Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, everyone does this... now. Everyone treats every customer like they are potentially a pain in the ass because "oof that one time". This is not the way things used to be, and the only reason it is now, is because so few young people are going into these jobs over the last ~30 years.

You're not really responding to what I wrote, I never said to do estimates for free (even though as recently as 10-15 years ago I never had to pay these stupid service visit/estimate fees). And all I hear, when techs/contractors/tradesmen say stuff like this is "I can afford to be a shithead to customers, so I will be".

The reality is, the rest of us realize that this is going to happen whenever we need work done, these days, and is only going to get worse until more young people start entering these fields. It's pure market forces at work, but its frustrating enough that I need to vent. It's bad enough that if even one company had taken the time to do that I'd be a customer for life. 5 star review and I would have told everyone I know to use that company. And none of that matters, because nobody needs that at the moment so they don't really care. They have to turn work away as it is.

I don't mind paying for diagnostics but for a quote it's retarded. Like you can't give me a rough idea to install a new kitchen faucet or add a sub panel next to the main or a price per sq foot to install new carpet? Lowe's and HD can tell me how much that is.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have never paid for a quote. That's straight up taking advantage of the fact that there's more work than there are tradespeople to do it. I talked to someone yesterday who called a local plumber and their phone went straight to voicemail where the message explained that they are booked 6 months out and are only currently doing work for repeat customers. It then suggested that you leave a message and of course the voicemail box was full.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My capacitor died - during that fiasco i made friends and became the “i.t. Guy” for them somehow… It’s good to have friends in the trades. Also good to have a place to go that will sell you any supply and part for ac stuff.

The biggest issue with swapping compressors is the soldering and then recharging of the system.

If you can sweat joint copper - know how to do a vac pump and the pressure balance tools… do basic wiring, you can put in almost any home AC unit.
Thats... what Im hoping is the cause for my home being a balmy 88 degrees right now. I thought where the condenser had gotten so caked with pollen that it just needed to be cleaned. Im sure cleaning it will have its benefits, but that was a no-go. Ive tried to stay gone all weekend just so I dont have to deal with the heat. Thank God my guy is coming tomorrow. Bro was all the way in another state and is Johnny on the spot for me.

Sorry some of you guys are having a shitty time with other tradesmen, though. I cant imagine living in an area where its so god damn crowded that you cant get help when you need it.

Siliconemelons

I only know enough to get in trouble and kinda get what goes down with my AC

The system itself is typically a fairly straight forward system.

It’s a heat exchange system.

You have a compressor, and if you have a “heat pump” system all it means is it can reverse the “flow” so the heat goes inside not outside.

You have a compressor that compresses the coolant. Then you have an expansion area “radiator” the fins and tubes - “heat sinks” - the coolant gets cold when it expands- so the compressor - compresses it down and into the “small” copper line- it goes to the radiator and the tube opens up, that causes expansion and cooling, the heat sink fins take up the cool, a fan / “blower” pushes air over all the fins, the air cools, and goes into your duct work.

The expanded, hot coolant flows out to the outside when the same process happens - copper tubes, aluminum fins and a fan- heat is expelled out to the outdoor air.

When you go heat pump, a valance flips the flow so cold is expelled outside and heat flow inside.

The air that comes out of the inside air handler, should generally be the “20 delta” meaning if your inside house air is 80 degrees, the air coming out of your air handler should be about 20 degrees cooler, so 60. Out of the vent, is going to be 2-6 less generally. Differences in these temps can lead you to find the general area of issue.

I have an instant read food the monitor poked into the area above my air handler in the main duct i can see in m garage so I monitor its delta, if its not reaching the 20ish range- then the compression is not working like it should or the air flow is constricted etc

If your at handler temp is 60 but your vent is like 70 then it can indicate a duct work issue.

Etc etc

There are many many small things within all thee things- but it gives a general flow of how things work so when someone comes in, i can generally follow their info and stuff

You also will get the “its a closed system” as far as your copper and coolant - you should not need to “recharge” in any frequency - so if your hitting your out of handler 20 delta, you should do so always even if your system can’t “keep up” with what cool temp you want… there are times the outside is just too hot. I am in Florida, summer in the late afternoon my ac just can’t do it…its technically undersized so… yeah.

Another thing is if you see your delta get way off on the cool side - you may thing “yay super cold air in my house!” But then your compressor can get frozen and seized up- as the cold in the expansion is not fully removed, and it gets back to the compressor and then gets “super compressed” and freeze and seize - this happen when your system runs and runs. For that- just turn it off and toss the hose on it to thaw it.

Just random stuff, i hope you can find a good honest place to help ya

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Been a slow project due to work week and kids, and heat... but got to put some more time in this weekend while also shopping for a new car.

Actually have everything filled back in as of yesterday afternoon, just didn't take any pictures. This was my dry fit for everything. There's the two more sections not visible going in to the catch basin, one from the east and one from the south from under driveway. Had to cut the holes in that catch myself b/c it came off Amazon and had multiple options for size of pipe, but I think it'll work out. had to level out and go deeper in a couple of spots after the test fit also.

Ended up with perforated up top, put a sock on it, and then used solid for the branches down to the Y and T that eventually go under the shop and out to the back of the house.

Oddly enough I ended up with not enough dirt after covering everything. No idea, must be some dark magic. I shoveled out more, and replaced some volume with pipe, but somehow can't cover it all, haha.

Going to pick up some bags of top soil (I guess?) to help level out the area a little better, but down my fabric, then cover with all the river rock.

1719195032283.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

I have two main drains going down my yard one on each side the the house - they still kinda flow but have been neglected for over 15 years…

They just need to be torn out and replaced… but it is a ton of digging I do not want to do. And i need to dig a pit and put in a sub pump that feeds one of the pipes because my backyard turns into “Everglades” if it rains for a few days.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
money well spent
17abd6f64b9564da915dfc69b89fcc83.png

my disposal was wonk, i turned it on and it would make the humming sound (motor on), so i goto reset it from the bottom, still nuttin, i reset the breaker, leave it alone for a day, nutting, i used a 1/4 hex to turn the blade, nutting.

so i read that sometimes you gotta turn the blade from the top... ok, thats what that is, used it and motor spins.

i know what youre thinking, stop throwing shit down your disposal, i actually don't use it really, what i'm thinking happened is that my dishwasher "suddenly" wanted to work again. my dish washer would sometimes work, i did all the door latch fixes, even replaced the circuit board, that got it to work, and it'd stop again. i figured out that the only way to get it working again was to trip the breaker for 3 days (to fully kill the memory) and it would work again. (i have no idea why theres a memory issue that it just decides to go on strike)

anyway the day it decided to work it probably just flushed all the detergent down the drain to the disposal and jammed it up, i use powder so i'm thinking the granuals got the motor stuck.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
When we remodeled our kitchen I had my disposal removed completely. Never use them , problem solved. Before someone 'akctually's 'me , the plumber added an 'air-gap' thing to the sink in case of backflow from the dishwasher.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
When we remodeled our kitchen I had my disposal removed completely. Never use them , problem solved. Before someone 'akctually's 'me , the plumber added an 'air-gap' thing to the sink in case of backflow from the dishwasher.
I'm on this same level. I honestly forget its even there most of the time.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You must not have a wife that only hears the “garbage” part of disposal and thinks it’s easier to throw literally everything in there than open the cabinet and use the actual garbage. “Yeah but it has spinny blade things that chop it all up anyways!”

Animated GIF

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I put chicken skin in mine once. Digging that back out after it had rotted in the bottom of the disposal for a week was pretty fun. Don't have one currently since I'm on a septic tank. Don't miss it much.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I put chicken skin in mine once. Digging that back out after it had rotted in the bottom of the disposal for a week was pretty fun. Don't have one currently since I'm on a septic tank. Don't miss it much.
Fun fact , you CAN have a disposal on a septic (I did ----before the remodel). It's just not recommended. I never used them even on rentals as putting garbage down the drain was just begging for clogged up pipes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Fun fact , you CAN have a disposal on a septic (I did ----before the remodel). It's just not recommended. I never used them even on rentals as putting garbage down the drain was just begging for clogged up pipes.

I'm so sick of this. If you listen to 'experts' you literally can't use a septic tank. Ohhhh wash your dishes outside. Ohhh don't clean up your paint brush. Even septic safe toilet paper isn't a good idea! Better not eat taco bell because it can throw off the balance on your tank! Don't use CLR in the tub it will kill your tank!

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I'm so sick of this. If you listen to 'experts' you literally can't use a septic tank. Ohhhh wash your dishes outside. Ohhh don't clean up your paint brush. Even septic safe toilet paper isn't a good idea! Better not eat taco bell because it can throw off the balance on your tank! Don't use CLR in the tub it will kill your tank!
Not sure where you are Palum Palum but here in SW NV the septic tank and the grey water field (not sure what it's proper name is) is massive for the house. It's no different than being on city water/sewer minus the monthly bill. House was built in 2002 , we bought it in 2014, not sure if the tank has ever been pumped out and don't really care.

Edit: think it's called a leach field.

Last edited:

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Not sure where you are Palum Palum but here in SW NV the septic tank and the grey water field (not sure what it's proper name is) is massive for the house. It's no different than being on city water/sewer minus the monthly bill. House was built in 2002 , we bought it in 2014, not sure if the tank has ever been pumped out and don't really care.

Edit: think it's called a leach field.
Yeah, leach field. We had a septic tank when I lived up in the Sierra Nevadas as a kid. I think we had someone come out once a year to give it a quick check? Or I might be remembering a time we had a specific issue. Either way, no real restrictions that I recall.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah, leach field. We had a septic tank when I lived up in the Sierra Nevadas as a kid. I think we had someone come out once a year to give it a quick check? Or I might be remembering a time we had a specific issue. Either way, no real restrictions that I recall.
Nah not like restrictions just "advice". We have a septic and Leach field as well because we're too far out of town.