of cells. But not all cells are created equal, not all lines are straight. Parts of your nailbed will grow faster than other parts. And it won't always be the same parts that grow faster. You can see that in the shape of your nails if you let them grow for a little while. But these are very small differences and the aggregate is that it works perfectly well 99% of the time.

The surgery for it. You could basically do it yourself. I would not, but you could. It's really very simple. You just have to snip it out and then shape it a little bit.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
If the toenail is significant, just go see your primary care or a podiatrist. They will cut a wedge in your toe and get the hangnail out. You do not want to go through the pain of ripping out a toenail, potentially causing an infection (which you most likely will), and may even have another hangnail later.

What did the EKG say? Normal Sinus? LVH? LBBB? RBBB? Evidence of previous infarct? A lot of times, techs will put the leads in the wrong spot. Happens all the time in the hospital. I always tell students whom I'm precepting that in an emergency, it's fine to wing it if you're in the general vicinity; otherwise you should always be as precise as possible to get the best view.

Did they give you nitroglycerin at all? If you're having chest pain (even if it may be small) that's nonstop, they should've given you 1-3 nitro tabs to dissolve.

Any history of GERD or just reflux in general?