How much income is enough?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I feel like I would be a fat slob if I could work remotely. My schedule is the only thing keeping me together!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last job I worked remotely twice a week. On those days I watched twitch all day on my home pc and checked emails every 20 minutes.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Last job I worked remotely twice a week. On those days I watched twitch all day on my home pc and checked emails every 20 minutes.
When I was at the Pentagon my group would telework occasionally, especially during the winter. The best part? None of us had work laptops!

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm pulling $95K + bonus at my corporate job. But the work pace is quite minimal and the benefits here are completely outrageous compared to every single other company I've applied to and got offers from. So I am reluctant to leave it (it is also within biking distance from my house and a few other factors that just make it really nice overall). I like staying in the tech role because management would be dramatically more work effort than I have now.

On the side I make like $50k more between side-tech work revolving around a specific management platform called Deltek Vision that I got into last year, other applications for smaller businesses as I come across them and skydiving instruction in the Austin Area. This is almost entirely unfucking shitty data/poorly managed databases especially Deltek Vision's schema which was designed a long time ago on COMPLETELY different database engineering principles than we use today. The skydiving shit is just better in the sense that instead of spending $10k a year on the sport I now spend $5k a year or so as I get paid in free jumps from the outfit down here.

Been investing since I was 18 and have done pretty well with it overall too. But like some others here I want for nothing, I have all the toys I want and more than enough buffer for future wife/kids/etc and retirement.

Oh I turn 30 this year.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I read his list of the Top 10 cars "smart people" buy and immediately knew I couldn't hack the Mr Mustache lifestyle. At least I like my job, I guess.

I really like Mr. Money Mustache for a variety of things and I learned a lot about, "streamlining" my budget from reading his articles. Some of the shit he does and says is wayyyy over the top for me and the dude is a militant environmentalist.

The dude spends $25 a week on food for a family of 3 and just looking at his family planning menu was UNGH. Not doing that shit. I am also not remotely handy enough to rebuild entire houses nor would I want to do that shit for fun like he does if I was able to.

Despite that, I eliminated a lot of waste by following other parts of his budget and my general tastes were pretty cheap so it was an improvement overall.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
When I was at the Pentagon my group would telework occasionally, especially during the winter. The best part? None of us had work laptops!

haha I know that feel, 2010-2012 I was at DHS/ICE and during the slow period, November -early January I would catch the MARC down, check in for work see who was around than just hop back on the 930 north bound MARC and go home and play DC Universe Online all day long. lol

• 1Solidarity

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I really like Mr. Money Mustache for a variety of things and I learned a lot about, "streamlining" my budget from reading his articles. Some of the shit he does and says is wayyyy over the top for me and the dude is a militant environmentalist.

The dude spends $25 a week on food for a family of 3 and just looking at his family planning menu was UNGH. Not doing that shit. I am also not remotely handy enough to rebuild entire houses nor would I want to do that shit for fun like he does if I was able to.

Despite that, I eliminated a lot of waste by following other parts of his budget and my general tastes were pretty cheap so it was an improvement overall.
This looks interesting, the content in general and the food budget specifically. What an un navigatable mess of a website.

Do you have a link to the food budget bit?

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
There is never "enough" income, depending on your tastes and expectations. I read and enjoy and lot of MMM, but he's absolutely off his tits about some things (cars, groceries, real estate) for the lifestyle I ENJOY leading. For me and my wife, it isn't about having "the best" car, or the biggest house or anything like that, it's more that we enjoy driving cars that are - wait for it - fun to drive. Enjoyable. I have a buddy who makes a good income in the high $100k's, and drives a fucking Subaru Forester. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing wrong with the car, really, as it simply shows he's not into cars (or fun). If you don't mind driving an economical little car that isn't fun to drive, so be it - but I enjoy it. I also enjoy $600/night on hotel rooms when I travel and flying first class (because I can't afford share of netjets... yet). That doesn't mean we don't have enough now, we do and are very fortunate. But, the pull of always wanting more is there, and it isn't driven by status - it's literally just the appeal of leveling up. It's fun, and keeps the business moving especially when you're relatively young (33). My old man retired with practically no money, my mom and dad never go on vacations (except in their Outback to Colorado, etc) and don't spend a ton and are legitimately contented. I'm happy for them, and envious that the lifestyle they enjoy leading is so affordable. Warren Buffet acquires money for the shear thrill of the acquisition - the money itself is largely irrelevant, as he doesn't enjoy fancy vacations, fast cars, or massive homes either. Everyone's perspective is going to vary wildly, and ultimately, however happy you are at whatever income you're at decides how much is enough.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well I guess that depends on a lot of other things as well. You don't have to break the bank to get a car that's fun to drive. A lot of european cars are priced on brand recognition, not engine and body specs. Someone could try to tell me they bought a 3 series because it's fun to drive and I'd tell them their money was better spent on a different vehicle. When it come to cars I feel like if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. Go all out. Don't half ass it on an Audi A4. I feel like that's a waste.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
With my commute so short I have considered a beefier car. My Accord gets filled up like every 2 weeks though.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Well I guess that depends on a lot of other things as well. You don't have to break the bank to get a car that's fun to drive. A lot of european cars are priced on brand recognition, not engine and body specs. Someone could try to tell me they bought a 3 series because it's fun to drive and I'd tell them their money was better spent on a different vehicle. When it come to cars I feel like if you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly. Go all out. Don't half ass it on an Audi A4. I feel like that's a waste.
Which is my next and hopefully last car is a '68 Camaro. I love it for exactly what it is and don't care if anybody notices it.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
More than the amount I've made, I always felt wealthier when my money was aged. Once I got to a point where the bills just paid themselves and I wasn't waiting on a paycheck to cover an expense I actually felt like I was getting somewhere.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think I'm doing really well overall. I make almost $110k at 30 years old. A little more would be nice so I can step up the quality of my vacations or manage to rent a place in Tahoe for the ski season but I'm pretty content right now. Should be getting a decent raise with an impending promotion coming up. Probably my biggest long term concern is housing. I have no idea how I'm ever going to afford a house here in the Bay Area without moving very far outside the city where I have no desire to live. I would honestly rather pay $750k for a 1BR condo here in San Francisco. In SF terms, my rent isn't that bad. I pay $1800/month for my own 1BR apartment. Having your own 1BR spot in SF - especially in my neighborhood - is unheard of. Not a single one of my friends has their own 1BR pad. Just sucks throwing away $1800 every month. But living outside of the, or any, city sounds terrible. Practically everything I enjoy doing requires easy and constant access to city life.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Sheeeit... I'm renting a 4br 2.5ba 2100 sq footer for 1150 a month here in NC. I mean it's about as opposite as you can get from SF, but 100k per year here really goes far.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I considered taking a job in NC a couple years ago. I could have bought a huge house on a lake for the same cost as my 1400 sq ft townhouse in Ft Lauderdale. It was in the middle of nowhere in NC, though. I'm not ready for rural life(just yet)/.

• 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah, I considered taking a job in NC a couple years ago. I could have bought a huge house on a lake for the same cost as my 1400 sq ft townhouse in Ft Lauderdale. It was in the middle of nowhere in NC, though. I'm not ready for rural life(just yet)/.
Just wait until you want to murder you family and bury them in the woods or drop them to the bottom of the lake.

• 1Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I feel like I would really only want to do that if I had to live in the boonies in NC.