Home Improvement

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
16965570c97da1a69f93d86ee31ad685.gif
I have been on these forums for over two decades at this point. I make a point of not googling anything unfamiliar for mental stability.

• 2Truth!
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There was a day I would have posted it in the SFW areas and boldly taken the RRP.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

FML

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Last year we renovated one of our bathrooms and moved the washer/dryer into it. Now we're demoing the old laundry area off the kitchen where there were some known leaks (prior to my occupancy). Turns out the water caused the ends of the floor joists to rot off to the point of floating, along with compromising a 4x6 beam that spans a gap in the foundation. Looks like I get to have fun jacking up the house and replacing the beam, then beefing up the floors. Whee!

(None of this was visible from the crawlspace as the rot was all top-down and the visible surfaces appeared solid.

1724704681547.png

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Last year we renovated one of our bathrooms and moved the washer/dryer into it. Now we're demoing the old laundry area off the kitchen where there were some known leaks (prior to my occupancy). Turns out the water caused the ends of the floor joists to rot off to the point of floating, along with compromising a 4x6 beam that spans a gap in the foundation. Looks like I get to have fun jacking up the house and replacing the beam, then beefing up the floors. Whee!

(None of this was visible from the crawlspace as the rot was all top-down and the visible surfaces appeared solid.

View attachment 543309
(Quietly puts the floor back down and reconsiders the remodel.) "Man. Your house is a beaut'! Will sell well on the market!" (Just kidding.. or am I?)

• 1Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
(Quietly puts the floor back down and reconsiders the remodel.) "Man. Your house is a beaut'! Will sell well on the market!" (Just kidding.. or am I?)

I don't think it's that bad. My contractor is a good friend of mine and used to run a large demo company. He knows everything there is about structural integrity and assures me that this is a 1-2 day two-man job for the structural work. We'll put temporary beams under the floor joists on both sides of the rotten beam, jack them up 1/16'', replace the beam with a fresh one (making sure that we eliminate any existing sagging), then sister some new joist material from the beam to the nearest foundation piling. The span is only three feet wide and the primary load posts for the surrounding wall are on solid footings.

My main takeaway is fuck the previous owners who knew the washer was leaking and didn't do anything about it for 10 years and didn't disclose it. This is why in my new bathroom I put a floor drain right under the washer and plastic-lined the stud bay that has the plumbing in it. I'm going to make it easy for the next guy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Blegh, does anyone know of a good natural, nontoxic repellent for spiders?

They keep building webs on the porch and we keep walking head first through them

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Blegh, does anyone know of a good natural, nontoxic repellent for spiders?

They keep building webs on the porch and we keep walking head first through them
Allegedly they don't like peppermint. I tried a mint spray once, seemed to have a modest effect, but I didn't keep up with it for the whole reapplication following rainfall part. A covered area like a porch probably has a better shot at working.

Also, the peppermint spray did work to keep out assholes like chipmunks and mice from chewing on my wire harnesses in my vehicles and it's not going to make your mechanic hate you like the hot pepper sprays will.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Try some Diatomaceous earth. Its tiny little fossils of diatoms. And it gets all over the crawling insects and fucks them up and totally safe to humans.

Diatomite is of value as an insecticide because of its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties.[25] The fine powder adsorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of the exoskeletons of many species of insects; this layer acts as a barrier that resists the loss of water vapour from the insect's body. Damaging the layer increases the evaporation of water from their bodies, so that they dehydrate, often fatally.

This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs.[26] However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. Diatomaceous earth is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness.

Diatomaceous earth is a natural, abrasive substance made from fossilized diatoms. While it does not directly kill spiders, it can effectively control them. When spiders come into contact with diatomaceous earth, it damages their exoskeleton, causing them to dehydrate and eventually die.Oct 26, 2023

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Next week starts our big summer project delayed until September (of course). 900 Sq.Ft stamped concrete patio, new walkway to the house, new pool deck, new back deck (landing really), new side deck and covering our front concrete steps with new decking.

All told we're at about $30k. Dealing with multiple contractors at once and trying to schedule them is AIDs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Next week starts our big summer project delayed until September (of course). 900 Sq.Ft stamped concrete patio, new walkway to the house, new pool deck, new back deck (landing really), new side deck and covering our front concrete steps with new decking.

All told we're at about $30k. Dealing with multiple contractors at once and trying to schedule them is AIDs.
Why so much? is it because of the stamped shit? We had our whole driveway, sidewalk on side of house and patio done, not with stamped just normal, steel reinforced concrete for about $15K maybe 5-6 yrs back? And its a pretty big driveway too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It seems to be the going rate around here. It's about $15k for the 1000 SQ ft or so of stamped concrete and the other half is all the decking (Trex)

If we wanted pavers the 1000 sq ft quotes we got was $30k.

Might've been cheaper because yours was pre covid pricing

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Try some Diatomaceous earth. Its tiny little fossils of diatoms. And it gets all over the crawling insects and fucks them up and totally safe to humans.

Diatomite is of value as an insecticide because of its abrasive and physico-sorptive properties.[25] The fine powder adsorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of the exoskeletons of many species of insects; this layer acts as a barrier that resists the loss of water vapour from the insect's body. Damaging the layer increases the evaporation of water from their bodies, so that they dehydrate, often fatally.

This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs.[26] However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. Diatomaceous earth is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness.

Diatomaceous earth is a natural, abrasive substance made from fossilized diatoms. While it does not directly kill spiders, it can effectively control them. When spiders come into contact with diatomaceous earth, it damages their exoskeleton, causing them to dehydrate and eventually die.Oct 26, 2023

Can vouch for this shit when we had a flea problem at our old apartment. Works great indoors, but if you do use it outdoors, yeah you'll have to replace it quite a bit because it's completely useless once it's wet at all. If you do use it inside, need to use a wetvac to clean it up. Also don't breathe it.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
So all of a sudden my pressure in the shower is super low with hot water. When I change the temp to cold the pressure goes back to normal. It seems to only be my shower, the sinks in the bathroom have normal pressure with hot water and all the other bathrooms are fine. Any ideas? This happened suddenly wasn’t gradual

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So all of a sudden my pressure in the shower is super low with hot water. When I change the temp to cold the pressure goes back to normal. It seems to only be my shower, the sinks in the bathroom have normal pressure with hot water and all the other bathrooms are fine. Any ideas? This happened suddenly wasn’t gradual
How old is your place? Some pre 1970s places still had steel pipes. My old place that was built in 60s had steel shit in it and it was all corroded inside so that a pea sized hole existed for the water to get through. Sometimes its not the actual supply lines but the fixtures themselves. I had all copper lines but some of my fixtures, like the shower and the laundry sink in the basement were steel.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
It’s brand new. Also this happened suddenly so it’s not a pipe corrosion/sediment thing. I’m guessing it’s some kind of valve thing but I dunno enuf about this stuff to know how to check or where the valves are

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, then I have nothing. Maybe its just plugged? some foreign matter in the HWT or something in the supply lodged loose? But I dont even know how you would fix something like that. If there is shutoffs for the shower, I would suggest fucking with those, close the valve then reopen it. Like in the basement or a closet behind it?

• 1Like

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yea I dunno where those are I probably shouldn’t unscrew stuff randomly, gonna have to get a plumber. Of course this shit happens on holiday weekends. Not the worst problem to have but I get annoyed when new construction has this shit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yea I dunno where those are I probably shouldn’t unscrew stuff randomly, gonna have to get a plumber. Of course this shit happens on holiday weekends. Not the worst problem to have but I get annoyed when new construction has this shit.
Nahh, all fixtures, especially in a new home should have shutoffs. You need to find those and just fuck with them, its only a valve, close it then reopen it a few times, sometimes this is where it plugs up, even from water mineral deposits over time.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Nahh, all fixtures, especially in a new home should have shutoffs. You need to find those and just fuck with them, its only a valve, close it then reopen it a few times, sometimes this is where it plugs up, even from water mineral deposits over time.
Be careful because many types of these have seals or packing of one type or another. If you start moving valves that haven't been touched in decades you can cause leaks.