Home buying thread

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yes, there are underwriters, title search companies, attorneys, etc etc etc. The loan officer is in charge of managing all that shit for you, it's why you're paying them, and they are the ones who delayed shit by losing my documents, asking me to re-submit, waiting until the 11th hour etc etc etc.

They are the worst project managers on planet earth.

You don't seem to understand that it doesn't matter who's responsible behind the scenes, they are the front facing company. The company we as home buyers are dealing with. They are responsible for managing the process and getting us this shit on time. Like every other goddamn project manager in every other industry. And instead of being transparent and actually answering the phone, they dodge or are constantly out and never get back to us. Not sure why you think that's A-OK.

Especially since you literally cannot get a mortgage if you try to manage that stuff on your own. Let me deal with all that shit and I assure you I'll hit my closing date. And that's what Elurin and Corndog are having to try to do, because the person who is supposed to be doing it, isn't.
The loan officer/mortgage broker only manages the financial aspects. Everything after that is out of his hands. Appraisers do not work for the loan officer. Underwriters do not work for the loan officer. Title companies do not work for the loan officer. Escrow companies do not work for the loan officer. Everyone is separate, its not one big company handling everything. If one piece of this chain fucks up and you go and bitch and yell at someone totally unrelated to the fuck up, someone who did absolutely nothing to cause the fuck up, that someone will respond in kind. No one wants to help the assholes yelling at them for something that was not the persons fault.

I pay them fees for their services, ergo if they want my money, they can provide the services that were agreed in the manner and time frame they were agreed upon. It's really just that simple. Do you think anyone would waste their time if the process went well harassing middlemen? It's because you HAVE TO DO THE JOBS of everyone involved (that you still pay for) to actually complete the process.
You did not enter any agreement for services with the escrow company. And even if you did, i assure you the "time frame" portion of the agreement would have "reasonable" attached to it. The escrow company waits for the bank to send them the documents and money. Until the bank does so, there is nothing that the company can do. And the moment the bank does send whats required, there is no one there sitting and waiting for it. The company has other files to get through and they are done in a first come, first serve manner. Showing up and demanding every other thing be dropped so you can be serviced only wastes people's time and accomplishes nothing since your file will still sit where it belongs in the queue.

But do go on proving how little all of you understand about the process. And do go on showing that your lack understanding somehow gives you the right to abuse people who have nothing to do with your issues. Do stop being surprised when people you are being dicks to do not want to offer you any help.

wormie what companies do you own? I don't want to give them my business.

It's mostly an empty threat, as I would never move to the shit stain of america, but I can pretend it pains you.
We dont work directly with the consumer. Our clients are mortgage brokers and loan officers and attorneys. The lawyers that work for us do have their clientele but it has nothing to do with our companies. You wouldnt be our customer and based on what you said in this thread, you wouldnt show up at our door demanding we fix something that we did not break and that we have no power to fix so I dont see why we would have issues.

tl;dr: Most of you are ignorant of, as Khane claimed, one of the most important processes in a person's life and because you are ignorant you think its ok to treat people like garbage. Well I would like to suggest that all of you go punch that kid working the McDonald counter because their food tastes like shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You are completely disconnected from reality.

It's ridiculous how sorry you feel for yourself and your colleagues.

And you still are entirely missing the point. The person we as the homebuyer have contact with is in charge of making sure all those things get sorted out. When that person won't even return your phone calls or is constantly not around we have every right to complain and raise hell. And when that person passes the buck I'm gonna follow it until I get a resolution. They deflect, dodge and outright lie about shit going on, and you seem to think that's fine and we need to stop bitching and moaning because "Well it's not my fault, there are other people involved". What shitty "customer service".

But keep pretending that we aren't paying these people money and that they're just doing this out of the kindness of their heart.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You are completely disconnected from reality.

It's ridiculous how sorry you feel for yourself and your colleagues.

And you still are entirely missing the point. The person we as the homebuyer have contact with is in charge of making sure all those things get sorted out. When that person won't even return your phone calls or is constantly not around we have every right to complain and raise hell. And when that person passes the buck I'm gonna follow it until I get a resolution. They deflect, dodge and outright lie about shit going on, and you seem to think that's fine and we need to stop bitching and moaning because "Well it's not my fault, there are other people involved". What shitty "customer service".
And you are missing the fact that if one person is being shitty to you, it does not give you the right to be shitty to another person that is unrelated to the first.

Khane

Well maybe I missed it in context but that seems like an entirely new argument you're making now. One person goes down the chain a bit to get answers and that's what your focusing on?

I thought we were talking about how terrible the entire process is, and how so many people have such rotten experiences with buying homes because you can't ever get anyone on the phone.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Well maybe I missed it in context but that seems like an entirely new argument you're making now. One person goes down the chain a bit to get answers and that's what your focusing on?

I thought we were talking about how terrible the entire process is, and how so many people have such rotten experiences with buying homes because you can't ever get anyone on the phone.
Elurin showed up at office of the escrow company because they werent working fast enough according to him. He was then surprised that people were not too thrilled to deal with someone who showed up without an appointment and someone who showed up there right when the documents from the bank were sent to the company. He then proceeded to explain to us how lazy and worthless all these people are because they cant multitask. You think if one has that sort of an attitude towards people, those people cant see it in his face when he speaks to them? These people are just going about doing their jobs and some dick bag takes out his frustration on them for something they have not done and have never had any control over to begin with. And the excuses for why this is reasonable behavior were "Well other people suck so we are mad at everyone". Well fuck that, thats not how it fucking works.

And I do not feel sorry for my colleagues and myself. I feel sorry for my clearances officers and my paralegals and my secretaries who have to deal with self important douche nozzles who treat them like garbage when they have done nothing wrong.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
As someone whos bought 5 houses in the last 5 years, let me tell you the process is shit, no question. I sure hope people understand and realize the reason the process is shit is because of the government, and not these individuals. The process sucks because of what Fannie Mae demands. Some of it makes sense, a lot of it doesn't (eg: self-employment income not being able to be counted at all unless you have 2+ years of it).

But that aside - it is true that it's very easy to have angst against people disconnected from the people youshouldbe angry at. I was infuriated by one loan I was getting for my primary residence that we had to painstakingly get into some really serious deep finance shit because at that particular time there was a lot of "money" moving around. We finally got everything done, and I made it very very clear to the broker that I wanted all this resolved because I had to go to my step mothers funeral that next Monday. Go figure, *in the middle of the fucking funeral* one of the finance peopledisconnected from my brokercalled me directly and left a message (obv not going to have my phone on during the funeral) about needing all this additional "new" information. I didn't have their information handy at the time, but I did have my broker and I flipped my shit at him and he apologized, but I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with it - it was just the person I could contact somewhere in the chain.

Probably not cool of me to do but as a buyer sometimes this process boils over emotions and you need an outlet. Sadly, brokers in this case are the punching bags. lol.

(Ended up not having to provide all this new information as I made them feel like absolute shit for disrupting me during the funeral when they knew I would be there - even the other people disconnected from my broker knew I would be away for a few days for that).

Khane

Elurin showed up at office of the escrow company because they werent working fast enough according to him. He was then surprised that people were not too thrilled to deal with someone who showed up without an appointment and someone who showed up there right when the documents from the bank were sent to the company. He then proceeded to explain to us how lazy and worthless all these people are because they cant multitask. You think if one has that sort of an attitude towards people, those people cant see it in his face when he speaks to them? These people are just going about doing their jobs and some dick bag takes out his frustration on them for something they have not done and have never had any control over to begin with. And the excuses for why this is reasonable behavior were "Well other people suck so we are mad at everyone". Well fuck that, thats not how it fucking works.

And I do not feel sorry for my colleagues and myself. I feel sorry for my clearances officers and my paralegals and my secretaries who have to deal with self important douche nozzles who treat them like garbage when they have done nothing wrong.
Well, when I read that post I don't read it as Elurin calling the escrow company, I read it as Eluring calling the loan officer asking about the escrow status. Mainly because how would he have even gotten the escrow company number? If people do call you and start complaining in an agitated tone you should take issue with the loan officers, not the pissed off customer. That's the root of the issue, they probably dragged their feet getting the paperwork to all other intended parties but then blamed you when the customer started asking questions. Elurin's entire loan process has been terrible from the stories he's told. I'd be at my wit's end too if all these delays kept occurring to me.

He isn't "self important", he's fed up. A lot of delays and lack of communication will do that to anyone.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Millions of people go through the home buying process every year without too much of a hassle. But there are always some people for whom things dont work out well. Those people have two options:

1) Throw temper tantrums and act like a total dick to everyone around you regardless of whether or not they caused the issue
2) Figure out what actually happened by educating yourself about the process and what went wrong and apply pressure where its supposed to be applied

One of these options makes you less stressed and probably makes the process go faster. The other option makes things seem a lot worse since you are stressed out and pisses off people that could potentially help you and makes those people not want to do anything extra for you. Guess which of the options above is which?

Ignorance is not an excuse for being a douche bag to people. In any industry.

Khane

I'm not sure where you get "temper-tantrum" and "acting like a douche" from him simply driving down to an office to get an answer because they literally were not answering the phone:

Loan docs were sent to escrow today. Was calling them all fucking morning and they wouldn't answer or return my calls. So I said fuck it and drove to their office (where they didn't seem pleased to see me). Apparently they're so busy(?) that they won't be able to get us in until "hopefully" tomorrow.

I'm so sick of anyone involved in this process. Real estate seems to harbor the worst kinds of people.
Answer the fucking phone like a normal business operated by decent, reasonable human beings. Elurin and customers like him aren't the douches. People like you who pretending he's out of line are.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure where you get "temper-tantrum" and "acting like a douche" from him simply driving down to an office to get an answer because they literally were not answering the phone:

Answer the fucking phone like a normal business operated by decent, reasonable human beings. Elurin and customers like him aren't the douches. People like you who pretending he's out of line are.
The documents just came in. People might not have even had time to look at them or even know they are in and they are most likely not 100% correct. Also there are other deals going on that came in before Elurin's that must be handled before his. Calling someone and saying "hi, i know nothing and cant tell you anything" is not very productive and is not done. Expecting people to drop what they are doing and attend to your every need that exact second is what makes a person a douche. Once again your lack of understand of the details is showing.

Khane

You're lack of understanding of human nature and how a business is supposed to operate (e.g., answering the phone) is the only thing showing here.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, you are right. Calling someone and telling him there is nothing to tell him would surely make that person happy. What was I thinking.
rolleyes.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Maybe not happy, but sounds like common courtesy
He is not their client and they know nothing about the case. They dont know how long it will take to finalize it. They dont know if everything is in order. They dont know how much more work they have to do to be able to answer even a basic question about the deal. If the paperwork just came in, there is literary nothing other than "Hello" that they are able to say. If the paperwork just came in, its likely no one has even opened up that email yet. Who do you expect to call when no one knows anything yet? You guys dont know shit about how any of this works, stop having opinions about it.

Khane

Yes wormie, you are correct. People in general cherish being ignored. Especially when they have a problem or a question that needs answering. You don't even realize you're exacerbating the issue. The fact that you are running a successful business with that attitude speaks volumes to how fucked the mortgage industry is.

Having someone who can answer a phone in your office is something every company needs. There is no excuse for dodging calls.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yes wormie, you are correct. People in general cherish being ignored. Especially when they have a problem or a question that needs answering. You don't even realize you're exacerbating the issue. The fact that you are running a successful business with that attitude speaks volumes to how fucked the mortgage industry is.

Having someone who can answer a phone in your office is something every company needs. There is no excuse for dodging calls.
This is not about people dodging calls. This is about someone showing up unannounced to an office which has nothing to do with any sort of delays to the deal and demanding he be serviced ASAP. This is about the attitude that people are worthless and dont know what they are doing and should all be fired because your whims are not met the second you decide to spew them out of your ignorant mouth. This is about some shit heel talking down to people trying to do their job, people who are in no way responsible for any delays. This is about common courtesy that you guys seem to demand for yourselves but are unwilling to afford to others.

Khane

All he said was he tried to call all morning and nobody ever answered and nobody returned his calls. So he went down there. He didn't say anything about demanding anything, that's you projecting.

You and I will obviously never see eye to eye on this.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
All he said was he tried to call all morning and nobody ever answered and nobody returned his calls. So he went down there. He didn't say anything about demanding anything, that's you projecting.

You and I will obviously never see eye to eye on this.
He said the documents had been sent to the escrow company that day. No one knew whats in the documents. That is why when he showed up, he was told that they will let him know the next day since it takes time to review these things. If he had just waited, someone would have let him know exactly the same thing. The escrow company does not get paid unless the deal closes so its in their interest to do so as soon as they can. But a person needs to be reasonable and give people the time to prepare instead of showing up without telling anyone anything and expecting answers. And there werent any answers to give which is exactly what he received. Also read the rest of his post, he went on a rant about how worthless the people are and how they should be fired and how multitasking is so difficult for them and blah blah blah. You think this attitude is not obvious to people when he speaks with them? These people have done nothing to deserve being treated like garbage and yet you are defending a persons right to hoist such abuse upon them.

Khane

I can't tell if you're delusional, trolling, or traumatized from a bad experience with an irate customer.