How much income is enough?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Just going by what a Calc said on cnn.com, what numbers did you come up with?

The "it costs a fuckton to buy anything in SF" number. I don't think those calculators really take into account all you're giving up by living in a closet like Tyen's kids. To get an "equivalent" living space to normal suburbs it'd cost tens of millions.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This may be true, i can get a 50 acre farm here for 400k, would that cost more than 800k in downtown san fran?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This may be true, i can get a 50 acre farm here for 400k, would that cost more than 800k in downtown san fran?

Just a bit!

Think about how any joe schmoe can afford a 4 bedroom house in a normal suburb...

Check 4 bedroom apartment prices in SF or NYC or LA... lets not even get started on the fact that those apartments are probably 1200 sq ft 4 bedrooms...

Sterling

El Presidente
Highest rent rates about 2 years ago was actually in western ND, oil did some work. 1 bedroom apartments were going for over 3k/month.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Here in Brooklyn, recently reconstructed/modernized 900 sq ft lofts are going for $3k/month (not even views of Manhattan skyline, 1st fl BS)

my rent goes up each year :eek:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Here in Brooklyn, recently reconstructed/modernized 900 sq ft lofts are going for $3k/month (not even views of Manhattan skyline, 1st fl BS)

my rent goes up each year :eek:
And that's why I bought property in staten Island. Fuuuuuck Brooklyn prices.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
And that's why I bought property in staten Island. Fuuuuuck Brooklyn prices.

I'm from Staten Island. (lul)

Fuuuuuck that ferry ride or 2.5 hour express bus ride into midtown.

:smuggly:

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I'm from Staten Island. (lul)

Fuuuuuck that ferry ride or 2.5 hour express bus ride into midtown.

:smuggly:

I am from Brooklyn originally. Don't know how happy I would be if I had to work in the city, the public transportation is balls. Luckily half the time I spend in my office on SI and the other half I drive all over.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I make about 90K and the wife which recently went back to work part time adds in about 10-20K more per year. And this is comfortable for us here in Detroit suburbs. Not rich, but definitely not poor either. Pretty much debt free except house, Have a nice 2K sq ft ranch in nice neighborhod, have another place in northern MI, about 3 hours away, to go vacation in that a few acres and 2 huge pole-barns filled with toys like boat, snowmobiles 4x4s, tractor to do work. Work is good and not too stressful, work 9-5, do minimal shit for the most part, get like a month off every year. Plus like 18 days of your standard holidays.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When I took my last job in a suburb of San Antonio and lived in the hill country I was offered 3x the salary from the parent company in the bay area in CA. People were suprised I turned that down. Our office in San Antonio was 1/3 people who left the CA office for a downgrade in pay and were shocked they could afford a real house with land and such.

The president of the company in San Antonio was another gun nut and he said right off, don't do it lol. He was from TX and had lived out there a number of years. No kidding. Everyother Friday at 11 we took off and went shooting. I really didn't see that happening in San Francisco.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah every other Friday we just go to a bar for lunch. And typically don't come back.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Which one is better?

Working 20-24 hours a week for 24k a year, at a job you enjoy.

or

Working 60 hours a week for 70k a year, at a job you hate.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This shouldn't even be a question. That part time job is a dead end and you're getting nowhere in life. Anyone who would pick the former has no ambition and would probably be happy sucking the teet of government assistance.

Once you get to a certain age in life it's time to come to the realization that working for beer money isn't "cool" anymore. You can work 60 hours a week for a year or two for the experience and use it to move on to bigger and better things.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Which one is better?

Working 20-24 hours a week for 24k a year, at a job you enjoy.

or

Working 60 hours a week for 70k a year, at a job you hate.
Uh

I know you're young but for anyone with a family or who wants to do anything in life the answer is clear