Home Improvement

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Definitely not the same, but I understand the sentiment. Depends on the brick, some old stuff with legit character? Also, at least with painting the brick you’ll still have the texture/pattern.

Im not a fan of carpet, get a rug if you want something soft and fuzzy.

My grandparent's house (now where my mom lives) was built in 56. THey have carpet throughout the house over great hardwoods. Which I plan on changing eventually. SOME of the brick on the outside is painted, but there's a reason. Some brick was damaged and had to be replaced and they couldn't find matching brick to what the rest of the house was.

I laughed at the meme because all the houses around this one are being painted be flippers right now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Didn't know these were a thing until this weekend, Immediately bought them for the house. Very easy to set up , and I didn't even have to change out the wiring harness nor the mounting plate for the smokies.

Screenshot 2024-08-08 175149.png

Siliconemelons

Update on the Mr.Cool split system (traditional duct house system not mini split)

So this thing works in ways that just destroy all the concepts of how AC systems work in my mind.

So you know… normally in split systems in residential homes, you have a thermostat - it actually has the diode that flip switches on, and off..

You set a temp, say… 75. It has a float point of typically 2 or 4 degrees, or, + /- 1 or 2 degrees… so,,,

With a 4 degree float It would sense the indoor air is 77 degrees and kick on the inside unit’s fan, and also kick on the outdoor units compressor and fan.

The air gets cooled and circulated until temp indoors reads 73 and it stops all function. Generally they are 2 degrees but whatever…

This thing, as I remember being told a few years ago has a variable fan…okay.. they said it runs all the time at low, kicks up with the compressor then down again etc.

That is what it seemed to do.

So, its super hot, and during the day I know its rough… so i set it to 77… thermostat says 78… floats sometimes to 77…and 79…but mostly sits at 78.

To me its working but can’t fully keep up… i get it, its 100 degrees out, i have a bad vent still… but the air comfort in the home is MUCH better than before. Circulation of air is way way better.

It’s hard to tell when the air blower goes off, the thermostat does not click and its quiet… so i have to like catch it off…and it does that variable fan thing so it is on a lot.

At night i figure it should be able to “catch up” and stay 77… i notice the air coming out is not quite as cold… usually like 10-12 degree split from ambient.

I get worried i am leaking somewhere.. when i put it in at first, i was getting the target 20-24 degree split…

So i figure that is why it can’t keep up…

Then we get 2 days lots of rain and overcast… its “only” 85-88 out… still it sits at 78 when set to 77.

I am checking temperatures out of handler and vents… still like 14ish split…no wonder it can’t cool…

My wife says “just set it lower” i am like “woman! That’s not how it works! The cooling aspect of how much it can cool the intake air is what it is, compressor is on or off,”

So… i do… i put it at like 74… i am like, its running all the time at 77, and it reads generally 78, sometimes 77 sometimes 79 but usually 1 over.

I give it some time and check the vent temp… and… 25 degree delta?!?! It cools to 75, then it starts to again act like its been.

So… sorry tldr…

The thing apparently has a variable compressor that leads to at least 2 different levels of cooling and temp delta… I have never heard of that… i could be completely wrong..but now…

It is colder than this house has ever been in Florida August 100degrees.

And the past 4 days since this revelation, it will cool to whatever i tell it.. +1 it always seems to sit one above the setting.

so if i want 75, i tell it 74.

Edit- so i just have to stop, set it one under that i want and just let the dumb thing go… yeah that’s the objective right? Yeah but i tend to like to know in general how things function…

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Update on the Mr.Cool split system (traditional duct house system not mini split)

So this thing works in ways that just destroy all the concepts of how AC systems work in my mind.

So you know… normally in split systems in residential homes, you have a thermostat - it actually has the diode that flip switches on, and off..

You set a temp, say… 75. It has a float point of typically 2 or 4 degrees, or, + /- 1 or 2 degrees… so,,,

With a 4 degree float It would sense the indoor air is 77 degrees and kick on the inside unit’s fan, and also kick on the outdoor units compressor and fan.

The air gets cooled and circulated until temp indoors reads 73 and it stops all function. Generally they are 2 degrees but whatever…

This thing, as I remember being told a few years ago has a variable fan…okay.. they said it runs all the time at low, kicks up with the compressor then down again etc.

That is what it seemed to do.

So, its super hot, and during the day I know its rough… so i set it to 77… thermostat says 78… floats sometimes to 77…and 79…but mostly sits at 78.

To me its working but can’t fully keep up… i get it, its 100 degrees out, i have a bad vent still… but the air comfort in the home is MUCH better than before. Circulation of air is way way better.

It’s hard to tell when the air blower goes off, the thermostat does not click and its quiet… so i have to like catch it off…and it does that variable fan thing so it is on a lot.

At night i figure it should be able to “catch up” and stay 77… i notice the air coming out is not quite as cold… usually like 10-12 degree split from ambient.

I get worried i am leaking somewhere.. when i put it in at first, i was getting the target 20-24 degree split…

So i figure that is why it can’t keep up…

Then we get 2 days lots of rain and overcast… its “only” 85-88 out… still it sits at 78 when set to 77.

I am checking temperatures out of handler and vents… still like 14ish split…no wonder it can’t cool…

My wife says “just set it lower” i am like “woman! That’s not how it works! The cooling aspect of how much it can cool the intake air is what it is, compressor is on or off,”

So… i do… i put it at like 74… i am like, its running all the time at 77, and it reads generally 78, sometimes 77 sometimes 79 but usually 1 over.

I give it some time and check the vent temp… and… 25 degree delta?!?! It cools to 75, then it starts to again act like its been.

So… sorry tldr…

The thing apparently has a variable compressor that leads to at least 2 different levels of cooling and temp delta… I have never heard of that… i could be completely wrong..but now…

It is colder than this house has ever been in Florida August 100degrees.

And the past 4 days since this revelation, it will cool to whatever i tell it.. +1 it always seems to sit one above the setting.

so if i want 75, i tell it 74.

Edit- so i just have to stop, set it one under that i want and just let the dumb thing go… yeah that’s the objective right? Yeah but i tend to like to know in general how things function…

Alexa summarize this wall of text

• 1Worf

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Got a leaky water heater in my house, need a new one for a 3300 sq ft house

Anyone knows whats best? Are tankless any good? I dont know shit about any of this and I need some solid advice by tomorrow when I go buy one

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider

Anyone knows whats best? Are tankless any good? I dont know shit about any of this and I need some solid advice by tomorrow when I go buy one
Tankless are great until they break. The easiest solution is to do a like for like swap. If you have a 40 gallon electric, go back with that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

I just helped a buddy install a hybrid heat pump version. It's pretty slick.

But you do need a few things in place to use it like airflow from a decent sq footage and a drain you can put the condensate line to.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

just to double check, you sure your water heater is leaking? like from the cylinder itself? not the fittings?

a few months after i got this house i thought my water heater was leaking, but it was just my expansion tank was blown (the bladder failed), so that cause it to vent the water everywhere, got a new expansion tank and works fine.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
just to double check, you sure your water heater is leaking? like from the cylinder itself? not the fittings?

a few months after i got this house i thought my water heater was leaking, but it was just my expansion tank was blown (the bladder failed), so that cause it to vent the water everywhere, got a new expansion tank and works fine.

Water is coming out somewhere from the bottom of the unit and pools below the water heater itself, its probably the fittings but it doesn't really matter. This water heater itself is over 30 years old, its time to replace it.

• 1Truth!

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I just helped a buddy install a hybrid heat pump version. It's pretty slick.

But you do need a few things in place to use it like airflow from a decent sq footage and a drain you can put the condensate line to.

We do have decent sq footage, the room with HVAC and water heater is about 40 square feet and we do have a drain, I just finished draining the water heater with a garden hose.

Whats the benefit of going hybrid vs. all-gas? My current one is gas.

Also, no way am I getting a water heater with Wi-Fi

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We do have decent sq footage, the room with HVAC and water heater is about 40 square feet and we do have a drain, I just finished draining the water heater with a garden hose.

Whats the benefit of going hybrid vs. all-gas? My current one is gas.

Also, no way am I getting a water heater with Wi-Fi
It's efficiency and if it's in the basement, helping condition and dry the air (at least during the summer). It's basically just a mini split that heats the water with ambient air. With gas, depending on your gas price and average temps it might not make sense though. Vs regular electric though it's way more efficient.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
It's efficiency and if it's in the basement, helping condition and dry the air (at least during the summer). It's basically just a mini split that heats the water with ambient air. With gas, depending on your gas price and average temps it might not make sense though. Vs regular electric though it's way more efficient.

Gas is dirt cheap around here, so I'll probably go with an all-gas option.

Are all the installs typically $1k-2k?

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Gas is dirt cheap around here, so I'll probably go with an all-gas option.

Are all the installs typically $1k-2k?
Dunno never paid for one. They're all pretty simple with sharkbites and pex, only complication is gas lines.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
After weighing all my options, I think I'm just gonna do what T Thaloc said and replace it with same, but a 50 gal instead of 40.

Local plumbing company is running a promo to replace water heater (labor and unit) and removal of old unit for $1600 plus 0% financing

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I don't mess with gas lines

When doing projects i’m always more worried about electrical than gas. I’ve changed out both types of water heaters and it’s simple for what they charge you.

I’d take this opportunity to better yourself and learn it, but here’s another pro tip. Go on yelp and look up “handymen” in the area. Find a decent one and give him a ring and tell him you want to learn how to install your own water heater and you’ll pay him a few hundred bucks to come help you out for a couple hours. You’ll pick it up have it where install is all unboxed and ready to work on when he gets there. I did this a bunch of times on projects I did for the first time when I lived down in CA.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
After weighing all my options, I think I'm just gonna do what T Thaloc said and replace it with same, but a 50 gal instead of 40.

Local plumbing company is running a promo to replace water heater (labor and unit) and removal of old unit for $1600 plus 0% financing
That's a pretty decent price depending on the unit. Does it have what model number?

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
That's a pretty decent price depending on the unit. Does it have what model number?

I don't know yet what the unit will be, they'll come by tomorrow to check out my situation and we'll go from there. They do offer a 5 year warranty for the unit and 1 year labor I think.