House of the Dragon

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
From what I saw the dragons look pretty huge in the show, and in the books (i never read them) I thought Aegon III (daemon and raehnrya's son) hated dragons and didnt try to save them. So unless they got as small as dogs in less than 25 years I dont think that is the case.

edit: Them getting smaller because of being chained up makes sense I guess.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
From what I saw the dragons look pretty huge in the show, and in the books (i never read them) I thought Aegon III (daemon and raehnrya's son) hated dragons and didnt try to save them. So unless they got as small as dogs in less than 25 years I dont think that is the case.
They discuss them shrinking over time in S1 of GoT. I believe its Joffrey explaining it to Sansa. The size of a dog is close to an exact quote.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A rewatch of GoT lets you see her evolve the character. For me its the opposite of Arya. Early seasons of Arya is great and then she goes to shit. Sansa is basically worthless window dressing and then after little Finger sells her into white slavery she grows from that experience.
She's still stupid even after she finally starts learning, she's just not confidently aggressive with her stupidity like her mother was. But that meek, sheltered, kinda stupid girl she started the series as was right out of the books.

And I think Arya herself was fine, the shit writers just did an exceptionally bad job adapting her faceless men plotline (even by the already low standards of seasons 6 and 7) and I seriously doubt GRRM included in his notes for the rest of the series "oh and after all time we spent building up this confrontation between Jon and the Night King, have Jon be completely uninvolved as Arya effortlessly kills him by poking him in the tummy with a dagger". One of the writers/showrunners was as obsessed with Arya as that Square-Enix exec who sleeps with a Lightning body-pillow.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah maybe you are right about the dog thing, but isnt HotD 170 years ago or whatever? From what Ive gathered most of the dragons were dead and or starting to get small, what 150 years ago? I guess a species of animal can go extinct quite quickly. Maybe it did only take 30 years for the dragons to die off.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
It is 44 years from the day Daemon declares himself King of the Stepstones to the 'extinction' of dragons.

The current generation of dragons (Rhaenyra's Syrax/Daemon's Caraxes/Rhaenys' Red Queen) is the last one where they are being effectively bred and raised to full size. In the books they were already beginning to hatch smaller dragons, some of them completely useless (the 12 year old Viserys was supposed to marry had an egg put in her cradle but it was born without wings and died early.) The generation after this one has several rideable dragons but they are much smaller, and the breeding stock is completely obliterated/producing invalid egg clutches/spawning dog-sized whelps. Balerion was the largest of all the dragons and was ridden by Viserys I early in his reign but is dead by the start of the show.

Without being too spoilery the actions of the Targs directly cause their extinction.

Drogon/Viserion/Rhaegal (Danaerys' boys) are most likely from an ancient clutch that had already been produced by the time of HotD. I'm pretty certain at some point the implication is that Drogon is 'Balerion reborn'.

Daemon_vs_Aemond.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Did the Targs have special dragon handlers in order to breed them? Im curious as to why they just died out. Did the civil war just kind of kill all of the female dragons or something?
Ironically, this time period is the height of the dragon population. I believe the Targ's have 20 dragons before the Dance starts. This coming from only having 3 in the time of Aegon the Conqueror. So as you can imagine, just like the Targaeryans themselves, inbreeding takes a toll. Although as previously mentioned, it is speculated the Maesters wanted them gone. But there are no concrete details about how they would have achieved such a thing.

By the end of this there is only a few wild dragons and one or two left to the winners of the Dance. As seen by Balerion, even the mightiest of dragons will only live a couple centuries before dieing.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Did the Targs have special dragon handlers in order to breed them? Im curious as to why they just died out. Did the civil war just kind of kill all of the female dragons or something?
I think that this is the true story of the show - how the dragons died out.

There's evidence in the books that the Maesters orchestrated them dying off. And who rules Maester town? The Hightowers, in Oldtown, which used to be the capital pre conquest.

They bent the knee and played the long game, while the King of The Reach fought and was burned alive along with his entire house - which the Tyrells supplanted.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Goatface

don't think the maesters would really had to do much. if they only started with 1 male and 2 females. reading the lore, dragons only lay eggs 2-3 times in a lifetime with 1-5 eggs each time. not enough offspring to be able to handle that low of genetic diversity. also add to that, they were not even trying to hatch them until a targaeryan was born.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
these actors are charming in real life

very racist though that house valeyron is missing, can valeryons not spell?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Was falling asleep on sofa as it's 236 am, but the episode was more zzz inducing.

It's still more like the soap throne than iron

Oldbased

> Than U
“When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground.”
–Queen Cersei

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
She's still stupid even after she finally starts learning, she's just not confidently aggressive with her stupidity like her mother was. But that meek, sheltered, kinda stupid girl she started the series as was right out of the books.

And I think Arya herself was fine, the shit writers just did an exceptionally bad job adapting her faceless men plotline (even by the already low standards of seasons 6 and 7) and I seriously doubt GRRM included in his notes for the rest of the series "oh and after all time we spent building up this confrontation between Jon and the Night King, have Jon be completely uninvolved as Arya effortlessly kills him by poking him in the tummy with a dagger". One of the writers/showrunners was as obsessed with Arya as that Square-Enix exec who sleeps with a Lightning body-pillow.
There is no "night king" in the books, so no big bad for anyone to assassinate. That was all created for the show.

There was a night's king way back in the age of legends who was the like 13th lord commander of the nights watch, who married a female white walker and ruled the nights watch as a king. He was killed by some famous stark king i forget.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There is no "night king" in the books, so no big bad for anyone to assassinate. That was all created for the show.

There was a night's king way back in the age of legends who was the like 13th lord commander of the nights watch, who married a female white walker and ruled the nights watch as a king. He was killed by some famous stark king i forget.
I knew he was TV exclusive had assumed it was GRRM's idea, like something he wished he had included in the books. After looking it up I guess it was the creation of Benioff and Weiss, so maybe their plan all along was to sUbVeRt ExPeCtAtIoNs with the Arya killsteal.

spronk

FPS noob
goddamn that was a great episode. I could feel the tension radiate from my screen from the whole wedding scene, never expected shit to go down the way it did.

I haven't read DoD (yet) but I know there is a big #TeamGreen vs #TeamBlack thing and I can see the beginnings of Team Green.

I really appreciate that in Viserys' time its ok to kill a faggot and nobody will stop you or say anything, he is a pretty good King

only 1 death wedding though, pretty tame by Dothraki standards

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users