Horizon 2: Forbidden West

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Having a much better time this go around. I skipped everything when I got the quest to go to Meridian. Last time I played I got caught for days and days getting distracted. Not this time!

have the quest for frozen wilds but it’s level 30. I can’t go in there yet for better gear right? I’m only level 16.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Having a much better time this go around. I skipped everything when I got the quest to go to Meridian. Last time I played I got caught for days and days getting distracted. Not this time!

have the quest for frozen wilds but it’s level 30. I can’t go in there yet for better gear right? I’m only level 16.
I went there at like 17-18. Left when I was low 50s and fully geared which trivialized the main game. You will die and run a lot but I had fun doing it at lower levels.

Randin

Trakanon Raider

One of the quests in the main story takes you right up to where Frozen Wilds starts; I usually just head up there at that point, which will also have you at about the right level.

Crone

One of the quests in the main story takes you right up to where Frozen Wilds starts; I usually just head up there at that point, which will also have you at about the right level.
Yea, I've done this play through a little weird, but it's worked out and has kept me going so that's a plus. I burned out way before now on previous play-throughs.

I'm Level 29 and have finished the Ereden Sun King main story where the guy's sister dies, and now I'm onto the main story quest way up North investigating more about my Mother. I'm way over-leveled for it and that's ok. I have cleared out all the Bandit Camps, gotten all the Tall Necks, done a few quests into the Hunter's Lodge, done a bunch of side quests, etc. Given I'm right at the level it says to do it, I'm not sure if I should continue the main game storyline or go into Frozen Wilds at this point.

Crone

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the game which I've touched on in the HZD thread. No matter how many upgrades you get or gear upgrades you get that piece of shit Strider still takes out the same percentage of health no matter what. I have 490 health at level 29, and say I feel like running into a pack of Striders to just demolish them? Oh wait, I get cocky or more likely greedy and get tagged by his back leg kick. Why should it still take 30% of my health? Why isn't that taking like 10 health in total? It makes gear and mods pointless because it doesn't actually make you feel more powerful.

Am I doing it wrong? Should I have been hoarding metal shards to try and buy Armor upgrades from the merchants long before level 30? Do most of those upgrades come from the main quest, and by skipping that I've fucked my gear "upgrade path" if you will, and that's why it seems so off? At level 30 I feel like I should be able to be surrounded by 4 Striders, just standing there, and be able to live for a hell of a long time.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Was super-interested in this game (and was going to finally play the original in preparation for it) until I saw that fucking jawline.

I might still play the original. She's actually feminine in that one.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Rationalize it anyway you want but Aloy sticks out because shes meh at best where as male protagonist in big name games are always aesthetically pleasing aka attractive. Your brain notices that, but the SJWs just reeee "how dare you sexist pig, you just want women to be barbies!" and even worse rally behind such an eye rolling design choice as if it adds anything of value to the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The bottom line is you made a fucking ugly ass character to play in your millions of dollars game. And people dont want to look at ugly for 30, 50, 80 hours or however long this shit is. Its just a bad decision. Who gives a shit what the motive behind it is, although we all know what it is.

Its also funny how in society the women themselves dress up in sexy tight fitting shit, their boobs popping out, spend hours on makeup, buy 6" heels that are uncomfortable as hell to wear in order to look sexy, but yet we cant have this shit in video games anymore. Its sexist. Fuck off with this nonsense. Weve been selling sex on both sides for ever. Why? Because it fucking sells. Ugly does not, no matter how many blue hair dykes want this to be so.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Am I doing it wrong? Should I have been hoarding metal shards to try and buy Armor upgrades from the merchants long before level 30? Do most of those upgrades come from the main quest, and by skipping that I've fucked my gear "upgrade path" if you will, and that's why it seems so off? At level 30 I feel like I should be able to be surrounded by 4 Striders, just standing there, and be able to live for a hell of a long time.
You definitely get a lot more powerful with upgrades, but at no point on anything but the lowest difficulty can you just let machines melee you. The melee attacks in this game all do a lot of damage and almost all of them knock you down.

You get more powerful and can take more hits but the basic gameplay loop remains the same: attack monster weakpoints from range. Don't let yourself get knocked down. Use herbs and consumables to stay alive.

By the end of the game you only end up with 4x as much health as you started with, 30ish percent resist certain damage types, and you do about 3-4x as much damage, but it's not like an MMO where you just trivialize lower level areas by being 10-100x more powerful.

So yes, you're doing it wrong if you're letting yourself get surrounded by 4 machines beating on you.

And that article reads like the person who said Cuphead was bad because they suck at video games.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Enob

Golden Knight of the Realm

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the game which I've touched on in the HZD thread. No matter how many upgrades you get or gear upgrades you get that piece of shit Strider still takes out the same percentage of health no matter what. I have 490 health at level 29, and say I feel like running into a pack of Striders to just demolish them? Oh wait, I get cocky or more likely greedy and get tagged by his back leg kick. Why should it still take 30% of my health? Why isn't that taking like 10 health in total? It makes gear and mods pointless because it doesn't actually make you feel more powerful.

I just beat ultra hard to 100% the first and you're basically correct. Leveling is 10 HP and a skill point and nothing else. Lots of skills are worthless making it even less noteworthy.

Survivability comes almost exclusively from modifications and armor mostly just gives you more mod slots. All you really need is the stealth armor and melee resist armor. Ranged resist maybe but that's mostly humans which are very easy. Nothing uses pure elemental damage and everything's hardest attacks are usually melee anyway. You can swap outfits mid combat and I think this was the design. I think I was at 81 or 86 melee resist at the end.

For skipping main quest, no rewards offer much in progression. 90% of gear is from vendors. If you loot all the enemies and sell everything you're quickly dripping in shards.

For offense, triple shot hunter's bows are the only thing you need and I didn't use anything else for ultra hard.

I usually play games on normal difficulty and HZD was piss easy even on the hardest. I died once because I forgot to swap armor on a corrupted thunderjaw and like 5 times to falling. That was it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Says the guy who's only attracted to characters that look exactly like Mercy.
bro come on now youre better than this

1643647627052.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Says the guy who's only attracted to characters that look exactly like Mercy.

I thought Aloy was awesome in the first one.
This is the "type" of woman that shivers me timbers.

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

michelle-rodriguez-avatar-2009-C3T2GJ.jpg

mad-max-2000.jpg

rose-namajunas-zhang-weili.jpg

None of the pictures I've seen posted of H2 make me see a full woke hambeast transformation like I'd expect or others are saying, but it does look like they tried to make subtle changes because of "unrealistic beauty standards", and that's pretty fucking annoying.

Did she have a kid? Is her face fatter because she's in a cave 24/7 with an infant hanging off her nipples? Cool, makes sense then.

Is she fatter because some blue hairs wanted to make her fatter? Regardless of whether or not I find mundane or uncommon traits attractive, changing that shit for anything other than an explicable reason in the story is fucking retarded and people should stop using their jobs as an opportunity for manipulative cultural imperialism.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I just beat ultra hard to 100% the first and you're basically correct. Leveling is 10 HP and a skill point and nothing else. Lots of skills are worthless making it even less noteworthy.

Survivability comes almost exclusively from modifications and armor mostly just gives you more mod slots. All you really need is the stealth armor and melee resist armor. Ranged resist maybe but that's mostly humans which are very easy. Nothing uses pure elemental damage and everything's hardest attacks are usually melee anyway. You can swap outfits mid combat and I think this was the design. I think I was at 81 or 86 melee resist at the end.

For skipping main quest, no rewards offer much in progression. 90% of gear is from vendors. If you loot all the enemies and sell everything you're quickly dripping in shards.

For offense, triple shot hunter's bows are the only thing you need and I didn't use anything else for ultra hard.

I usually play games on normal difficulty and HZD was piss easy even on the hardest. I died once because I forgot to swap armor on a corrupted thunderjaw and like 5 times to falling. That was it.
Also freezing opponents then striking vulnerable spots with triple shot hardened arrows and max physical damage mods on your bow.

Freeze damage slowly fills up a blue bar that when complete will lock the enemy in place for a few seconds and increase damage taken from physical attacks.

Most weapons do pitiful freeze damage though so it's hardly worth it.

Except for the slingshot bombs. Those with with max freeze damage mods was the best weapon for filling up the freeze bar. I remember two to three volleys of those would freeze almost anything and almost nothing survived long enough to need to be frozen again.

You can down thunderjaws pretty quick this way. I remember that was my method for beating all the time attack trials on the hardest difficulty.

Also that jump shot that slows down time is pretty overpowered.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Most weapons do pitiful freeze damage though so it's hardly worth it.
Not really. Both the Lodge Bow and the Banuk Bow do a shitload of freeze damage modded. Frost Bombs and Frost Traps are really good early on though. The slings in general are really useful, I would not have been able to beat the last hunting trial in the DLC if I didn't have a fully modded blast sling just to put out enough DPS to kill those frostbears of doom.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Its also funny how in society the women themselves dress up in sexy tight fitting shit, their boobs popping out, spend hours on makeup, buy 6" heels that are uncomfortable as hell to wear in order to look sexy, but yet we cant have this shit in video games anymore. Its sexist. Fuck off with this nonsense. Weve been selling sex on both sides for ever. Why? Because it fucking sells. Ugly does not, no matter how many blue hair dykes want this to be so.
The women who dress up aren't the ones complaining about boobs in video game. The women complaining are hambeasts who couldn't get a date with a rapist.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

You "Sound" like you're at the part you can do the Shield armor quest line. That armor is more than enough to let you wade into shit for at least a few seconds. Though I always thought setting up traps was far more worth it. Follow this guide.