How much income is enough?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I guess I'm just amazed at some incomes around here. Thought I was doing good at 93k at 33 but now I feel like a small fish. Probably doesn't help we are single income. Wish she made as much as me sometimes but it's whatever.

Just hoping one day I'll make upwards of 150k

@Vinen I won't make that at a defense contractor and also my skills will be shit. I know.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess I'm just amazed at some incomes around here. Thought I was doing good at 93k at 33 but now I feel like a small fish. Probably doesn't help we are single income. Wish she made as much as me sometimes but it's whatever.

@Vinen I won't make that at a defense contractor and also my skills will be shit. I know.
I'm government, and only making $81k. I'll be 33 this week. It's only because of combined income with my wife that we get into six figures.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

You make enough that you can have a very comfortable life within your means. If you save and spend correctly (and that doesn't mean growing farmers market beans in your backyard) you will have a comfortable retirement as well. I would say most of the upper middle class is in the same situation you are. You're doing fine.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

I'm government, and only making $81k. I'll be 33 this week. It's only because of combined income with my wife that we get into six figures.

30. 120k as a filthy DoD contractor

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I worked in the D.C. shitosphere and capped out at 123k with a clearance. I went consulting for banks back in 2014 and now am at 205k.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You make enough that you can have a very comfortable life within your means. If you save and spend correctly (and that doesn't mean growing farmers market beans in your backyard) you will have a comfortable retirement as well. I would say most of the upper middle class is in the same situation you are. You're doing fine.
Werd, we will be fine and are doing alright. We actually lived the same when I made less.

Its just crazy seeing people making absurd money. Especially with living rooms the size of my house.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The notion of moving to a rural area, actually did cross my mind. My work allows for remote, in fact my manager is 100% remote.
The house prices are really high here.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
We don't take kindly to 7 figure Makin fancy pantsers around here

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The hard question is,

How much is enough 20 years from now?
Retirement planning is getting real...

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
40k a year, laid off, and rehired 2 months later for 52k a year, and now I'm interviewing this week for a non-contract job that'll be in the 65-75k range. This is all within a year of getting my first job as a network tech with a ccna. I spent 8 years in a call center for financial services before this and was laid off there at 53k, so to get back to that level within a year in my new career I'm really happy!

With our 3rd kid just weeks away, something has clicked in the wife and I as well, and we are spending far less on going out and eating at home much more. Food has been our biggest expense, and to reel that in makes a huge difference.

As for what's enough? It's been said, but I want to do what I want to do, within a reasonable amount of time depending on what it is. To get there with my family size, it'll probably be in the 6 figures somewhere.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
100k is a pretty good sweet spot. The problem I've had in looking for jobs that pay more is that they generally require that I either A. move to a bigger metro area in which the cost of living is higher or B. I travel extensively. It does seem like more and more companies are coming up with remote work opportunities though, especially if you are a developer.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
I am shocked by these numbers I see here.
In Romania you need 500 euros / month if you are single, 1000 euros / month as a family. And we have a decent middle class lifestyle, with better Internet than the Americans. Of course, for us is a great struggle to earn 1000 euros/ month, but you fuckers should move to Romania and work remotely. 12.000 euros per year in expenses, 100.000 per month salary - you do the math.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Except here because we can't access stuff outside of work that is classified

Yeah, DOD is never going to be too remote friendly. I'm cool leaving the house every day though personally. I dicked around a lot when I was able to telecommute... almost to the point of feeling guilty. Almost.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You need to up your dicking around skills. True professionals can dick around anywhere. Open-walled cubicles, the lab, other people's computers, you name it.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah, DOD is never going to be too remote friendly. I'm cool leaving the house every day though personally. I dicked around a lot when I was able to telecommute... almost to the point of feeling guilty. Almost.
If you need some pointers let me know

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user