Horizon: An American Saga, Part 1

Bald Brah

Lord Nagafen Raider
The first half was pretty straightforward and interesting. Typical western fare but filmed well. Much grander sets and more action than your typical western.

The second half devolved into a bunch of super fast cuts with little or no dialogue. Just stuff happens. No rhyme or reason. Just jumping around to a bunch of different old west scenes like you have a bad case of teleportitis. Very odd choice of technique. I guess it's showing years passing in a few minutes but this goes on for like 30 minutes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Watched this last night and this is a good Western story, no politics, no "but the Indians were the good guys", no shoe-horned black characters where they wouldn't exist, no inexplicable male nudity. There were a couple of black dudes in one scene that I couldn't figure out why they were there (in the San Pedro valley in 1859-1863) but nothing like the UN casting you get today.

I'm not going to say breath of fresh air, but it was fine. I will watch part 2.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The Dead Don't Hurt with Viggo (Aragon) I believe
Old Henry
The Sisters Brothers with John C Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix
Sisters Brothers was fucking great. I really liked that one and thought it went under the radar.

I'll have to check out The Dead Don't Hurt. I haven't seen that one and I'm a sucker for anything Western.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>

Kevin Costner’s $100M movie ‘Horizon’ ends theatrical run with huge financial loss​

$100 million to film, $32.6 million at the end of it's theatrical run. Ep 2 no longer has a release date.

I bet he's glad he trashed that marriage, Yellowstone, and mortgaged his property for this.

• 1Solidarity

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>

Kevin Costner’s $100M movie ‘Horizon’ ends theatrical run with huge financial loss​

$100 million to film, $32.6 million at the end of it's theatrical run. Ep 2 no longer has a release date.

I bet he's glad he trashed that marriage, Yellowstone, and mortgaged his property for this.
That's really too bad that he didn't just try to work out some sort of deal to do this on a streaming platform. I want to see something like this be successful. Maybe he did try to shop it around, no clue.

Wonder if the other parts are going to happen now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That's really too bad that he didn't just try to work out some sort of deal to do this on a streaming platform. I want to see something like this be successful. Maybe he did try to shop it around, no clue.

Wonder if the other parts are going to happen now.
Didn't sound like it. Per the article Pt 2 which has already been filmed will be shown at some film festival but it 'lost it's release date'. Not sure how that works.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just like "Rebel Moon" this shit needs to be a mini-series on a streaming service. Fuck, Hulu probably would have gave him a great deal. Just older people that arent "hip" to the new things probably.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Didn't sound like it. Per the article Pt 2 which has already been filmed will be shown at some film festival but it 'lost it's release date'. Not sure how that works.

Means they don't want to spend the money marketing it, or creating the copies / prints of the film itself. Also smaller movies may have to rent the "reels" from the theater itself if its a n indie movie or not Disney etc. Its why a lot of indie movies get limited releases in two cities, since there are some theaters that will not charge a film that in those locations.

For now they are probably seeing how it does on streaming to drum up interest after the VOD period is over. If they get a lot of views they may change marketing strategies for the film, or flat decide a lot of people may be interested in part two if they see a lot of accounts finished the film in its entirety.

lurker

Vyemm Raider

Well that's too bad. I was looking forward to seeing the rest.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Streaming on Max ....Next Friday

You know , what it should have been from the jump.
criminal minds film GIF by Arrow Video

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wife and I both looked at each other after an hour and bailed.
The first hour was the worst. The rest was a little better. I guess.

Meh.

Im kind of surprised this is getting as good of reviews as it is.

Last edited:
  • 1Like