Home Improvement

The_Black_Log Foler

PalsCo CEO - Stock Pals | Pantheon Pals
<Gold Donor>
You know they can put fans on the roof or in gables right?

Also soffits but not sure if the roofer changed those.

Every ridge is mostly vented in Florida, full soffits that are vented… i have 1 attic fan- kick on once the attic is like 100 or something.

Is there no insulation? On the “floor” of the attic?

The roofing in Florida is very different than up north- watching videos on building small houses up north, the roof is so simple compared to the vents, soffits etc etc we have because its so darn hot.

OK.... From my experience (and doing some AC work as an apprentice/helper when I was in my teens) You have a combo issue here.
  • A lot of humidity in the attic. (Can't solve this unless you move the house out of Florida)
  • Temp differences which cause condensation (cooler vents, or cold air getting into the attic causing large surface/air temp differences)
  • Not enough airflow through the attic to pick up and remove moisture
First point, well.. unless you're gonna move out of Florida crazy humidity is just part of the game....

Addressing the second means better insulating what is cold to lower the surface temp differences. This usually means better insulation around ductwork in the attic (thicker and better sealed), And better insulation between the ceiling and attic air space. Is the current insulation rolls, spray in shredded, or spray foam?

Sounds like you're already taking some steps to address the third. As mentioned, with a ridge vent you have to have good soffit vents along the outside and clear air paths from them. Check that, add soffits as needed. Next step from there is to add some kind of active air mover. You can get bonnets now that have solar panels on top and use those to actively pull air through, not incredibly hard to install can be a DIY project or should be simple for any competent roofing/AC person.

Sounds like the bigger issue is an insulation/sealing problem. You shouldn't be getting enough leakage in or out of the conditioned portion of the house to cause that kind of condensation, or get enough moisture in the primary volume to warp the doors (assuming the AC is running). Secondary issue, as Haus points out, is venting to stabilize attic humidity.

Yeah im not sure thats the case if the problems only started with the roof being redone. Seems like a big coincidence, right? The roof should have a ridge vent but also vents along the soffit, so a constant flow of fresh air is pulled in while the hot air is pushed out. I would also reccomend an actual fan up there on one of the roofs ridge sides with an auto tep turn on. I have one which is set to 135F.

View attachment 546001

Aside that I dont know, maybe its an HVAC issue too. One of the primary uses of an AC unit is to pull all the humidity out of the house.

Wow. Big thanks for the overwhelming level of input. I need to do some research and get back with you guys. I’m not sure they have soffit vents. What’s he even mind blowing is the roofer who did the original reroof didn’t do a ridge vent.

There’s definitely most likely a few issues going on here which you guys pointed out. It seems like insulation could definitely be one due to the condensation on inside of doors to attic and potentially (need to measure it) high humidity in air conned portion of house that I’m thinking is leading to all the doors to exterior swelling.

Going to deploy humidity sensors today or tomorrow, take a look at insulation and soffits and report back.

Out of curiosity - what is the best insulation these days? I think prior to the reroof there were fiberglass batts and I think there still may be but I’ll double check.

Siliconemelons

Spray in is popular, but if there is any chance of… change, its a mess- just high R rolled in stuff is great and can be moved, cut, taken out then in… unlike spray in as spray in is shredded insulation and glue essentially.

One thing spray in.. may be good? Is sometimes they will spray over all the AC vents- take that as you will.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
yea you got a ton of algae, i'm guessing cuz thats the dark shaded side, when i helped my neighbor clean his house for sale i just followed some directions
bleach
driveway cleaner

didn't work so, then i got this 30second cleaner, all that algae just fell off
cc757fa6ce2ccd02b05dd8867ec878e2.png

i have a foam cannon so i just mixed a bit of it in, it could reacht he 2nd floor fine, 3rd floor, would be an issue
Thanks for the recommendation. I posted the pics full well knowing I got shit there haha. I'm gonna take care of it next weekend.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thanks for the recommendation. I posted the pics full well knowing I got shit there haha. I'm gonna take care of it next weekend.
yea i posted the concentrate version, it's only 10bucks, they sell a ready to go where you clip it on the end of a garden hose (like the weed killers) but thats like 30bucks and like a 1quart.

just mix it in w/ the soap dispensing or foam cannon

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Are they going to fix the steps? I mean it all looks really good, especially like the patio more than I would have imagined. But I kind of can't unsee that bottom step.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are they going to fix the steps? I mean it all looks really good, especially like the patio more than I would have imagined. But I kind of can't unsee that bottom step.
So the step guy... Just stopped showing up. His brother came by and said yadda yadda family emergency.

Which ok sure... But I gave you an initial $8000 steps and you've barely started. I have one exit from my house right now. That half finished step.

I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a horror story, but I vetted him and he has really great reviews. At the same time though, my house is entirely unsafe. And also I am pretty sure with them half finished, parts of them are ruined (the bottom.) and need to be redone.

You'll notice I don't have a back deck in the other pic too. And my side stairs are unusable.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So the step guy... Just stopped showing up. His brother came by and said yadda yadda family emergency.

Which ok sure... But I gave you an initial $8000 steps and you've barely started. I have one exit from my house right now. That half finished step.

I am really hoping this doesn't turn into a horror story, but I vetted him and he has really great reviews. At the same time though, my house is entirely unsafe. And also I am pretty sure with them half finished, parts of them are ruined (the bottom.) and need to be redone.

You'll notice I don't have a back deck in the other pic too. And my side stairs are unusable.
Well shit. I hope it works out.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Sorry bro you got scammed

Also if you gave that guy 8 grand to cut some trex with a miter saw to cover 4 steps, i'll fly down and do it for half.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I paid half the job to:

1. Demo side and back deck
2. Build new side deck
3. Cover front steps
4. Build new back deck
5. Build pool deck (one side of the pool

Problem wS they needed to demo before concrete started.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I paid half the job to:

1. Demo side and back deck
2. Build new side deck
3. Cover front steps
4. Build new back deck
5. Build pool deck (one side of the pool

Problem wS they needed to demo before concrete started.

Are you considering the concrete patio a deck or is this on top of the work you showed? Not clear if its the same guy with a sub or two separate people.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Are you considering the concrete patio a deck or is this on top of the work you showed? Not clear if its the same guy with a sub or two separate people.
Concrete was a separate contractor. The deck guy is another company.

It was $15k for all the concrete, and the deck guy is another $15k.

I.am considering just telling him refund me for what he's done less the amount he's put in so far. I'm actually really irritated as it's becoming a safety issue.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Concrete was a separate contractor. The deck guy is another company.

It was $15k for all the concrete, and the deck guy is another $15k.

I.am considering just telling him refund me for what he's done less the amount he's put in so far. I'm actually really irritated as it's becoming a safety issue.
The problem is usually deposit covers materials. So he may not want to budge if he actually ordered all the Trex and PT. Hope it doesn't get messy for you, that sucks.

• 1Truth!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The problem is usually deposit covers materials. So he may not want to budge if he actually ordered all the Trex and PT. Hope it doesn't get messy for you, that sucks.
Yeah it is what it is. He was actually pretty good originally then... Just stopped showing up. And yeah the first half covered materials, but he also gave me some wishy washy answer about something back ordered. Either way one of my good friends is a lawyer.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yeah it is what it is. He was actually pretty good originally then... Just stopped showing up. And yeah the first half covered materials, but he also gave me some wishy washy answer about something back ordered. Either way one of my good friends is a lawyer.
Between my family and people I know this seems to happen way too frequently. And like you this is almost always people with great recommendations not just randos with 3.2 stars on Google maps.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
FWIW: I am in Construction project management. When I had my yard/house renovated where I am now, I approached it like a construction project.
I made them sign a contract, no work could start until. Period
I also made them agree to a schedule of values as part of the project. My project was small , I think 36K and we broke it into thirds with a value for each. Not necessarily even values if there is a good reason. Also since I do this for a living if I'm the contractor I try to front load the SOV.
I don't believe I did here but 10% retention is standard, that means you hold 10% of the total value back until you are satisfied with the work. Actually thinking about it I believe it's illegal in NV if anyone else knows?
Any extras had to have a separate value added to the SOV, For instance I realized my side fence needed a double gate to get any vehicle into the back yard. That was like a $700 add.
Everything has to be signed. Period

Backordered parts are a reality now in construction, I don't see it getting better any time soon. I sincerely hope you don't get scammed. Sincerely. I'd talk to that lawyer buddy ASAP be completely honest to them and see where you stand. No need to be nice, this is business not friends. Even if it's business with friends.

• 1Like