Home Improvement

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Previous owners of our house obviously had some issues in the downstairs half bath with the toilet paper holder. When we repainted we pulled it off and behind it was just hole after hole in the drywall where it had been constantly pulled out and they moved it just enough to cover the old hole and “anchor” a new screw.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Previous owners of our house obviously had some issues in the downstairs half bath with the toilet paper holder. When we repainted we pulled it off and behind it was just hole after hole in the drywall where it had been constantly pulled out and they moved it just enough to cover the old hole and “anchor” a new screw.
thats still better than the freak that had my house where there were like 16 screw holes in a line trying to find the stud, actually cuz of july4th i checked on the flag mount (front door) i'm sure it was installed by him, i noticed the mount was hanging!, turns out he used machine screws, the mount was only held in b/c the screws were like 3in long heh

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
thats still better than the freak that had my house where there were like 16 screw holes in a line trying to find the stud, actually cuz of july4th i checked on the flag mount (front door) i'm sure it was installed by him, i noticed the mount was hanging!, turns out he used machine screws, the mount was only held in b/c the screws were like 3in long heh
Lol, one of the Condo's I rent out had this behind the old Range Hood. We took that off and it was just hole after hole after hole. Like you fucking retard, you could have at least knocked on the wall and got close to the stud by sound.

Decorative backboards fix a lot of the issues you guys have, or using a recessed toilet roll holder.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Lol, one of the Condo's I rent out had this behind the old Range Hood. We took that off and it was just hole after hole after hole. Like you fucking retard, you could have at least knocked on the wall and got close to the stud by sound.

Decorative backboards fix a lot of the issues you guys have, or using a recessed toilet roll holder.
heres the pic i dug up (this was all b4 i touched anything)
f81a3204647c24b735e6d37f17115689.jpg

it's not like this was hanging anything either, he left the lowes kobalt rails (which i put somewhere else, and i actually like) so i have no idea what he was doing.

• 1Wow!
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
There's no way he didn't mean to do that, I mean to basically randomly start at the closest point outside of the stud, pick the wrong direction, and continue the whole way in between. That's hilarious. To be honest I've screwed it up enough I'm finally comfortable enough to eyeball it or if I really need go grab some magnets or the actual cheapo stud finder.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There's no way he didn't mean to do that, I mean to basically randomly start at the closest point outside of the stud, pick the wrong direction, and continue the whole way in between. That's hilarious. To be honest I've screwed it up enough I'm finally comfortable enough to eyeball it or if I really need go grab some magnets or the actual cheapo stud finder.
whats scary as shit is all the screw holes above the electrical box, thats where all the wires come down to

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
I just installed a few of the Rainbird. The YouTube handyman space seems to think that the green versions from your big box store are lower quality and it's worth springing for the upgrade. Bought mine from here at a discount compared to Home Depot.

I future-proofed mine a bit by installing removable risers underneath the valves. I find the idea of having to cut back the fixed PVC line every time you replace the valve to be viscerally offensive. It was worth a couple extra bucks to satisfy my OCD.

Update: yeah I went with Rainbird valves

I also installed a Rachio smart sprinkler controller. I can program it with my phone and it even taps into weather updates to turn off if it rains

Tested and everything but a handful of heads seems to work

There was really no need to future proof: to be blunt, I did this for my grandma who’s 92

• 1Like