Home Improvement

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bro the material and build quality sucks. This isn’t Russia. Maybe that works over there but most stuff in the USA is made in china garbage.

Most local places are only going to have residential grade hardware and its all going to be the same kwikset/schlage residential tier quality. Check Grainger or McMaster for commercial/industrial grade

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
These guys work very slow. But the front steps are almost covered. Hated these cement steps ever since we bought the house
1000006390.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
It's hard to tell these days but uhhh is that PT? I think I can see some of the green staining
If you are west of the green part of Texas , green PT is hard to find. I had to special order it from 84 lumber I think, the home depot's , etc all carry 'pressure treated' that's dark brown for bugs or something. The 'wood' looks engineered but hard to tell.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you are west of the green part of Texas , green PT is hard to find. I had to special order it from 84 lumber I think, the home depot's , etc all carry 'pressure treated' that's dark brown for bugs or something. The 'wood' looks engineered but hard to tell.

That reminds me I gotta find a supplier of some creosote railroad ties to replace a few pieces in my yard. Getting harder to find that shit.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Bro the material and build quality sucks. This isn’t Russia. Maybe that works over there but most stuff in the USA is made in china garbage.

Why dont you just give it a chance and polish some knobs?

See where it takes you.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That reminds me I gotta find a supplier of some creosote railroad ties to replace a few pieces in my yard. Getting harder to find that shit.
Wow I'm surprised you can find any. Creosote was banned a while ago.

Reminds me of this one time I went to the local SC feed store looking for some diazinon (sp?) insecticide. Lady says 'isn't that the stuff that got banned?' I said yep , she said 'well we got some in the back'. Wish I'd bought more now, that shit was awesome.

Erronius

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
AFAIK you're just not supposed to use creosote indoors, or burn anything that's been treated with it. Otherwise there's really no restrictions on outdoor use?

My family used to get railroad ties from work, and we'd use those as posts in the corners of our fencing. That shit was heavy AF, too.

But maybe there's new restrictions on it? Not sure

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
AFAIK you're just not supposed to use creosote indoors, or burn anything that's been treated with it. Otherwise there's really no restrictions on outdoor use?

My family used to get railroad ties from work, and we'd use those as posts in the corners of our fencing. That shit was heavy AF, too.

But maybe there's new restrictions on it? Not sure

All I remember was a very intense system to replace power lines from creosote to treated, this was in hurricane country in the US south. I don't really recall why. I remember when we were young + stupid we rolled the bottom of one of those power poles to the middle of nowhere and set it on fire. Took forever to start then wouldn't go out. Now that you mention it, I believe the place I have now had RR ties but the sun had obliterated them. Don't recall what they were made of.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
New Topic: Who knows AC Systems?
Few days ago we had a power surge here in my neighborhood. Long story short the AC would not come back on until I did a complete power reset. I opened the unit and the cap(s) look ok but are a little rusty. Thing is , factory wiring shows (1) cap with 3 connections , one of the peeps that worked on it replaced it with a cap with (2) connections and added another one with (2) connections for the fan. I realize that's fine to do. I want to get some backups for the inevitable day they die. Question is do I put it back the way it's factory designed to wire or just replace what's there. Obviously the 2nd option would be faster. I am an electrician by trade so wiring diagrams are no problem but I do not know enough about HVAC to know the pros/cons of the way it's wired now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's hard to tell these days but uhhh is that PT? I think I can see some of the green staining
Ain't got a clue

What's the worry if it is?

It's all being covered with Trex, but this is a legit company with good reviews so hopefully they're doing shit proper.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ain't got a clue

What's the worry if it is?

It's all being covered with Trex, but this is a legit company with good reviews so hopefully they're doing shit proper.

Water getting underneath and leeching into the concrete then staying wet against the wood.

Yeahs73

Trakanon Raider
New Topic: Who knows AC Systems?
Few days ago we had a power surge here in my neighborhood. Long story short the AC would not come back on until I did a complete power reset. I opened the unit and the cap(s) look ok but are a little rusty. Thing is , factory wiring shows (1) cap with 3 connections , one of the peeps that worked on it replaced it with a cap with (2) connections and added another one with (2) connections for the fan. I realize that's fine to do. I want to get some backups for the inevitable day they die. Question is do I put it back the way it's factory designed to wire or just replace what's there. Obviously the 2nd option would be faster. I am an electrician by trade so wiring diagrams are no problem but I do not know enough about HVAC to know the pros/cons of the way it's wired now.

Go back to one capacitor. Then you only need to keep one on hand. My assumption is the last guy to work on it didn't have the correct split capacitor, and just used what he had to make it work. Nothing wrong with it but always better to have one part vs two.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users