Health Problems

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, blood in urine isn't a symptom of a hernia, I don't think. Not unless shit is going real fucking wrong.

iannis

Musty Nester
Kidney stone sounds most likely. The pain can move around, the body is strange sometimes with deep pains. If it happens again, think to take your temperature. It will most likely be slightly high (1 - 3 F).

As far as how to discourage them. Less soda, more water, less salt. Improving your cardiovascular fitness may also help if you're getting a little bit tubby. If you're not staying well hydrated then start. Your pee should be clear, not yellow or brown. If you are sitting down or laying down for extended periods of time during the normal course of your day, break those periods up with 5-10 minutes of getting up and walking around if possible. Small things, mostly.

But, unfortunately, some people are just prone to get them. You might be one.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Kidney stone pain doesn't start very slowly (usually). The first story sounds more like a hernia, but that is usually accompanied by abdominal muscle excercise. The next day story sounds like a kidney stone, even if CT/X-ray were negative, blood in the urine is common side effect of a stone, but there are a couple of different tests to differentiate it further, like if the blood cells came from bleeding or had to make their way through kidneys originally.

As far as prevention goes - family history plays a big role, some people tend to get them more often. Hydration is also big. There's also the question of what do you drink - tap water in some regions has a lot of minerals, which can help their creation. If your kettle has a layer of stone in it after a week or so of use, you might try sticking to bottled water.

trex

Queen Bee
Migraine is finally gone. Thanks for all the help e-docs :(.

...and shower didn't help. Just made me vomit. Feel really bad for people who get those a lot.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Kidney stone pain doesn't start very slowly (usually). The first story sounds more like a hernia, but that is usually accompanied by abdominal muscle excercise. The next day story sounds like a kidney stone, even if CT/X-ray were negative, blood in the urine is common side effect of a stone, but there are a couple of different tests to differentiate it further, like if the blood cells came from bleeding or had to make their way through kidneys originally.

As far as prevention goes - family history plays a big role, some people tend to get them more often. Hydration is also big. There's also the question of what do you drink - tap water in some regions has a lot of minerals, which can help their creation. If your kettle has a layer of stone in it after a week or so of use, you might try sticking to bottled water.
the pain was noticeable and accelerated from 4 to 10 in 30 minutes.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
My kidney stones (had them twice from all the MRI contrast probably) went from 1 to 10 in easily 30 minutes.

I somehow got to an urgent care the first time, grabbed the clipboard to sign in and went outside and threw up in the bushes immediately. I have a high tolerance for pain and didn't notice my appendicitis and actually got better from it until it came back a month later and even then I spent 3 days riding my motorcycle to and from work. I handle pain insanely well but a kidney stone was the worst experience I have ever been in.

The second one was like an 8 so I managed to get myself to the ER that time but if it had been a 10 like before I probably would not have been ashamed to call an ambulance. While driving to that urgent care the first time I saw a cop and was a second away from honking and flashing my lights at him to get him to pull over because I was close to passing out.

Kidney stones are no joke.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Well that pretty much settles it I'd say, the pain profile is pretty distinct (and nobody can fake it). Hurts like hell, but won't kill you, however ER visit is always advised.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The big mountain climb is Sunday.

I was feeling good but lately my feet have been sore a lot. I thought it might be the betes but it could just be my shoes. Fuck my life.

iannis

Musty Nester
Good shoes matter a lot.

And you don't want to spend an entire day hiking in new boots. New boots will fuck your feet, beetus or no beetus. You need to break them in.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Mom's GI NP has suggested to her that she use a protein product to add to her food/beverages for added nutrition. Brand name is Unjury. I ordered some for her as we couldn't find it in any stores (the NP said to get the unflavored so I ordered it for her but also the sample pack that has flavors like chicken soup).
ANYWAY - it was not inexpensive; and I don't mind (I mean it is my Mom!) but if there is a similar product that I could get at Costco or something that would be great. Have any of you used protein powders - and do you have recommendations on them?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Mom's GI NP has suggested to her that she use a protein product to add to her food/beverages for added nutrition. Brand name is Unjury. I ordered some for her as we couldn't find it in any stores (the NP said to get the unflavored so I ordered it for her but also the sample pack that has flavors like chicken soup).
ANYWAY - it was not inexpensive; and I don't mind (I mean it is my Mom!) but if there is a similar product that I could get at Costco or something that would be great. Have any of you used protein powders - and do you have recommendations on them?
I did not use them but look into whether insurance will cover some of the cost or if the hospital will prescribe it or things like that.

Go to their website and see if they give coupons for people in your situation.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I did not use them but look into whether insurance will cover some of the cost or if the hospital will prescribe it or things like that.

Go to their website and see if they give coupons for people in your situation.
Thank you for your suggestions, I appreciate the time you took to reply.
I ordered directly from the Unjury company. Mom has Medicare and a Medigap plan, it covers a lot but they consider this OTC.
I was trying to figure out if there was a similar product ingredient/properties. Thought about posting in one of the "exercise" threads since it seems like protein shakes are often referenced in those.
Do we have any Nutritionists here?

trex

Queen Bee
Mrs. Gravy Mrs. Gravy is there a reason it needs to be a powder that's added to her food? Carnation breakfast or ensure seems like it'd be easier. The carnation packets are so cheap, and if added to whole milk that'd be a lot of protein.

That sucks that Medicare is saying this is not covered and OTC. Seems like the people who are on Medicare are the ones who would need help paying for OTC meds the most.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
OTC medications can still be prescribed by a provider to make it covered by the insurance. Most providers are just too fucking lazy to prescribe OTC medications, lol.

• 1Like