Home Improvement

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
When doing projects i’m always more worried about electrical than gas. I’ve changed out both types of water heaters and it’s simple for what they charge you.

I’d take this opportunity to better yourself and learn it, but here’s another pro tip. Go on yelp and look up “handymen” in the area. Find a decent one and give him a ring and tell him you want to learn how to install your own water heater and you’ll pay him a few hundred bucks to come help you out for a couple hours. You’ll pick it up have it where install is all unboxed and ready to work on when he gets there. I did this a bunch of times on projects I did for the first time when I lived down in CA.

Normally I would be all up for that but I don't have a lot of time these days and I don't want to dick around with the disposal of old unit.

I had an 80 foot hickory tree fall in my yard a week ago and I'm still chopping wood and stacking it a week later. Plus I got kids out of school, work, etc. Even my shit posting has fallen off a cliff this summer

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Your utility should hook it up for you. They ran the line for my gas dryer for me free of charge but that was when I was hooking up new service

I have the gas lines already, but from my understanding they will need to be cut near the water heater and new tubing soldered on to attach to new unit

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I have the gas lines already, but from my understanding they will need to be cut near the water heater and new tubing soldered on to attach to new unit
They might need to be cut, but usually gas lines are either the black steel ones that are screwed together, basically piecemeal together from different lengths and fittings and screwed together with unions and pipe dope. They can be cut and they have special dies to cut the threads but I recommend the yellow flex line with a shut off, it will make the next tank a breeze to install. I also recommend shark fittings for the water pipes as well, I did this last time and the tank was a breeze to install, I did it myself. They sell special shark fittings that are flexible specially made for hot water tanks, from memory they are like 8"-10" long? BTW They dont solder shit when gas is concerned.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
was your old heater straight piped in
6eb951f7a2d6de70a08033f38c835052.png

or did it come out flex hose?
d19f89d135374e762e3c9939dc67657a.png

Siliconemelons

Just my 2c on water heaters

They will last forever if you keep the waste rod / anode rod replaced.

It will heat well if you drain the water bi-yearly and replace the heating coils.

My cousin has a heat pump one, it cools his wash room very well lol.

Others have pumped the cool air into the attic for a type of cool-down insulation, others just let the garage get a bit cooler and some even put it into their house…for fun?

I need to drain mine and check my anode rod… i just saw on amazon an electric anode rod?!

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Just my 2c on water heaters

They will last forever if you keep the waste rod / anode rod replaced.

It will heat well if you drain the water bi-yearly and replace the heating coils.

My cousin has a heat pump one, it cools his wash room very well lol.

Others have pumped the cool air into the attic for a type of cool-down insulation, others just let the garage get a bit cooler and some even put it into their house…for fun?

I need to drain mine and check my anode rod… i just saw on amazon an electric anode rod?!

The attic ducting is amazing if you can swing it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Thaloc

Molten Core Raider
After weighing all my options, I think I'm just gonna do what T Thaloc said and replace it with same, but a 50 gal instead of 40.

Local plumbing company is running a promo to replace water heater (labor and unit) and removal of old unit for $1600 plus 0% financing
That's a good price, in my area that's an $1800-2000 job.

Burns

Can anyone recommend a good standing fan?

We need one with strong air flow and oscillating
I have had a Vornado floor fan running almost non-stop for 10ish years and only now is it having some issues (going to try to re-oil it properly next week) (THIS, but older). They make a whole slew of fans, including standing fans.

I've also had a Lasko oscillating tower fan running almost non-stop for 4-5 years w/o an issue (THIS, but older).

I didn't do any research on either, so I'm not sure how they rate in terms of advertised airflow VS. actual airflow.

If you want to get lost in the YouTube rabbit hole, there are probably people doing various tests on them. Such as this guy for DYI shop filtration (he has other videos with other fans in similar filter set up):

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Probably going to have to replace my disposal. Have discontinued power and dishes around inside, pulled out a few things that “somehow” were stuck in there, reset switch, and used a broom to rotate everything. It still refuses to go bbbrrrrr. Motor just sounds like it is seized or stuck and it whines.

I’ve done two of these in the past and the plumbing never seems to line up exactly and it turns in to this hugely irritating process. It doesn’t look like the Badger 1-90 is still made and the most direct replacement is the Badger 1xl or whatever. Hopefully the connections are close to the same.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Probably going to have to replace my disposal. Have discontinued power and dishes around inside, pulled out a few things that “somehow” were stuck in there, reset switch, and used a broom to rotate everything. It still refuses to go bbbrrrrr. Motor just sounds like it is seized or stuck and it whines.

I’ve done two of these in the past and the plumbing never seems to line up exactly and it turns in to this hugely irritating process. It doesn’t look like the Badger 1-90 is still made and the most direct replacement is the Badger 1xl or whatever. Hopefully the connections are close to the same.
you tried moving the blade from the top and bottom?

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Can anyone recommend a good standing fan?

We need one with strong air flow and oscillating
I can second the Lasco fans. We run ours nonstop for years although we don't keep it oscillating. I've probably had 5 of them and they are good. Last I saw them at Sams Club they were under $50. $79 at amazon seems high.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

by reset switch , do you mean the one on the motor itself?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
by reset switch , do you mean the one on the motor itself?
Yeah the little red one underneath, I guess it is red… it was on the last one but I didn’t actually get down that low. Since the motor would jam up it would let me fish around inside, spin the blades a bit, reset and try again. Then it’d seize up again, rinse repeat. Because it kept sounding like there was actually something loose in there. But despite my best attempt at losing fingers / a hand I never found anything. Even after throwing the breaker and rooting around.

• 1Like