Home buying thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Depends. If its in a subdivion cracker jack box then yeah theres not much street space. In older neighborhoods though like the one im buying in it would make me go wtf is this guy doing? Most houses here have more than enough space for 3 cars in the street in front of them on top of the usual 2 car garage+driveway. So there shouldnt really be a reason for your neighbor to be parking in front of your house.
I wasn't even talking about a neighbor, but someone just visiting the neighborhood. Some people honestly think that they have a monopoly or sole use of the curb space in front of their house.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have the opportunity to buy a block of six townhouses. Nice ones, very near the university. I could rent them for home game weekends for 3,000$ per weekend six times a year, which would cover most of the mortgage I would have to take out. I can also arrange with the university to have a contract that they would lease them for visiting professors who would vacate for home football games at least. They don't need renovation, and I'm able to get a pretty good deal.

Here's the question - do I want to become a landlord? It would turn out pretty decent money, especially in the long run, but I hate the idea of adding the upkeep responsibilities for six more houses.

Thoughts?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Renting them out with the sole intention of drunk assholes staying in them sounds dicey

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It depends on how much money you have and how much you stand to make.
I can do about a 55% down and schedule to pay it off in 6 years. It's in a brand newly renovated section of the city that is entirely for this type of development. In addition to the down payment there would be about 18K$ to do in fencing, railings, steps, and other such shit. It's doable without stretching too much.

Renting them out with the sole intention of drunk assholes staying in them sounds dicey
Yeah, but you can be selective, and there's specific insurance one can get here for just such a rental property.

I'm on the fence.

Tenks

I assume if you're just "renting" it for the weekend you'd also need to run a maid service through it every time. Although I thought you lived in rural America it seems odd that you could rent out 6 townhomes at 3k a pop per weekend every home game. That just seems really expensive for most people.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I am Canadian, but this is americana currencia. Notre Dame has rich alumni, and they pay premium to rent for home games if you're in walking distance of the stadium.

I could do a maid service, or I could clean myself. Details like this are why I'm not pulling the trigger.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I could also see people renting in a large group where $3k really isnt bad

My friend's family rents out their home on Martha's Vineyard for a few grand for a week at a time.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Ok ND makes more sense
#1 rule of being wealthy(especially old money wealth) is you gotta let people know you have it.

What did you do this weekend bob? Ohh I flew into Notre Dame and watched the game. Who started at QB bob? You mean who had the bbq?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My house deal may be in jeopardy due to idiot sellers.

Appraisal value was quite a bit lower than their listing price. Which I was totally cool with paying. Seems to be the sellers have already spent the money they thought would get and are now demanding the difference and don't seem willing to come down. FML.

Which I don't get because they absolutely must move to their new house on March 26 sale or no sale. So we'll see what happens.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Does TX real estate law dictate that they must disclose the appraised value now that one has been done? That's the way it works here so it would make even less sense for them to try to sink the sale unless they got another buyer calling in and begging for it or something.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I do not believe they have another buyer calling and begging for it in the area I am buying. Downtown Austin would be a different story. Any buyer they get will do the same thing as I do. Which is to go by Appraisal value.

I do know the appraisal value. I do not think they have to disclose that to the public though. Appraisals happen for every sale as far as I know. Even if one happened the month before or whatever.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I do know the appraisal value. I do not think they have to disclose that to the public though. Appraisals happen for every sale as far as I know. Even if one happened the month before or whatever.
Yes they do, and here in CT they have to be disclosed once they are done to any potential buyer, which is why I was asking because if there are similar laws in TX it makes even less sense for them to try to strong arm you.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
If it's a seller's market (and Austin is) then they are probably betting on another buyer covering the difference with cash out of pocket. Happens here a lot (North Dallas).

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
While I would agree with you if this was Hyde Park. The sales values in this area do not reflect that as much (Pflugerville). The seller is now, "freaking out and will stop the deal if he doesn't get the appraisal value immediately." Or so I am told. But my bank won't get it to them until Thursday so I said they can just hold their horses.

I know for an absolute fact that the seller is:

1.) Moving to a new house on 26MAR, possibly contingent on the sale of this one somehow but sale or not he's moving I am pretty sure.
2.) Just bought a brand new car for some reason.
3.) Wife is knocked up.

Everything here indicates to me that the dude cannot afford to not sell as he will at the very least have to wait another month or more to close another deal.

House was built in 2010 for $155k and being sold today at $195k (pending appraisal). I think it will appraise for 175-185 or so. But I will absolutely not front up $20k in difference or something because the house didn't even appreciate that much in 5 years the dude owned it. I have no problem staying in my apartment a few more months.

Tenks

Can someone help me with closing costs? I didn't take enough notes when I purchased my first house but generally the buyer has to pay the realtor commission generally via closing costs which is ~6% the sale price?