House of the Dragon

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
The weirdest thing about their ecology is that they lay eggs the size of cantaloupes yet they are the size of 747s. Size wise it's like if human babies were blackheads that came out of your pores.

They don't run off to make colonies because throughout the ~250 year history of dragons in westeros there has only ever been 4 mated pairs across 3 generations of dragons and they were all bonded to riders. Vhagar is literally the grand mother to every dragon alive, Balerion is their grandfather and he died a few decades before this show's timeline. They have such ridiculously long lifespans that its barely been a single dragon lifetime from their arrival in westeros until they are all killed off (what this show is about)

Also none of the wild dragons were female. Plus Cannibal the wild dragon who is nearly as old as Balerion, eats most of the eggs or hatchlings that are not taken care of so the Targaryans begin collecting all the dragon eggs and storing them, but without heat they don't incubate, they turn to stone.

Why don't the mothers defend the eggs? Does Cannibal or the other riderless dragons (or even the claimed dragons when the owners are off sleeping or whatever) feast on the local villagers on the regular? They seem to have ZERO issue eating groups of people inside dragonstone after all.

Pandas and Kangeroos have rediculously small embryonic babies compared to the adult size.

I'm trying to think of an egg that is tiny but the animal eventually is huge. I know they are out there. It all depends if the parents can feed the babies right after hatch and if the babies are not needed to be able to fend for themselves and walk around or not. (Like ostrich chicks MUST be able to walk soon after hatch and follow their parents and forage on their own, so the eggs MUST be big enough to support the development of a chick that can do all that soon after hatch).

Seems there should be way more Dragons than there are.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Why doesnt my 80 pound labrador run off and found a dog colony.

VBecause from birth she learned to listen to a select few, and we feed her.

But there ARE tons of feral dog populations around the world. Why aren't these feral dragons doing the same?

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Why don't the mothers defend the eggs? Does Cannibal or the other riderless dragons (or even the claimed dragons when the owners are off sleeping or whatever) feast on the local villagers on the regular? They seem to have ZERO issue eating groups of people inside dragonstone after all.

Pandas and Kangeroos have rediculously small embryonic babies compared to the adult size.

I'm trying to think of an egg that is tiny but the animal eventually is huge. I know they are out there. It all depends if the parents can feed the babies right after hatch and if the babies are not needed to be able to fend for themselves and walk around or not. (Like ostrich chicks MUST be able to walk soon after hatch and follow their parents and forage on their own, so the eggs MUST be big enough to support the development of a chick that can do all that soon after hatch).

Seems there should be way more Dragons than there are.
The truth is the whole dragon family tree is not very well thought out or explained in the books and it is not accurately represented in the show. (there should be *waaaaay* more dragons given how often female dragons lay clutches of eggs and how much time has passed), it's all hand waved away with "the dragon eggs are collected by the targaryans for safe keeping, to put in cribs with their own infants so that the babies can bond with their dragon, and to keep them away from Cannibal" So basically only a miniscule handful of dragons are born despite the amount of eggs laid.

All the tamed dragons (ie most of them) are living on dragonstone or in the dragon pit in king's landing and they are all fed by servants so there is no reason to go eating people. There are only 3 wild dragons, Cannibal who eats injured/dead/young dragons, Sheepstealer who eats livestock, and Grey Ghost who eats fish. All 3 nest on dragonstone in their own caves (there isn't one central mega cavernous complex like in the show, just a variety of caves and dens where the dragons roost)

yeah about marsupial and other animals that give birth to extremely premature fetuses weeks after gestation, doesn't really fit with the egg laying animals, and even then the size comparison is not even close. For kangaroos, 1 inch fetus when born to 60 inch tall adult is a 1:60 ratio vs 6 inch diameter egg vs 300 foot long adult dragon is 1:600 ratio. that's an extreme difference in size. as far as weight goes I think Panda's are the most extreme weight difference, but the size difference is similar to Red Kangaroos.

There's nothing in nature that has such extreme size differences between egg and adult.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Can't the GOT dragons change sex, either that or they're trannies
no. The TV show had a poorly interpreted scene about dragons being neither male nor female, which was a misquoted and poor take regarding an unrelated prophecy they made up (an issue of unreliable narrator), but this was a show continuity error. In the books the dragons have either dongs or vags for life, no sex change operations sorry

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Ocean fish can grow huge and come from tiny eggs. Maybe anacondas? Crocs? Only thing I can think that would hit similar ratios is fish. Sharks keep their eggs inside them so not sure if that counts, but the sunfish lays 2.5mm eggs and can get 11ft long and almost 3 tons.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
no. The TV show had a poorly interpreted scene about dragons being neither male nor female, which was a misquoted and poor take regarding an unrelated prophecy they made up (an issue of unreliable narrator), but this was a show continuity error. In the books the dragons have either dongs or vags for life, no sex change operations sorry

we know that things like "milk of the poppy" are their way of saying "morphine". It's not unrealistic to think that Westeros has their fair share of endocrine disruptors that are making the frogs gay and the fish transgender. The dragons are part of the food chain.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Ocean fish can grow huge and come from tiny eggs. Maybe anacondas? Crocs? Only thing I can think that would hit similar ratios is fish. Sharks keep their eggs inside them so not sure if that counts, but the sunfish lays 2.5mm eggs and can get 11ft long and almost 3 tons.

yeah I was trying to stay away from the fish or insect examples. I think panda might be the best example as it comes out as a tiny naked embryo looking thing but pandas are not even marsupials that are meant to come out half formed. So probably panda is the closet example of "look at this TINY ass baby being taken are of by a Mother 10000000000000000000x as big."

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
There's nothing in nature that has such extreme size differences between egg and adult.

Not anymore, but now its kind of obvious that they modeled them on the sauropod dinosaurs, the huge biggest ones practiced sea turtle like birth strategy of laying a shit ton of small (for them) eggs and the little dinos just tried to eat and grow as fast as they could to get big enough to not be eaten themselves anymore. Only very few were thought to reach adult size. Just a quick search even said the eggs are cantaloupe sized lol. So yeah, there we go.

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
btw who are the dragonkeepers that look after the dragons? Are they non-Targ valyrians that came over with Aegon the Conqueror as servants? or just dragon cultists?

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>

Komodo Dragons (lol) can do parthenogenesis, i.e. the females can give birth having never even seen a male, much less mated. Maybe they meant dragons can do the same if desperate? I.E. our Khalesi's dragon that flew off with her body can maybe reproduce??????

Chris

Potato del Grande
The truth is the whole dragon family tree is not very well thought out or explained in the books and it is not accurately represented in the show. (there should be *waaaaay* more dragons given how often female dragons lay clutches of eggs and how much time has passed), it's all hand waved away with "the dragon eggs are collected by the targaryans for safe keeping, to put in cribs with their own infants so that the babies can bond with their dragon, and to keep them away from Cannibal" So basically only a miniscule handful of dragons are born despite the amount of eggs laid.
The Targaryens seems to be intentionally limiting the number of dragons born to keep their monopoly over them.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Yeah you are right this is probably the closest from baby to full grown, didn't really consider fish. But that fish basically just shits out like 300 million eggs at once, which is a proportionate amount of material vs body size as any other egg laying animal (from around 1/10 to 1/3 of their body mass, those poor kiwis), just going with raw numbers like sea turtles but to the extreme since 99% will die before reaching adulthood.

Dragon's in Got lay like 2-4 eggs which is about equivalent to a human being losing a single strand of hair in terms of the amount of effort/energy/material they commit to ensuring their offspring survive. Obviously this is fictional I mean they fly and breath fire but they basically do not follow either reproductive evolutionary model; either Quantity or Quality, they just fucking yolo it.
btw who are the dragonkeepers that look after the dragons? Are they non-Targ valyrians that came over with Aegon the Conqueror as servants? or just dragon cultists?
who knows this shit is entirely made up for the show. They don't have keepers in the book they are fed by the servants same as any other beast, but only the targ riders themselves go into their lairs to collect their eggs or try and ride them. if this show doesn't get cancelled and actually follows the book you will see the deaths of several targaryans of team black who attempt to enter the wrong dragons lair or ride the wrong dragon.
The Targaryens seems to be intentionally limiting the number of dragons born to keep their monopoly over them.
The only family capable of riding dragons intentionally limits the number of dragons to keep their monopoly over....riding dragons. riiiight. I know you don't read the books and don't understand the show at all because you are simple minded but do you not recall how big a deal they just made over the last 2-3 episodes over having non-targaryans attempt to tame dragons? did you see how many died in the attempt or pay attention to any of the history or lore when they discuss how many have died before? Do you know how many true born targaryans have died trying to tame a dragon who didn't want them? Do you not pick up on all the conversation and pity over Rhaena, who despite her efforts hasn't been able to find a dragon who will accept her?

Komodo Dragons (lol) can do parthenogenesis, i.e. the females can give birth having never even seen a male, much less mated. Maybe they meant dragons can do the same if desperate? I.E. our Khalesi's dragon that flew off with her body can maybe reproduce??????
Unfortunately Drogon is male so he can't lay eggs. Also after this war the only dragon left alive is a hatchling female called Morning (which is weird cus it's Rhaena's dragon but they are also giving her sheepstealer, whatevs), but she does not experience parthenogenesis either.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
FYI, an HD quality copy of the finale has reportedly leaked online, titled 'The Queen Who Ever Was'

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
about 30 minutes of it leaked to fucking tiktok, across 14 2 minute clips, what a joke this generation is

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Almost like in the ancient days of internet at college. Want to download a 100kb boobies jpg? Mail a ftp script to the server (don't forget to switch to binary mode!), receive a bunch of segments, uudecode them, merge them together, voila. One jpg served after an hour or two of waiting and some handywork. Hopefully no weird errors and you didn't mess something up or exceeded storage quota!

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I only now watched episode 7 - The Red Sowing - and I liked it a lot. Now this is what House of the Dragon should be. The last part was amazing, and the Riverland story was great as well. House Tully rules. The dragons rule.

Oldbased

> Than U
I liked how the dragon roasts white man knowing he is weak and incapable but then seeks out random black dudes to be the choosen. I bet that big dragon a few episodes back lasts thoughts were F'n white women as it plunged to the ground.

Should make for a good finale, lots of white people left to cook.

• 1Tiresome
Reactions: 1 user