Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That is an aspect I hadn't thought about and probably why the removal cost seemed so high to me since I can just stack it out of the way until it's dry enough to burn.

Access is the other unfortunate thing, we have acres of woods but our street frontage is all our landscaped areas on the lot, so we'd have to run heavy equipment through the lawn to run several tons into the back, which I'm reluctant to do. Had a 65' maple fall last winter, was like an entire tri-axle full of debris with a giant chipper.

Goatface

my town will come pick up any amount of green waste once a year for free. we have 2 drop off centers that take any amount of personal waste for free. it has spoiled me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive downed bigger trees than that at my cabin, all oak that sprung some disease, some root rot or some shit. Anyway, yeah, downed about 5-6 of them about 30-40ft tall all with my 16" ryobi gas saw. Burned the branches, split the wood. You could have that all cleaned up in a day or two except the branches which you will need to call city for a grinder. All for the price of a 16" or 18" saw.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
my town will come pick up any amount of green waste once a year for free. we have 2 drop off centers that take any amount of personal waste for free. it has spoiled me.

Yeah, we have yard waste pickup for free once a week, doesn't matter how much crap I put out there as long as it is trees, leaves, shrubs, sticks, etc. We also get 4 free "special" pick ups each year where they'll get just about everything else. Couches, dressers, lawn mowers, anything I've ever put on the curb before or after a move. Just drop a ticket on 311 and it is gone within three days.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Rent a wood chipper from home Depot and mulch some of your yard? That's what we did. We gave the big pieces away to people that wanted firewood.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
once again i have my tree fall on my neighbor
View attachment 546952
it looks worse than what it is, surprisingly nothing is damaged? there might be a broken window, can't see, pretty much 1/3 of the trunk split off

it looks healthy?

and there was like zero wind, just plop

been calling around, what the estimate on this job? like 800+?

My neighbor's 80 foot hickory tree snapped during a storm in July and crashed into my property. Missed my house by about 15-20 feet but pancaked my chainlink fence.

It took 3 of us 2 days to cut up that tree into manageable pieces, dragged what we could to the road where the city picked it up (but most towns arent that lucky with free branch pick up), the rest we chopped up and stacked on multiple wood racks around my yard. One of the guys that helped us is a buddy of mine who is a professional tree cutter. He said they would probably charge $1500-2500 for that job. Large component of the price is that all skilled labor costs have jumped astronomically since COVID and its hard to find people that do that work.

Its an easy job, if you got a few days and a chainsaw.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My neighbor's 80 foot hickory tree snapped during a storm in July and crashed into my property. Missed my house by about 15-20 feet but pancaked my chainlink fence.

It took 3 of us 2 days to cut up that tree into manageable pieces, dragged what we could to the road where the city picked it up (but most towns arent that lucky with free branch pick up), the rest we chopped up and stacked on multiple wood racks around my yard. One of the guys that helped us is a buddy of mine who is a professional tree cutter. He said they would probably charge $1500-2500 for that job. Large component of the price is that all skilled labor costs have jumped astronomically since COVID and its hard to find people that do that work.

Its an easy job, if you got a few days and a chainsaw.

The city trash service as they pull up to Araysar's house

figure-2.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i'm getting 800 to 1200 just for the fallen trunk removal, everyone is really recommending i remove the tree, theyve said this bradford pear will just grow up and out and it looks rotted on the inside, cuz water got in from the top?

3 to 4k for tree removal not including stump. 1 guy that has good nextdoor reviews said 2400 to take care of it all and stump removal

i probably would have just done the tree removal w/ my neighbor but this rotted tree has me feeling antsy, so i'm just probably gonna take care of it all in one go

Palum

what Suineg set it to
i'm getting 800 to 1200 just for the fallen trunk removal, everyone is really recommending i remove the tree, theyve said this bradford pear will just grow up and out and it looks rotted on the inside, cuz water got in from the top?

3 to 4k for tree removal not including stump. 1 guy that has good nextdoor reviews said 2400 to take care of it all and stump removal

i probably would have just done the tree removal w/ my neighbor but this rotted tree has me feeling antsy, so i'm just probably gonna take care of it all in one go

Got pictures of the tree wound? It really depends. If its rotted into the core of the tree it will likely die. However I've saved a few trees that had some rotted large limbs, letting them dry out for a couple days to see how damp it still is and then using tree wound dressing if its missing bark or the cut is perpendicular to the ground.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

i would just remove the trunk, hollow out the stump (should be easy if its rotted inside the trunk), fill it with dirt, plant some flowers in it.

let the next owner pay for stump removal if he doesnt like your cool flower pot

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got pictures of the tree wound? It really depends. If its rotted into the core of the tree it will likely die. However I've saved a few trees that had some rotted large limbs, letting them dry out for a couple days to see how damp it still is and then using tree wound dressing if its missing bark or the cut is perpendicular to the ground.
2.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Yea that's pretty deep. Is it really wet in there? If it's an attractive tree otherwise I'd still be tempted to try and save it, just keep an eye on that and see if keeps rotting. But that's a cost analysis I guess. Also depends how sturdy it is, hard to tell depth with the picture but it looks like the other trunks are well supported but hard to see how far that core goes.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yea that's pretty deep. Is it really wet in there? If it's an attractive tree otherwise I'd still be tempted to try and save it, just keep an eye on that and see if keeps rotting. But that's a cost analysis I guess. Also depends how sturdy it is, hard to tell depth with the picture but it looks like the other trunks are well supported but hard to see how far that core goes.
it's all black inside, 1 dude just reached in and removed a 1/2in sized dead area, the outside looks like but it looks like it's gonna split and fall over

Palum

what Suineg set it to
it's all black inside, 1 dude just reached in and removed a 1/2in sized dead area, the outside looks like but it looks like it's gonna split and fall over

Yea physics sucks sometimes. Sad to see a good tree go.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

thats how my hickory tree was, an inch wide circle of wood on the outside, all black sawdust on the inside.

its gone, bro.