Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I still like having one, even if we don't actually use it to dispose of a lot of volume. There's a ton of times where there's just a bit of food debris or something stuck in a bowl or container or whatever. It's really nice to be able to just rinse stuff out with hot water and the sprayer so we can toss it in the dishwasher.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Probably going to have to replace my disposal. Have discontinued power and dishes around inside, pulled out a few things that “somehow” were stuck in there, reset switch, and used a broom to rotate everything. It still refuses to go bbbrrrrr. Motor just sounds like it is seized or stuck and it whines.

I’ve done two of these in the past and the plumbing never seems to line up exactly and it turns in to this hugely irritating process. It doesn’t look like the Badger 1-90 is still made and the most direct replacement is the Badger 1xl or whatever. Hopefully the connections are close to the same.

Was at Lowe’s selecting one when a bro came up and was like “buy the 50$ Walmart one”

i did, its great

Quiet, only thing is the rubber drain cover thing is very closed compared to the previous badgers insinkerator - works well no leaks easyer install imo

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was at Lowe’s selecting one when a bro came up and was like “buy the 50$ Walmart one”

i did, its great

Quiet, only thing is the rubber drain cover thing is very closed compared to the previous badgers insinkerator - works well no leaks easyer install imo

Oh nice, does it use the same mount to the drain? Would love to not have to replace all that too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah the little red one underneath, I guess it is red… it was on the last one but I didn’t actually get down that low. Since the motor would jam up it would let me fish around inside, spin the blades a bit, reset and try again. Then it’d seize up again, rinse repeat. Because it kept sounding like there was actually something loose in there. But despite my best attempt at losing fingers / a hand I never found anything. Even after throwing the breaker and rooting around.
if you plan on keeping your current or get a new one, i'd recommend this, i did wonders for me
34529e37f603e9c2dc6b376bee6b5568.png

Garbage Disposal Unjamming Wrench - by Ohoho - Compatible with Waste King and Moen garbage disposals/InSinkErator WRN-00 for Easily Removes Sink Clogs and Debris

instead of shoving a broom, the swivel t handle is great and the angled hex isn't bad either.

it was weird for me, i could turn the bottom hex fine-ish but the top wouldn't move, one i used the t-handle after a bit of hulk smashing, it turned and worked fine.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

Oh nice, does it use the same mount to the drain? Would love to not have to replace all that too.

No its a different mount / drain, so buy a 4$ plumbers putty.

I have done 3 disposals- 2 were the badgers and only once could i just on/off the new one, the other time the mount was so rusted and old i had to put in the new mount / drain head anywho.

This one, to me was simpler to attach to the mount/drain than the others. It also has a unstuck button or something, i am sure the others have as well, but it seems to have all the features of the mid level badgers for less than the low level price - its stainless steel, 1/2hp not 1/3 etc.

It is also has a traditional wall plug, not a direct hard wire… i /think/ you can do either but i really forgot. I just took my current direct wire and put it into a new wall socket and just plugged it in. Again Walmart actually has a decent hardware section- so i got that from there for a few bucks.

• 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Anyone on here replaced a door on an existing case opening and/or installed bi-fold doors?
House was as-is when we bought it and the door between the main part of the house & the utility/laundry area was non-existent. There was a door but it was removed (depressions where the hinge/strike were removed are still there. Assuming it will have to be louvered as the AC return is in there. Just trying to decide if this is worth the effort or if I need to get a handyman type in to do it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anyone on here replaced a door on an existing case opening and/or installed bi-fold doors?
House was as-is when we bought it and the door between the main part of the house & the utility/laundry area was non-existent. There was a door but it was removed (depressions where the hinge/strike were removed are still there. Assuming it will have to be louvered as the AC return is in there. Just trying to decide if this is worth the effort or if I need to get a handyman type in to do it.
I did a bi fold from scratch on my new pantry I posted about here last winter. Easy as pie, just make sure you measure the shit correct. For an existing casing, you might have to trim the door to size, since you dont have the luxury of setting the top of the casing like I did, where the rail sits on.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What type of bifolds are you getting just the normal closet/hide a mess ones with louvers? Those are really easy to install, they just take some adjustment. However the AC return thing worries me unless your system has enough returns that it won't create an imbalance.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
What type of bifolds are you getting just the normal closet/hide a mess ones with louvers? Those are really easy to install, they just take some adjustment. However the AC return thing worries me unless your system has enough returns that it won't create an imbalance.
I'm on board with your worry. Part of why I'm asking here. They would really only be closed when the washer/dryer is going. Here's why , when I watched Layer cake today ( Rate Movies You've Recently Watched. ) I was also doing laundry and had the TV blasting so I could hear it. Then I forgot to turn it down when I was done and it was ear splitting when my wife turned it on later. Louvered bi-fold doors if that's the way to go.
I'm not really past the think about it stage to be honest.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm on board with your worry. Part of why I'm asking here. They would really only be closed when the washer/dryer is going. Here's why , when I watched Layer cake today ( Rate Movies You've Recently Watched. ) I was also doing laundry and had the TV blasting so I could hear it. Then I forgot to turn it down when I was done and it was ear splitting when my wife turned it on later. Louvered bi-fold doors if that's the way to go.
I'm not really past the think about it stage to be honest.
If you got full length louvers it might be fine. With sound you're looking for coverage but airflow you may only need to keep it open a crack if it can't pull enough through the louvers. They're so cheap I think I'd probably try it and then make sure to do a paper test on suction through the louvers with the AC to see how bad it's restricting.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

i did, its great

Thanks for this tip. Took about 30 minutes today and was straightforward to convert from plug to hard wire.

• 1Solidarity

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm no plumber, but if it's above a bathroom and goes to the roof, it's probably a vent stack?

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!