House of the Dragon

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love how binary peoples posts are.

It's either the worst dumpster fire ever made, or it's amazing and stfu if you dont love every part. Like can we have some nuance or is that too much to ask.

so far enjoying the series, bit of a slow burn but expected from GOT. Hasn't gotten to season 7/8 retardedness yet so I am happy.
Thought the same as well. Its not the best show on tv right now and certainly not the worst. Im a solid 6/10 on it. I like ROP more. But look forward to seeing each episode every week. This show is definitely burning at a extreme slow pace, hopefully building to some good payoffs later.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think the king prob dies in EP 5/6 right before/after the time jump? Kicking off everything. Or Episode 9 being the semi-climax of like most GOT, with ep 10 kind of setting up next seasons.

The show is def better than rings of power.
are they gonna explain why he's got lesions? does anyone know? do you get lesions for being a pussy?

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
are they gonna explain why he's got lesions? does anyone know? do you get lesions for being a pussy?
I am pretty sure the throne literally cuts/kills people due to the blades. I can't imagine all those blades are sanitary/clean. No different than how Drogo dies basically.

Juvarisx

Florida

In the first episode there is a really quick shot of the King getting a small cut from the iron throne. From what I understand of the lore, if the Throne rejects you it will hurt you from trying to sit on it at this stage (notice its quite sharper and unorganized at this time).

Necrotizing Fasciitis from that cut is a condition that presents in the same was as the king is going through (it started on his finger cut that he was shown to receive) and spreads from there.

Ofc the actor is saying its leprosy so you can take what I said with a grain of salt but being cut by the throne plays a part later on in the civil war timeline so we will see.

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I agree, so far it's just like the good older seasons of Game of Thrones before people started teleporting, but the characters don't seem as strong.

I'm certaintly not telling people to watch this like I did with the original, but there's nothing wrong with it at all and I won't tell people to stay away like with Rings of Power.
That's sums up how I feel as well quite nicely.

The characters and overarching plot might not be as compelling as early Game of Thrones, but it's also kind of refreshing to not have the insane build up from it that ultimately crashed and burned in disappointment. The best parts were early on leading with the politics, and while there was a ton of promise for what was to come, D&D ultimately fucked it up, while the writing took a nosedive in favor of flashy CGI that couldn't compensate.

Perhaps my main criticism of HotD is that they do keep bringing up the Long Night, Song of Ice and Fire, The Prince Who Was Promised, ect., when we already bloody know what a crock that all turned out to be. It would be one thing if HBO did some (admittedly unrealistic) damage control and retconned the hell out of D&D's botched ending some way, some how prior to HotD, but they just can't help but keep saying this shit that is a direct reminder of how pointless the original series was by the time it was through.

Other than that though, we at least don't have some looming threat of apocalyptic proportions or cross continental plot tug of war going on (i.e., Westeros, Essos, Bravos all trying to fight for screen time), so the show can just focus on this Dance of Dragons build up instead.
When you repeatedly do absolutely nothing to suggest sufficient time has passed for long distance travel, it starts to get tiresome.

Speaking of time skips, do they really need to recast characters for a ten year jump? Would it really have been that hard to make Milly Allthecocks look like she's in her early to mid thirties with some creative wardrobe and makeup? It was already something of an uphill battle to generate interest in them and it's going to destroy continuity to have the two central actresses suddenly be recast when nobody else is.
I was as critical and skeptical as anyone could be going on, but I completely agree because although it took bit get their footing in the roles, I've warmed up to the lead actresses and think they're doing a great job. Switching in the middle of the first season feels like we could have to go through the same thing, but not with the benefit of being a completely new show with all new characters.

They are also talking to Henry Cavill. Not sure if they need both to do the deal for Season 2.

But they started talking to both Cavill and Olsen about it at the same time. They are at the top of the list for Season 2 casting.
Hopefully they get Cavill, Netflix doesn't deserve him for The Witcher after the way they handled it (like everything else).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Man if it wasnt at the end of the story Cavill as Creegan Stark would be fantastic.
Actually that would be a perfect role for a high profile actor.

He's invovled in the ending and until then it's a short flight out to Northern Ireland once a year for some small appearances.

I'm also reminded that some of the best GoT actors/characters are from Season 2, like Tywin Lannister.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm trying to give both this and LotR a chance, ignoring all the culture war things that normally annoy me(and these shows really had a lot pre-season hate to poison the well - some deserved). I want to judge these shows based on their writing/acting alone, as difficult as it may be sometimes. That said, I am enjoying HotD so far; definitely seems better written than the last season of GoT. I haven't watched LotR at all yet, though.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Speaking of time skips, do they really need to recast characters for a ten year jump?

She was clearly cast because she's 20 but looks 14-15. Sure, they could use makeup but they went for the different actress approach. The actress who plays Alicent could easily have been kept, although her older casting has a high resemblance

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1663180768684.png

1663180600150.png

• 1Barf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ossoi Ossoi It was never about only the sea snake. House of the Dragon doesn't care about any of it's characters.

The recast is just icing on the cake. "Get another dick chopping in there or some incest" - fatass

1663181247005.png

• 1Like

Jozu

The best part of the last episode was the young ginger who took out his sword like an aggro'd NPC Skyrim Guard and cut down a man more than twice his age like it wasnt a big deal. The show needs more shit like this.

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The best part of the last episode was the young ginger who took out his sword like an aggro'd NPC Skyrim Guard and cut down a man more than twice his age like it wasnt a big deal. The show needs more shit like this.

He was ginger?

Oldbased

> Than U
I watch everything good or bad.
HotD I actually look at the day to see when the next episode is, LotR I didn't watch till Sunday.
Says it all.

Jozu

He looked like the ginger type.

My point stands was the best scene of the episode.

Oldbased

> Than U
It was a funny scene, even if yet another woken token. Bullies get the sword. Now kids going to be like Cap'n Marvel and beating on men 2x their size only to get dick whacked because it worked in Pedowood.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users