Home Improvement

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Switch will work. So might a standard router depending on how many ports you need. You just have to have all the wires terminating in the same place. The wires are dumb, they carry the signal they get. Modem can be anywhere you have the RG6 and Ethernet. Just run the Ethernet to terminate in the same area and you can connect them however you want. Modem > Router > switch > PC/TV/Console. You only need a switch if you want to hard wire more things than the router has ports for.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's actually where I'm at. I have the router and that's where the wire will run from. It's just I need to run the wire all the way to the other end of the house then branch off from there to the other 2 locations. I tried the wireless route and I just haven't had a consistent signal so I want to hard wire a tv and my desktop

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was just trying to get Eomer in here, not actually debate cutting holes in steel LOL
Sorry, was out of town and just skimming through. What specifically was being asked? I'm too lazy to go back and look. As far as I can tell from what people have posted here and elsewhere, American state plumbing codes are way the fuck more lenient than Canada's. Half the shit I see on drainage posted here is illegal as fuck in Canada.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well our codes may be not actually be that lax we just don't have time to learn them while we're leading the free world.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lol burned, eh?

The thing with network drops is cable is cheap, if you are going to run it not only leave the poly line but consider putting in a second+ cable for another port.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Does anyone have experience with wireless switches? I don't mean the gadget where you can use your phone to turn lights on and off. I was quoted for ones where you can operate the same light from two different switches. Instead of wiring both switches to the same light you install a second switch, put this wireless gadget inside that switch, and when you flip on #2 it sends a signal (battery powered apparently) to the original wired switch. I was quoted this option because running wires pass walls and the ceiling in my condo isnt easy.

Picasso3

About 120 2x4s and 800 3 inch screws in.
rrr_img_126970.jpg

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
That's actually where I'm at. I have the router and that's where the wire will run from. It's just I need to run the wire all the way to the other end of the house then branch off from there to the other 2 locations. I tried the wireless route and I just haven't had a consistent signal so I want to hard wire a tv and my desktop
A router is only to have different networks talk with each other (in your case the LAN inside your house with the provider's network). Unless you're running some crazy complicated LAN you don't need more than one router.

An extra switch will give you the extra ports you need and will act as a repeater, which can help if you're cat5 is really long. They also run cooler than routers and virtually never need to be restarted (a router is basically a small computer, it runs software, whereas switches are largely hardware based). In other words they are more reliable. They are cheaper too.

If what you were looking for was to extend a wifi then you should look at either a dedicated wireless bridge or a router acting as a wireless bridge.

tldr : get a switch. Unless you already have a spare router laying a round, in which case that will do.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I saw a think on some DiY show a while backa bout creating storage space in an unfinished attic. Basically you just lay down plywood across the joists, no big deal. They also built up small edges along the sides, not sure if I plan on doing that or not.

Are there any drawbacks to doing this in an attic with loose fill insulation in it? I've looked around and haven't seen anything, but I want to get this done because I need the storage space. Right now we have a bunch of stuff under the stairs in our basement, which is partially unfinished but I want to finish that off to give my daughters a little reading area or whatever.

I have noticed that area collects dust, like it's falling from the drywall on the ceiling underneath the stairs. I will have to figure that out because it's gross.

Picasso3

NO, IF ANYTHING IT WILL HELP BECAUSE YOU WILL CREATE AN ADDITIONAL AIR BARRIER. TAPE THE JOINTS AND ENSURE YOU DON'T INHIBIT AIR FLOW AT THE OUTER SOFFIT.

Picasso3

I talk loud when I'm drunk.

If you're crushing down the insulation it'll reduce its efficiency.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, that's the only thing to consider. If you can lay down plywood without compressing the insulation, there is literally no reason not to do it.

Picasso3

Ran 2 additional 20 amp circuits and put a 60 amp sub panel in basement for future woodworking equip. Got the 2" vent pipe in and I'll start plumbing from the top down soon (seems weird). Put together an additional work bench this evening, I'll prob run a row of outlets above it in emt.

Yes I'm using this as a journal.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
All your ladders and shit look way too new and you're losing a lot of credibility bro. Scuff that shit up, spill some paint on it, and rub some dirt on it or some shit. You probably have soft woman hands too.