Hell or High Water: neo-western from the writer of Sicario

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Is that Chris Pines normal accent? he used it here and in Smoking Aces, then again he was playing a cowboy in one and an inbred in the other.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I really enjoyed this as well. Not movie of the year, but really good.

I had no idea Chris Pine was in it, but at the very beginning of the movie I saw him first with a ski mask on, and I said, "Hey, that's Chris Pine!" Something distinctive about his eyes I guess (other than being dreamy). Good thing he won't have to resort to robbing banks IRL anytime soon.

Curious, what movies would you put over it this year?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Curious, what movies would you put over it this year?
Well looking back I realize there aren't too many contenders now that I actually think about it. However, I'd have to answer it two ways. If we're going off of MY personal enjoyment and how many times I am likely to rewatch it, Deadpool and Civil War hands down win for the year.

If you're talking "Academy Award"-type movie of the year, I enjoyed The Nice Guys more. There is no question Hell or High Water is a phenomenal movie, and I enjoyed it immensely, but I felt The Nice Guys evoked more emotion from me. And, not that it matters in this type of ranking, I'd definitely watch TNG many more times over the years.

I mean, it is arguable that this might be #2 for me in that ranking, as I can't think of any significantly better, so perhaps my "not movie of the year" statement was a little more final than it needed to be. I feel like I'm forgetting something else that was this good this year though, but for the life of me I can't remember anything.

EDIT: For some reason I kept calling it The Good Guys. I've got the bad memory disease.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only solid movies for me so far this year besides Hell or high water. Still need to see Arrival, Dr Strange, Hacksaw,

The Nice Guys
Deadpool
Civil War
Kubo
Jungle book
Everybody wants some
The Lobster

Last edited:

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
The only solid movies for me so far this year besides Hell or high water. Still need to see Arrival, Dr Strange, Hacksaw,

The Nice Guys
Deadpool
Civil War
Kubo
Jungle book
Everybody wants some
The Lobster

haha your list is mine exactly minus jungle book, lobster and nice guys due to not having seen them yet.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
I've said it before, it's been a borderline bad year for movies, and while I can immediately rattle off a Top 4 of Cap / Deadpool / Nice Guys / Hell of High Water, I can't even come up with a #5 that doesn't make me immediately go "Wait, seriously?"

Now that this thread has turned into 'Movies we should have seen', it sounds like my personal to do list is Kubo/Keanu/Arrival/Popstar/Lobster/Swiss Army Man/Midnight Special.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've said it before, it's been a borderline bad year for movies, and while I can immediately rattle off a Top 4 of Cap / Deadpool / Nice Guys / Hell of High Water, I can't even come up with a #5 that doesn't make me immediately go "Wait, seriously?"

Now that this thread has turned into 'Movies we should have seen', it sounds like my personal to do list is Kubo/Keanu/Arrival/Popstar/Lobster/Swiss Army Man/Midnight Special.

Keanu was a big let down, Popstar is funny but not for everyone, If you liked Macgruber you would probably love Popstar. Lobster is a very slow movie also

Szlia

For reference, the best film of the year so far is, by a significant margin, Sieranevada (not sure if it was shown in the US outside of the Chicago International Film Festival).

Honorable mentions: Chevalier, The Final Master and for blockbusters Amasal/Assassination. Guilty pleasure: Baahubali: The Beginning

Still have to see this Hell or High Water though....

Last edited:

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Best movies that normies watch, not pretentious foreign movies snobs.

Also pro tip for everyone else, if a person is calling a movie a film, then they are likely a movie snob.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
For reference, the best film of the year so far is, by a significant margin, Sieranevada (not sure if it was shown in the US outside of the Chicago International Film Festival).

Honorable mentions: Chevalier, The Final Master and for blockbusters Amasal/Assassination. Guilty pleasure: Baahubali: The Beginning

Still have to see this Hell or High Water though....

You'll hate it, call it derivative, not understand why we like it, and quote 12 movies that were shown 4.5 times at scattered film festivals across Cambodia and Marseilles that were better. And I'll scour IPTorrents only to find 2 of them, 1 of which is in the original language with Sanskrit subtitles, but will enjoy it and recommend it to a friend.

That's why I can't quit you.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Easily the best thing I've seen all year, goddamn. Sorry I missed this in theaters.

Can Jeff Bridges please just keep making cowboy movies until he dies?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
fucking well done also the music not sure how you classified this music i know country but what kind of country is it western? such a thing as western?
Really fucking enjoyed this movie and the soundtrack was perfect.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
fucking well done also the music not sure how you classified this music i know country but what kind of country is it western? such a thing as western?
Really fucking enjoyed this movie and the soundtrack was perfect.

If you aren't at all familiar with Nick Cave or Warren Ellis you can check out their individual work. They've collaborated on a ton of soundtracks, The Road, Lawless, and The Assassination of Jesse James, recently.

The 'solo' stuff won't be exactly similar to this but you can hear the influences. The more recent Nick Cave stuff like Push the Sky Away. Leonard Cohen, who just died, has a related sound. Probably they're mostly associated with 'post rock' whatever that means. Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, Grinderman, probably some of my favorite stuff out there.

Oh forgot to look up the soundtrack, but apparently there's other artists appeared: Waylon Jennings and Townes Van Zandt, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Chris Stapleton, Scott H. Biram, Colter Wall

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Easily the best thing I've seen all year, goddamn. Sorry I missed this in theaters.

Can Jeff Bridges please just keep making cowboy movies until he dies?

Dammit, Ronne! I posted opening weekend that this was a can't miss movie! You know I wouldn't steer you wrong!

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I was watching this is a theater and some asshole pulled a fire alarm. I never got to finish the movie, but damn was it good up to that point.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user