Home Improvement

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Be careful because many types of these have seals or packing of one type or another. If you start moving valves that haven't been touched in decades you can cause leaks.
I get what you are saying but he said his place is new.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
If it's new new as in less than a year old there is a construction warranty of a year on it anyway. Messing with it in that year is a perfect excuse by the contractors (justifiably) to not honor a construction warranty. Also , learned the hard way, don't take mixing valves apart under pressure. It's REALLY FUCKING HARD to put the toothpaste back in the tube under pressure. LOL

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and ordered an Echo 770T backpack blower.

Went all over the place and down too many YouTube rabbit holes. Was going to buy a Redmax 7500 but neither Redmax dealer near me stocked it so I either had to drop back to the 6500 or up to the 9500. Considered stepping up but it was just not worth the extra cost, weight, etc it seemed.

Did look at the Echo 8010 and was going to go that route except I also could not find it for sale only the 9010. Seemed like the 8010 used carbon fiber to keep the weight down but the 9010 dropped that and so was a pounds heavier.

Had initially figured I would get a Stihl 600 or 800 but nearly every video I watched showed them as comparatively underpowered vs a similar Echo or Redmax. We’ll see how this works out. If we move in a couple of years to larger property I’ll step up to the biggest versions.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So all of a sudden my pressure in the shower is super low with hot water. When I change the temp to cold the pressure goes back to normal. It seems to only be my shower, the sinks in the bathroom have normal pressure with hot water and all the other bathrooms are fine. Any ideas? This happened suddenly wasn’t gradual
imo your mixing valve is fucked if the other showers are fine
1791f7bbd47fdb7cc4967511ee146bfd.png

especially if it's hot water

who knows, maybe you had a big calcified deposit just shoot up there and it is now lodged in the mixing value

on a non related note i thought my ac was just chugging along cuz of the months of heat waves, my 2nd floor ac just didn't get as cold as fast as my 1st floor ac, but i just attributed it to heat rises and we spend more time upstairs anyway. i just decided to buy 6oz of r22 and just see whats up. i already had a manifold from working on my cars ac. i popped in both cans and it cools better now, i could probably pop in another 6oz and be good, but this is fine (it was reading right at 60, most hvac sites said it should be 60-80)

if i had to do it again, i'd get some low loss fittings cuz even wearing gloves unscrewing the high side for 2seconds felt kind sus

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
Any suggestions on high quality door knob brands? The stuff at Home Depot is absolute garbage and the knobs feel like flimsy cheap aluminum

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Any suggestions on high quality door knob brands? The stuff at Home Depot is absolute garbage and the knobs feel like flimsy cheap aluminum

My uncle's house has AMAZING interior doorknobs that I really want to put in my place, but sadly they were some German import with no info stamped on them and we can't ID them.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My uncle's house has AMAZING interior doorknobs that I really want to put in my place, but sadly they were some German import with no info stamped on them and we can't ID them.
Take a picture up close of multiple angles and then do a search for comparable and find one that works, then click Shopping. You may not find the exact door knob, but maybe something close.

Yup. Absolute garbage. Even the most expensive ones at HD
Just because the box stores puts those brands out for display, doesnt mean theyre showing that brands best stock. When the average door knob purchased is some generic $40 bullshit, its hard for them to justify stocking the 200-300 dollar ones. I know this because finding good door knobs for AirBNB's is a pain in the ass.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Have you tried polishing them to see if they feel better?
How would polishing a door knob change the quality of its build material?..
Take a picture up close of multiple angles and then do a search for comparable and find one that works, then click Shopping. You may not find the exact door knob, but maybe something close.

Just because the box stores puts those brands out for display, doesnt mean theyre showing that brands best stock. When the average door knob purchased is some generic $40 bullshit, it’s hard for them to justify stocking the 200-300 dollar ones. I know this because finding good door knobs for AirBNB's is a pain in the ass.
Well then tell me, are there Gucci Schlage door knobs?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

Tried that for several hours and didn't find an exact match. We were holding out for the precise model because you can't tell anything about the internal mechanics and feel from photos. We liked these because they were solid to the touch but buttery smooth and nearly silent on open/close.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
How would polishing a door knob change the quality of its build material?..

Well then tell me, are there Gucci Schlage door knobs?

Bro, you can get any knob and polish it until its exactly how you like it. It doesnt matter what country it came from or what color it is. Just start polishing a knob until its exactly what you want

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Goatface

see if there is a local place from here

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Bro, you can get any knob and polish it until its exactly how you like it. It doesnt matter what country it came from or what color it is. Just start polishing a knob until its exactly what you want
Bro the material and build quality sucks. This isn’t Russia. Maybe that works over there but most stuff in the USA is made in china garbage.

Siliconemelons

Been a slow project due to work week and kids, and heat... but got to put some more time in this weekend while also shopping for a new car.

Actually have everything filled back in as of yesterday afternoon, just didn't take any pictures. This was my dry fit for everything. There's the two more sections not visible going in to the catch basin, one from the east and one from the south from under driveway. Had to cut the holes in that catch myself b/c it came off Amazon and had multiple options for size of pipe, but I think it'll work out. had to level out and go deeper in a couple of spots after the test fit also.

Ended up with perforated up top, put a sock on it, and then used solid for the branches down to the Y and T that eventually go under the shop and out to the back of the house.

Oddly enough I ended up with not enough dirt after covering everything. No idea, must be some dark magic. I shoveled out more, and replaced some volume with pipe, but somehow can't cover it all, haha.

Going to pick up some bags of top soil (I guess?) to help level out the area a little better, but down my fabric, then cover with all the river rock.

View attachment 534057

Sump-pump and French drains are the next project in my back yard… already scoped out renting a ditch digger, looking and pump buckets… goodbye a few days of life and a few k$

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sump-pump and French drains are the next project in my back yard… already scoped out renting a ditch digger, looking and pump buckets… goodbye a few days of life and a few k$
I need to fix some of it next year. The main issues in retrospect were how deep I dug and the 4-way trap. Despite feeling as if I basically dug all the way to China through rock and root, it could probably have used another inch. The trap isn’t functioning as well as I’d hope so may just remove it altogether and let the driveway drain in to the bed. Too much debris is washing toward it and blocking the drain. The idea was good, just not sure in practice it works.

Also laid some stone out as a border but made no attempt to make it look good. Pretty much threw them around the edge and said screw it bc I’m pulling them up anyways.

• 1Like